Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Any way to avoid UTIs?

You could try drinking cranberry juice.  It seems that whether or not this will actually help is a subject of debate and study, but at least it can't hurt.  You may even see some other health benefits too.

Edit: some info: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-958/cranberry

It seems according to current thinking it's best use as a precaution and less as a treatment.  So, maybe exactly what you are looking for.

Edited by Dynamic (see edit history)
9 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

You could try drinking cranberry juice.  It seems that whether or not this will actually help is a subject of debate and study, but at least it can't hurt.  You may even see some other health benefits too.

Edit: some info: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-958/cranberry

It seems according to current thinking it's best use as a precaution and less as a treatment.  So, maybe exactly what you are looking for.

I drink Cran-Grape pretty much every day! I wonder if switching to plain old cranberry juice would make any difference...

I've always heard of cranberry as a treatment for bladder issues such as UTI.  Not disputing what Dynamic said, just saying, as someone who has worked in a pharmacy for 15 years (not as a pharmacist) , I have seen a heard a lot in medical terms.  Never heard of cranberry as a preventative, but perhaps.  I think anything is worth a try.  Sleeping in warm wet is bliss.

26 minutes ago, Redd said:

I've always heard of cranberry as a treatment for bladder issues such as UTI.  Not disputing what Dynamic said, just saying, as someone who has worked in a pharmacy for 15 years (not as a pharmacist) , I have seen a heard a lot in medical terms.  Never heard of cranberry as a preventative, but perhaps.

I thought the same, but some cursory searching turned up that cranberries are no longer considered an effective treatment, but they may be an effective prevention.

Here's a short article on the subject: https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/cranberries-for-uti-protection

5 hours ago, Dynamic said:

I thought the same, but some cursory searching turned up that cranberries are no longer considered an effective treatment, but they may be an effective prevention.

Here's a short article on the subject: https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/cranberries-for-uti-protection

I think cranberries themselves are preventative and some of the chemicals derived from cranberries can be a treatment, because I was given Azo for my last UTI.

On 5/9/2018 at 6:52 AM, etoile said:

I think cranberries themselves are preventative and some of the chemicals derived from cranberries can be a treatment, because I was given Azo for my last UTI.

Ive had 3, and i got the answers for you

1. Probably what you said before, you sit in them too long, urine isnt sterile no matter how much water you drink, itll still have bacteria, its ok to have fun sitting in your wet fun for a bit, but too long will highten your risks

2. Wet wipes, before and after wetting, i do this each time ( same with sex, because you can get a UTI from sex as well, believe me it sucks) cleaning the area before and after will clear away bacteria

3. Cranberry juice, pure squeezed juice, you can buy it at any local market, it has to be pure, no sugar, nothing else mixed with it. ONLY DRINK WATER AND CRANBERRY JUICE, no coffee, no soda, no tea (i think some said hot herbal tea might help but most recommend only these two and so do i)

4. Heating pad, as crazy as it sounds, it works and feels great, i had a UTI in december visiting my lover and we had a mini heater, you just kinda spread yourself near it or if thats too hot, get a small wash cloth thats wet and heat it up, either heat it with hot water or maybe the dryer or microwave for a bit, heat helps soothe it very well.

5. Drink water, LOTS of it, once you get one there is no holding until its gone, even if by the next day it doesnt hurt dont stop until you are sure, i stupidly didnt follow this last time and it kept coming back, drink a lot of water and go each time you feel the need to go, ik the pain is scary but the more you drink, the more you go, and the less it hurts

6. Panties off, and keep them off, by wearing underwear, your downstairs department cant breathe and natural sweat and bacteria will cling onto them and it wont help, let everything breathe

7. You should know when its gone when it goes from burning, to tingle, to nothing at all, take a good 3-4 days, even if by the day after you feel fine, dont risk it and add a couple of days to your routine of this so you are sure it doesnt return.

