Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female [Leaf]I will not excuse you to pick flowers in the dungeon!

I hope people still want these, else I'll feel silly.

" Latest update date: August 30 (Friday) / Next update will be scheduled for September 30 (Monday) at 17:00 / The latest 2 volumes of comics are on sale now!

LEVEL17

Author's comment: It's nice to see our characters growing up on their own.
The painter thinks he has to work hard to draw them well."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems the artist Leaf (of DesperateLeafComic fame) has started an omorashi-based webcomic. It's really good, you can read it at the link here. Enjoy!

Hi again, sorry I took so long! It's probably not spectacular and I still struggle with some words. I did a rough pass of the first page. This is about the level of quality I can provide. If

Should I add this to the list of "Things I wanna see translated but will probably never happen"?

Posted Images

OK.  I know very very little about machine translation.  Inspired by this thread:

1.  Estimating every-day Kanji used 3,000 to 6,000 characters, I figured a Kanji character required two bytes.  That would leave plenty of combinations for non-printing and non-Kanji characters.  Wrong.  Some counts range up to 70,000 characters.

2.  So I went looking through Ubuntu software repository and the web for a Kanji optical character reader.  Only a mouse-driven scratch pad that informs the user what character the user's attempt best approximates.  It seems to include stroke order in the recognition process.  It might have been useful.  But no Linux guru has needed input and output.  So it's pad and screen. Period.

3.  In spite of item one, Google translate does process Kanji Japanese to ASCII English.  Of course, that means Kanji properly encoded as binary.

Probably, I approached this wrong.  Does anybody know of an inexpensive machine-translation path.

Thank you.

22 hours ago, Stanley79 said:

Probably, I approached this wrong.  Does anybody know of an inexpensive machine-translation path.

Thank you.

There are tools and APIs for OCR. I know C# has an OCR Library [Source 1, Source 2] built in with support for Japanese and Chinese characters. All one would have to do is create a small tool that allows someone to select an area on the users monitor and auto-copy the text, feeding the output into google translate.

It's not a complex program to make by any means. That said, the bigger problem is that Comics and Manga often use more styalized fonts interwoven into complex images. Meaning it'll be harder for the system to get perfect recognition of the characters.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:31 PM, Stanley79 said:

Rinatro,

You are correct.  Running tesseract-ocr with gimageReader gui and typical manga sources, the combination produces so many errors, hand translation would be easier.

For the best success, you'd basically have to find a way to isolate the characters. Either allowing the user to paint/select the speech bubbles, or have it automatically detect where they are. It'd work better than scanning the whole image. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a more cleaner source for the OCR to work off of.

Edited by Rinatro (see edit history)

Machine Translation Experience

Today machine translation offered me something that might or might not be helpful.  The procedure can be done in less time than it takes to read the following steps:

1.  Main software:
Firefox or other web browser with tabs.
GIMP or other image manipulation program
gImageReader or other Tesseract GUI
open-source Optical Character Recognition (OCR) Engine.
tesseract-ocr language files for Japanese
tesseract-ocr language files for Japanese (vertical)

2.  With Firefox running open
https://www.omorashi.org/forums/topic/43199-leafi-will-not-excuse-you-to-pick-flowers-in-the-dungeon/
or other manga page.

3.  Open your image manipulation program.

4.  In Firefox right click on the image containing the Japanese characters.  “Copy Image” will place it on the clip board.  From the clip board paste it into the image manipulation program (should look like it did in Firefox).

5.  In the image manipulation program use “File” and “New” to open a second image-editing window.

6.  Copy and paste from the image manipulation program window with the original image (characters only) to the new window.  Arrange characters in a single column or row.  Save the new characters-only image as a .png image.

7.  Open gImageReader.  On far left click folder icon.  Select folder containing the image and open the image.

8.  Find the lower case “a” near center top, “recognize” to its right and down arrow right of recognize.  Click the down arrow.  Select the language (Japanese or vertical Japanese).  Screen extreme lower left should say “ready.”  Double click “recognize” at center top above selected language.  Wait.  Eventually, lower left should indicate reading and lower right contain a progress bar.

9.  When gImageReader indicates reading complete and displays the result in hideous format screen right, use the “save output” (bar-arrow-box) icon above displayed output.  Click the icon and save the output as .html.

10.  In Firefox open Google Translate and choose Japanese.  Open the html output from gImageReader in another tab.  Copy the character string from your digitized character tab to the Google translate tab’s left area.  After a few seconds, the English or whatever translation should appear in the right box.

