Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Hunter: Official Update and Discussion Thread

Since every other RPG being developed by forum members has its own dedicated thread, why not mine? After all, the game has officially started active development of the real content!

For all those unaware, Hunter is another RPG Maker omo game with a fantasy flair, not exactly a rare breed, I'm aware. But why not one more, from the mind of "oh yeah, I guess I've seen his name posting fanfictions about games no one else has played" Captain L. I've got some pretty good plans for this one, but let's keep things moving one step at a time. Right now, you can download an engine test right here, to learn what I'm planning with the game, in a very crude and unfinished form.

That's enough with the introductions, I suppose. There's progress to show off. Before I got started, I was really worried about how much of a tedious timesink creating the map was going to be, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I've already put together two of the game's starting locations in only a few days, so here's the first look at your humble starting town (still under construction), Eiden.

tumblr_inline_p6u0ixcErb1szai8b_540.png

I'll work on populating it soon enough. After all, need to have someone for our heroines to talk to, Laine and-

tumblr_inline_p6u0juwlzF1szai8b_540.png

Hm. Wonder who this pretty lady could be?

Well, that's all for now! But don't worry, aside from what I'm already doing, there'll be some exciting news from an external source to share before you know it!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since every other RPG being developed by forum members has its own dedicated thread, why not mine? After all, the game has officially started active development of the real content! For all those

And there it is. The very first large-scale Western omo RPG to reach completion, to the best of my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong. Once again, I'd like to thank all of you for your support, and I

Here's a feature you don't see often enough in omo games...in fact, I've never seen it in the games I've played: sympathy desperation. If any of the girls have to witness their teammates peeing, their

Posted Images

tumblr_inline_p78f5mmT7a1szai8b_540.png

Here's a feature you don't see often enough in omo games...in fact, I've never seen it in the games I've played: sympathy desperation. If any of the girls have to witness their teammates peeing, their own desperation will increase, which may lead to an accident. Keep their individual needs in mind when deciding what order to allow them to relieve themselves!

3 hours ago, Captain L said:

Here's a feature you don't see often enough in omo games...in fact, I've never seen it in the games I've played: sympathy desperation. If any of the girls have to witness their teammates peeing, their own desperation will increase, which may lead to an accident. Keep their individual needs in mind when deciding what order to allow them to relieve themselves!

Nice. If you can figure out how to code it, you might want to try setting up places where multiple girls can relieve themselves at the same time. It could open up some extra dialogue at the very least, and maybe have some gameplay-altering effects.

tumblr_inline_p7ydh566sM1szai8b_540.png

Your first look at Laine's signature weapon. Unfortunately, I regret the name. Not the choice, it’s historical, but the other connotation it carries. I just found out this week that “Cojiro” is the name of the blue Cucco in Ocarina of Time. And I feel like my player base are more familiar with Zelda than they are Japanese history. They’re going to spend the game thinking of a chicken.

So, I think this is going to be the last update for now. See, Chapter 1 of the game is finished. Then why hasn't it been released? Because it's not done. I've done all I can for now, but I'm missing art from other people. I'm awaiting CG art, and I'm awaiting enemy designs, which is really important because I'm waiting to program the enemies until I have that. The first release has to wait until those are in my hands.

• 1 month later...

tumblr_inline_pa2oirz3nb1szai8b_540.png

Your first look at the battle system. Don't get too excited, it's not too impressive.

Watch out for the jellyfish. You know what the layman fix for jellyfish stings is, don't you?

I know I said I wouldn't update again until there was a playable version ready, but I have been working on the game a little more as of late. In the interest of getting something done, I've decided to stick with RPG Maker's default enemies, but that still means I'm waiting on a boss image. But other than that, the first chapter is entirely playable, balanced and bug tested.

Now, the real thing I need to announce is the presence of CG art. It hasn't been cancelled, don't worry about that, but since I still have nothing on my end, it doesn't look like I'll have it in time for a timely release of Chapter 1. So, my plan is, I'll release Chapter 1 once the boss has been implemented and everything is feature-complete. The CG art will be patched in later once complete.

3 hours ago, Captain L said:

tumblr_inline_pa2oirz3nb1szai8b_540.png

Your first look at the battle system. Don't get too excited, it's not too impressive.