I hope this helps you and future ladies out there, these all helped me very much each time, however, if after 3-4 days there is no change and it burns like satan just lit a match down there, go to a doctor and get antibiotics, the more painful it is, the more risk you bring yourself at with that area of your body, my first ever uti was that bad and they also found small bits of blood, thankfully my other two werent as bad, just take caution

On 5/10/2018 at 5:52 PM, Brittanybunny said:

Ive had 3, and i got the answers for you

1. Probably what you said before, you sit in them too long, urine isnt sterile no matter how much water you drink, itll still have bacteria, its ok to have fun sitting in your wet fun for a bit, but too long will highten your risks

2. Wet wipes, before and after wetting, i do this each time ( same with sex, because you can get a UTI from sex as well, believe me it sucks) cleaning the area before and after will clear away bacteria

3. Cranberry juice, pure squeezed juice, you can buy it at any local market, it has to be pure, no sugar, nothing else mixed with it. ONLY DRINK WATER AND CRANBERRY JUICE, no coffee, no soda, no tea (i think some said hot herbal tea might help but most recommend only these two and so do i)

4. Heating pad, as crazy as it sounds, it works and feels great, i had a UTI in december visiting my lover and we had a mini heater, you just kinda spread yourself near it or if thats too hot, get a small wash cloth thats wet and heat it up, either heat it with hot water or maybe the dryer or microwave for a bit, heat helps soothe it very well.

5. Drink water, LOTS of it, once you get one there is no holding until its gone, even if by the next day it doesnt hurt dont stop until you are sure, i stupidly didnt follow this last time and it kept coming back, drink a lot of water and go each time you feel the need to go, ik the pain is scary but the more you drink, the more you go, and the less it hurts

6. Panties off, and keep them off, by wearing underwear, your downstairs department cant breathe and natural sweat and bacteria will cling onto them and it wont help, let everything breathe

7. You should know when its gone when it goes from burning, to tingle, to nothing at all, take a good 3-4 days, even if by the day after you feel fine, dont risk it and add a couple of days to your routine of this so you are sure it doesnt return.

I hope this helps you and future ladies out there, these all helped me very much each time, however, if after 3-4 days there is no change and it burns like satan just lit a match down there, go to a doctor and get antibiotics, the more painful it is, the more risk you bring yourself at with that area of your body, my first ever uti was that bad and they also found small bits of blood, thankfully my other two werent as bad, just take caution

This is all super helpful! Thank you so much!! I used a heating pad last time too =)

You're welcome! if you wanna be more direct, a wash cloth that's soaked in hot water, since they say its unsafe to put a heating pad directly on your skin since it gets so hot, these all really did help for me, also if you use any "fun" toys, clean them before and after using them, because that is how i got my first ever UTI, its amazing how fast they develop if you don't take caution. I'm glad this helps

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 9:41 PM, etoile said:

I wear to bed semioften, and occasionally sleep in wet diapers, but I've had a few UTIs before and they're really painful and scary, and I know staying in wet protection for too long probably makes me more susceptible =( Does anyone know a good way to lower my risk of getting an infection while wearing?

On 5/7/2018 at 10:18 PM, doc133 said:

Well I would recommend using baby powder to try and absorb as much urine as possible, although this could cause its own problems. If you are supper prone to UTI's then I would say that being wet overnight might just be out of the question. 

I hope this isn't necroposting. But PLEASE DO NOT USE BABYPOWDER. Or if you do buy a non talcum variety. Cervical/Ovarian cancer and all, and it's probably not the best for dudes either. 
There are cornstarch varieties available. They even make really nice scented ones, my S/O likes the lavender one the most. 

12 hours ago, WaifuLifeu said:

I hope this isn't necroposting. But PLEASE DO NOT USE BABYPOWDER. Or if you do buy a non talcum variety. Cervical/Ovarian cancer and all, and it's probably not the best for dudes either. 
There are cornstarch varieties available. They even make really nice scented ones, my S/O likes the lavender one the most. 

I think the talcum thing is common enough knowledge by now that companies have stopped using it :0