Here’s my results.

“[Flower picking] Kunuma | The problems I can't stand still

Adventurers || Called "Elf Sanctuary" to challenge a huge dungeon.”

Or sometimes slight changes in source lead to larger changes in translation.

“Challenge a huge dungeon called the "Sanctuary of Elf"

Even if the problem is still L | I can't take pride in [picking flowers] ...”

Someone knowing something might be able to suggest improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 18 is up, and as the machine translated author's note mentions, it's got a lot of...content. With an undecided next date...here's the translated notes:

Bolding is my add.

"Latest update: September 30 (Monday) / Next update undecided. We will announce as soon as it is finalized / The latest 3 volumes of comics will be released on Friday, December 13!

LEVEL18

Author's comment: I don't say anything, but I think there is the most water discharge in the story so far."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have taken up the task again. The first 4 pages are done, but those were also the easy ones.

I don't actually know that much Japanese; I'm using a combination of machine translation and brute force. I find the easiest method is to translate every word individually, then stitch together the sentence from scratch.

Also, I'm not a skilled artist, I can't paint out the descriptive ambient text pieces that are scattered all over the pages, so I won't be doing those for now. I'll translate all the text boxes.
I won't keep posting images here, I'll upload an album with the full chapter when it's done.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Chapter 19 is finally here. Here's the notes through google translate as always:

" Latest update: November 29 (Fri) / Next update scheduled for January 10 (Fri) at 17:00 / The latest 3 volumes of comics will be released on December 13 (Fri)!

LEVEL19

Author's comment: I don't say so much because it's spoilers, but I have a plan to make more “COMIC Ryu-like” characters."

• 1 month later...

The holiday break is over, and Chapter 20 is here. Google Translate and the Author have this to say:

" Latest update date: January 10 (Monday) / Next update is scheduled for February 10 (Monday) 17:00 / The latest three volumes of comics are now on sale!

Author comment: Following the previous raccoon dog, this time I was able to find out more about the lion's paws and healed my eyes. "

• 1 month later...

And we're back once more for Chapter 21. The author's note this time...seeeems to have absolutely nothing to do with the Chapter? Oh well. Here's the google translated date and notes:

Latest update: February 10 (Monday) / Next update is scheduled for 17:00 on March 10 (Tue) / The latest three volumes of comics are now on sale!

Author's comment: I bought a good bicycle the other day, but I could ride more normally than I thought, and if I was running slowly and slowly, saying "I thought it would change more dramatically", a section time on a certain slope I realized that it was shrinking ridiculously ... I thought that something really amazing might be "I don't even feel amazing".

You can find it in the usual locations:

• 4 weeks later...

Quick back for chapter 22, only 10 pages to prepare for a finale I assume.

Google Translated Notes:
"Latest update: March 10 (Tuesday) / Next update is scheduled for 17:00 on Friday, April 10 / The latest three volumes of comics are now on sale!
Author's comment: This is a short story, but we are working hard for the next time!"

• 1 month later...

Chapter 23 is out, and we are clearly heading towards a final showdown.

Long author note and so google translate has made quite the mess of it. Still, here it is:
"Latest update date: April 10 (Fri) / Next update is scheduled for May 20 (Wednesday) 17:00 / The latest three volumes of comics are now on sale!

Author's comment: The impression that the Demon King of RPG is holding up with Deden at the end, but even if the hero who keeps the castle is being done by the brave one after another, he must be quiet and deep inside, so it is a heartfelt mecha I thought it was unaware."

• 1 month later...

Chapter 24 is here, and so is the climax of the story...almost. Also I still can't do version numbers. oh well.

Also note the 1 month break, next is in July.

Even longer author's note than last time, so here's another mangled google translate
"Latest update date: May 20th (Wednesday) / Next update scheduled for July 20th (Monday) at 17:00 / The latest 4 comics will be released on July 13th (Monday)!

Author's comment: Recently, I often see people playing the old RPG as "I'll do it for the first time!", But now I'm sick of the adventure of weaving with simple dot pictures. Somehow, I am looking at the grandfather for some reason, saying, "Young children can have fun even if they do it ...".

Edited by tenck5k (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

I'm tired, here's the chapter and machine translated stuff:

"Latest update date: July 20th (Monday) / Next update scheduled for Friday, August 28th at 17:00 / Up to the latest 4 volumes of comics are on sale!

LEVEL25

Author's comment: Recently, I'm jealous of the characters in my story that are (selfishly) vivid. You guys look fun!"

• 4 weeks later...