Watch out for the jellyfish. You know what the layman fix for jellyfish stings is, don't you?

Fun fact: That doesn't actually work at all IRL, and may only further agitate the sting... though I doubt that would stop it from working in this game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 5:08 PM, Captain L said:

Okay. I've been putting this game off because MV grr.

But after reading this I absolutely gotta play it.

Wait nvm it's not out yet. Anyway, this is a good feature that I like.

Edited by DerivativeWings (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

tumblr_inline_pcw8jupBMG1szai8b_540.png

The kind of trains creative thinking can take you on is truly outrageous. First off, I wanted to incorporate the Final Fantasy VI animation of jumping onto the toilet (or chamber pot in this case) when the character uses it. Initially, this proved a problem, as interacting with the chamber pot from any direction other than directly beneath it would cause the character to jump into the wall instead. Now, this could have been solved with conditional statements (using a condition I didn't know existed until yesterday), but I instead solved it by moving the chamber pot to the corner, and putting something to the side to limit the options. So I figured, might as well make something out of the obstacle, so it became a bucket to act as a sink that led to a sound effect and text message. But that's when it hit me, if I'm going to put it there, it should serve a gameplay function. I mean, what else would realistically happen if you washed your hands in the sink while desperate? It's a convenient way if you want to push a character over the edge when they're already desperate. And yes, the same thing happens if a desperate character washes their clothes in the river.

Now, onto business. No, Chapter 1 isn't ready yet. However, it's within sight. I got my friend to agree to make drawing the boss his next project (though he's busy drawing girl Terry Bogard from SNK Heroines), and I'm finally back in contact with the secret CG artist, who is drawing some of the CG. I've seen the preliminary sketches, and I think it's gonna be good. Obviously, giving a date is impossible, but it's pretty fair to say this month is a very safe bet.

tumblr_pd9d16TvX81szai8b_540.jpg

Only one true way to test a game: on a 100 inch projector screen. House sitting is nice, and their cat is wonderful.

If you can see it outside the exposure, that's your first look at the second town in the game: Nerthus. There's a lot more to do in this town compared to Eiden, but you'll need to be careful. The town's had a real problem with public urination lately, probably because of their lack of public bathrooms, and they're cracking down. The drinks at the pub certainly don't help that matter.

Edited by Captain L (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a long time coming, with a lot of work behind it, but one chapter of Hunter is finally, fully functionally complete. It can be played from beginning to end without any missing features. Just too bad for you that it isn't Chapter 1. It's Chapter 4. Totally done. I can't share any screenshots from the chapter for spoilers to a game you don't even know where to start with, but I can share one bit of code.

rIhQRb8.png

Certain cutscenes can have extra or different dialogue depending on omo factors.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I understand that there's been a fair bit of radio silence for the game, sharing details when you're so far ahead of the curve is very difficult without playing the whole hand. Not to mention, being back in school means I don't have the most time in the world to actually work. But that doesn't mean nothing has been done, not at all. For, you see...

CHAPTER 1 OUT NOW

Go play it! It won't take long, and once you're done, come on back to this thread to share anything you feel is worth saying.

Hey, I played it. Also had to wait a little bit afterwards because my internet temporarily died on me. These thoughts might be a bit random, but here they are regardless.

You opened with Final Fantasy VI music. Good choice.

The opening dungeon seems a bit on the tough side. Not because of the enemies, but from the lack of recovery items. I would imagine two high-ranking knights would carry at least a point or two on them when heading into a foreboding structure. If not that, maybe put one of those AP orbs at the start so you don't have to backtrack all the way back to the town on the off-chance you totally run out of AP.

That first puzzle... I have no idea what it's even asking me for. I had to ask someone else for the answer, and they only got it from opening up the game files and getting it there. I imagine I won't be the only person like this, so you may want to consider adding a hint after the player gets it wrong the first time.

The CG art is quite nice. Cartoonish, but still easy and sexy on the eyes. Kudos to the artist.

Might be spoilery, but the cutscene that spurs Laine's quest seemed to go rather fast. For someone who just discovered that her long-time colleague has just died, she sure doesn't take much time to grieve. Maybe that's a character thing, but I think she would at least take the time to discuss this with the king and process the death before setting off.

I'll try thinking of other things to comment on later. I gotta shower and get ready for bed now.