Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Buying diapers

Hello!

I guess you know the problem. Going to a store, buying diapers sucks. Although nobody usually asks you about what you are doing when you buy one, someone could see you. Also stores are usually full of cameras, you never know what happens with the videos. Even though this is better than Amazon where you know your data will be abused I do not like the fact that store owners have a tape of me buying diapers. But we live in a great and brave new world, so I guess paying anonymously around the internet is a thing now, kinda. So I have wondered whether you know a way to buy diapers without giving details about you, for example with crypto currencies?, I have found a solution for name and address, so this should not be too much of a concern.

Greetings, Tailsuser

What's your threat model? Buying diapers isn't against the law, or even all that unusual. Are you worried about store owners using security camera footage as leverage to blackmail you? Are you a public figure or someone whose reputation could be harmed if people knew you like diapers?

You can use bitcoin to buy gift cards for online stores that sell diapers, but you'll still need to get them delivered to your home address. To me, this seems much less anonymous than buying them in a physical store with cash, because then your address will be associated with your purchase history in the store's databases - regardless of how you paid. As far as I know, nobody is selling diapers on the darknet markets. Because, you know, who's so far undercover that they would buy diapers on the darknet?

You could avoid going to the store by having them delivered. There are local courier companies where you can ask them to buy you something and deliver it to your house for a reasonable fee. This also seems less anonymous than going to the store and paying with cash, because now there's one guy in your area who might remember you as the person who ordered adult diapers, and the company will definitely keep records of what's being delivered to what address. If you buy them in the store, the cashier won't remember you because you will blend in with the other people who buy adult diapers every day, and they won't have your name or address.

Being paranoid and privacy-conscious is important and a lot of fun, and I personally take it to more of an extreme than anyone I know. But the first step is always to know what you're trying to prevent from happening. I'm not sure your concerns are completely rational here. But if they are rational, I'd say your best bet would be to wear different clothes - maybe even sunglasses/a hoodie, take public transit to a store a fair distance away from where you live, and pay in cash. If you're under enough surveillance that even these extreme measures aren't enough, you're probably being tailed 24/7 anyway, and they've already identified your account on this forum by analyzing your writing style.

I do not have a very dangerous threat model right now, but future will bring changes to that, making better networks for tracking will create problems I want to solve rather now than later, for example IOT which will bring google driven cameras in stores or something. First priority though is to prevent my room mates form seeing me using diapers and buying them, at least right now. Also I do not want anyone to notice me at the store, driving 30 kilometers away helps, I would need to go about 50 km at least to be sure nobody is knowing me. That is one part of the issue. But for the address problem I have found a solution. If you are in a City like Berlin you could have the diapers being sent to different post offices. Furthermore I do not need to give a name, just have to tell a passphrase which indentifies me as the owner without telling who I am. So the address should not be a problem. Billing still is and would me identify completely. But I do not think that the German post and the seller have talked to each other, why should they, probably that will happen later with technical advancements and passively. So that is not a problem I have right now, maybe something I have to keep in mind later. Paying in crypto-currencies would help me stay anonymous and I do not have to limit myself to the local repertoire, that is a reason for buying online right now. Also I like the ABDL brands more than the medical ones, even tough medical are also good.

The reason for this is: I am preparing myself for doing active campaigns against mass surveillance, both commercial and done by states, I plan to join a group of net activists, my influence right now is not very big, but I hope to gain some. Therefore I do not want to risk too much ways I can be publicly depreciated. This way I can avoid letting someone push me into the role of the victim, maintaining a strong position. And if I get too much of influence someone will try to find something to get me out of their way. Knowing this secret is well protected will let me sleep at night and prove my methods, even though I can not tell someone it works, I know it then. The other aspect is developing methods for circumventing mass surveillance, which I can publish, this will also help other people, will make privacy easier, so that is also good for everybody and something I want to achieve anyway. Making privacy default, maintaining democratic values for example by doing this, fighting for something good. And it is fun.

And the writing style... Yes, that is in fact a potential leak. I do not think anybody will try to identify me yet, so I guess I will have time to change some elements later, but first I want to see what future brings.

If you've got the delivery problem solved (cool about the post offices in Berlin taking a password, I wish they did that here), you can skip the cryptocurrency step by using prepaid credit cards. This is a matter of preference: in this use-case you can be about as anonymous with a prepaid card as you can with btc if you take the necessary steps, but the necessary steps might be more obvious if you don't have much experience with cryptocurrency. Ideally, you'd get them in small amounts, just a little over the cost of an order of diapers. Usually you have to register them before you can use them online, but you can fill in a fake address as long as you remember to use the same fake address for billing details on the site you order from.

On 4/5/2018 at 3:43 AM, supernerd222 said:

Usually you have to register them before you can use them online, but you can fill in a fake address as long as you remember to use the same fake address for billing details on the site you order from.

Why would you store them online? Is there anything bad about having your own wallet on your own Linux system behind a nice firewall and a good VPN server? Would not have to sign in so. Guess I will get myself some source code and look at how those currencies work... Paying anonymously is kinda strange, ledgers need to know where money comes from and goes to... Anyway. I guess, prepaid credit cards and cryptocurrencies with an anonymizer might work...

Edited by Tailsuser (see edit history)
1 hour ago, Tailsuser said:

Why would you store them online? Is there anything bad about having your own wallet on your own Linux system behind a nice firewall and a good VPN server? Would not have to sign in so. Guess I will get myself some source code and look at how those currencies work... Paying anonymously is kinda strange, ledgers need to know where money comes from and goes to... Anyway. I guess, prepaid credit cards and cryptocurrencies with an anonymizer might work...

That quote was referring to prepaid credit cards, not cryptocurrency, sorry for the confusion. You're correct that if you use cryptocurrency, you should never store them in an online wallet. In fact, you shouldn't store them on your computer either - a hardware wallet or paper wallet is absolutely the way to go. Although it's not a bad idea to leave a small but nontrivial amount of btc (maybe like $50) in a hot wallet on your computer. This wallet basically acts as a bounty: if someone gets access to your computer, they'll steal your coins, and then you'll know that you're compromised. These security considerations are more about keeping people from stealing your btc than staying anonymous.