Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

5 hours ago, raynice said:

I actually have this video; however, due to the file size of these videos, I am unable to upload it to the site. If someone can point me in the right direction in regards to a safe, free compressor, I will attempt to upload these files again.

If you're looking for a free and open-source file compressor then you should use 7zip ( https://www.7-zip.org/ )

Using 7zip, you should be able to split zip file into multiple files that are small enough to upload individually to the site; 976mb seems to be the size limit per post.

If needed, I (or hopefully someone else not currently "working") can write a more detailed response with exact instructions at a later time.

6 hours ago, raynice said:

I actually have this video; however, due to the file size of these videos, I am unable to upload it to the site. If someone can point me in the right direction in regards to a safe, free compressor, I will attempt to upload these files again.

SOMEONE GET THIS MAN A SHIELD... errr  a compressor.

Wait... looks like this guy already did! ^^^

I'm very happy.

Edited by Hitman Hart (see edit history)
6 hours ago, raynice said:

I use a video compressor called Handbrake to compress without quality loss. If you want you can do that, and then put the converted file in a zip, theoretically that should be like double compression without any loss in quality.

3 hours ago, KozmoFox said:

I use a video compressor called Handbrake to compress without quality loss. If you want you can do that, and then put the converted file in a zip, theoretically that should be like double compression without any loss in quality.

"Without loss" <- Not going to happen. (Well not without making the file size bigger instead of smaller)
"Double compression" <- Not going to happen.

Personally, I'd very much prefer the original file over a re-encoded version.

I guess you can't upload it because you don't have access to the Files section upload page yet? That area allows for bigger uploads.
Unless your internet connection is the limiting factor, what you could do is upload it to, say, Mega, and pass one of us the link so we can upload it here, with full credit to you of course.

2 hours ago, KozmoFox said:

Wouldn't it be better to just upload the original file in multiple parts to maintain maximum quality and let someone who knows how to use ffmpeg/libav/handbrake do the video re-encoding, which might not even be necessary? And unless he's going to convert with crf = 0 (lossless), which makes no sense since he's trying to reduce the file size, any other setting would always cause data loss and therefore a reduction in video quality, perceptual or not.

Worst case scenario, if raynice has a difficult time using the file compression/splitting software 7zip, he can just make an account with https://mega.nz/ which gives 50GB of cloud storage, upload the entire video in one piece, and share the link.

TL;dr Quality will generally always go down upon re-encoding; how much depends on settings.  Lets just get to as close to the original video quality as possible and let someone else fiddle with adjusting the video compression if hard drive space is a concern.  Create an account and upload to mega.nz to just share the entire thing without installing any additional software.

1 minute ago, themasterofall1212 said:

perceptual or not.

Perceptual is what I was talking about. Putting it in the like 20ish range it specifies as HD and whatnot is what I use to convert all of my videos that I record of games and the like and I can never really tell the difference. I wasn't talking about straight up 0 change, just not really perceptible enough to even matter, unless you have a giant fancy monitor I guess. Saves me gigs and gigs of space.

3 minutes ago, Drying said:

"Without loss" <- Not going to happen. (Well not without making the file size bigger instead of smaller)
"Double compression" <- Not going to happen.

Personally, I'd very much prefer the original file over a re-encoded version.

I guess you can't upload it because you don't have access to the Files section upload page yet? That area allows for bigger uploads.
Unless your internet connection is the limiting factor, what you could do is upload it to, say, Mega, and pass one of us the link so we can upload it here, with full credit to you of course.

You beat me by like 2 minutes. 

I blame myself for typing out the same thing about using file compression on a compressed video and then deleting that paragraph. I  had originally wrote about some statistic with it being a 96-98% compression ratio even at the highest compression settings which would result in a 2 - 4MB savings on a 100MB video file, wasting more time than space saved.

I only mentioned 7zip as a solution so that he could split the files into pieces if he can't upload one large file all at once.

I also hate it when I find a video that used to be 720p or 1080p re-encoded in .flv and 360p - 480p and a 1/10th of the original bit rate. It's like trying to watch vhs videos all over again. Next we'll be going back to RealMedia.

4 minutes ago, KozmoFox said:

Perceptual is what I was talking about. Putting it in the like 20ish range it specifies as HD and whatnot is what I use to convert all of my videos that I record of games and the like and I can never really tell the difference. I wasn't talking about straight up 0 change, just not really perceptible enough to even matter, unless you have a giant fancy monitor I guess. Saves me gigs and gigs of space.

I agree with you that in the 20s range with HEVC and a slow setting would reduce the file size and minimalize quality loss, but I don't want to give that task to someone who is just learning. I mean, who knows, he could be on a 13in macbook from a few years ago, those settings on a dual core processor might take a couple days to complete.

Make it easy for him, and better for everyone else. Some of us have the gigs of space to sacrifice for a good quality video and there's enough talent on this forum to convert the video (sounds like you and drying both know a lot about this topic) to whatever their quality preferences are.

You should be able to upload it to the downloads section of the site without having to re-encode it or split it into multiple parts. The Downloads section is made to handle larger files, post attachments for smaller files.

At the top-right hand corner of the page, just click "Create" and then "File Download".

Afterwards, you can copy and paste the link to the file submission here and the site will automatically embed it into your post.

Generally, I have always recommended uploading the original files over re-encoding them, as to be honest, if you're not already familiar with video encoding software you're probably going too end up reducing the quality of the video to some notable degree trying to re-encode it yourself.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:36 PM, raynice said:

Here is a ranking of the best free compressors out there by a reliable site

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-winzip-alternative

Edited by lindawong (see edit history)
On 5/7/2018 at 11:36 AM, raynice said:

How big is the file? The forums only allow about 900mb files but the download section allows uploads of over 9gb here - https://www.omorashi.org/files/

If it is still bigger then I recommend downloading handbrake from https://handbrake.fr/ a completely free, safe video compression software.

Really looking forward to seeing this file. If you come through for us, I'll gladly pay it forward and purchase another video people want to see.

• 1 month later...