Sign In

Yu-Gi-Oh: Tale of a Determined Dueler

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/22/2018 CHARACTER UPDATE As promised, I finally managed to get a basic design for the interactive’s main heroine. While it took a little more time than I would have wanted it to, I think there’s n

Welcome to the new interactive story by your boyo, Tempo!… I may or may not need to work on that little ditty. So apparently @Faust has been doing this Magic: The Gathering interactive story, and

OK, I think enough votes have been submitted, and enough time has passed, so Step 2 voting is officially closed. Now, being as I allowed some categories to have a variety of choices, especially with c

Posted Images

3/13/2018 VOTING UPDATE
{Step 2's current total of votes}
Style of Hair: 2 - Parted to Both Sides, 1 vote for Ponytail to the Back, 1 vote for Poofy, 2 votes for Parted to One Side, and 1 vote for Lazy.
Hair Composition: 3 votes for Wavy, 1 vote for Smooth, and 3 votes for Wild (1 adds "but not unkempt").
Style of Clothes: 4 votes for Girly (3 states Fancy and Girly + 2 of the 3 suggesting "Gothic Lolita Style"), 1 vote for Mixed, 1 vote for Traditional, 1 vote for Tomboyish, and 1 vote for Schoolgirl Clothes.
Personality: 3 votes for Snobby, 2 votes for Graceful, 2 votes for Feminine, 1 vote for Polite, 1 vote for Timid, 1 vote for Loyal, 3 votes for Confident, 1 vote for Tomboyish, 1 vote for Strong-Willed, 1 vote for Gentle-Natured, 1 vote for Arrogant, 2 votes for Laid-Back, and 1 vote for Cheerful.
Age: 1 vote for Mid-Teens, 6 votes for Late-Teens, 1 vote for Tween, and 3 votes for Young Adult.

I just want to admit that your choices for this step have definitely been interesting and that I have an idea for how to decide/tie-break some of the categories. For now, I'll keep the voting for Step 2 open, just in case we got any more ideas from people or so on, but I will close it soon enough. Thank you once again for taking the time to think up your answers!

OK, I think enough votes have been submitted, and enough time has passed, so Step 2 voting is officially closed. Now, being as I allowed some categories to have a variety of choices, especially with clothes having the option for you to suggest your own answer, I prepared an extra method to decide some of the winning characteristics. Using the website, Wheel Decide, some of the results will be decided with its help, but I will state how it played into what. I really appreciate your variety of choices though for this step, so thanks, everyone! But, without further ado, here are the next results.

{Step 2's results}
Style of Hair: Parted to One Side.
Hair Composition: Wavy.
Style of Clothes: "Gothic Lolita Style" Girly Clothes. (Suggested and agreed on respectively by @KILLSWITCH64 and @Keita123.)
Personality: Confident, Graceful and Feminine.

Style of Clothes: Girly would be the option with the most votes among the rest, with a total of 5. In addition, there were a couple of extra terms or suggestions thrown into those who commented such. To decide which would be the specific victor, I plugged the five respective votes into a wheel and gave it did one round to pick the winner.
Personality: The highest amount of votes went to Confident, so I automatically gave it to the protagonist. There were plenty of other personality traits that had up to 2 or 3 votes, and so I plugged them into a wheel and went with the first two options that got picked twice. The first one would be Graceful, and the second would be Feminine.
Age: The clear victor was Late-Teens with a whopping total of 6 votes. Young Adult would come in second with half of that value, being 3 votes. To reiterate from a small update explaining what the age options meant, Late-Teens would be 17 to 19 years old. Just like Style of Clothes, the winning number was picked in one spin.

Now the good news is that our heroine's physical details and design are basically set at this point. However, I have not finalized what Step 3 will include to finish the main character and finally bring us into the story. But I promise that I will throw in another update soon, and am sending the results to let you guys see what came up at the end of the second phase. For now, feel free to comment or check out the results as you please. I assure you what comes next will either include Step 3, or a short prologue that will get us into the story, building a little basic information about our heroine on her own, proceeding with Step 3 afterward. I'll be seeing you then!

6 hours ago, TempadoOmo5 said:

OK, I think enough votes have been submitted, and enough time has passed, so Step 2 voting is officially closed. Now, being as I allowed some categories to have a variety of choices, especially with clothes having the option for you to suggest your own answer, I prepared an extra method to decide some of the winning characteristics. Using the website, Wheel Decide, some of the results will be decided with its help, but I will state how it played into what. I really appreciate your variety of choices though for this step, so thanks, everyone! But, without further ado, here are the next results.

{Step 2's results}
Style of Hair: Parted to One Side.
Hair Composition: Wavy.
Style of Clothes: "Gothic Lolita Style" Girly Clothes. (Suggested and agreed on respectively by @KILLSWITCH64 and @Keita123.)
Personality: Confident, Graceful and Feminine.

Style of Clothes: Girly would be the option with the most votes among the rest, with a total of 5. In addition, there were a couple of extra terms or suggestions thrown into those who commented such. To decide which would be the specific victor, I plugged the five respective votes into a wheel and gave it did one round to pick the winner.
Personality: The highest amount of votes went to Confident, so I automatically gave it to the protagonist. There were plenty of other personality traits that had up to 2 or 3 votes, and so I plugged them into a wheel and went with the first two options that got picked twice. The first one would be Graceful, and the second would be Feminine.
Age: The clear victor was Late-Teens with a whopping total of 6 votes. Young Adult would come in second with half of that value, being 3 votes. To reiterate from a small update explaining what the age options meant, Late-Teens would be 17 to 19 years old. Just like Style of Clothes, the winning number was picked in one spin.

Now the good news is that our heroine's physical details and design are basically set at this point. However, I have not finalized what Step 3 will include to finish the main character and finally bring us into the story. But I promise that I will throw in another update soon, and am sending the results to let you guys see what came up at the end of the second phase. For now, feel free to comment or check out the results as you please. I assure you what comes next will either include Step 3, or a short prologue that will get us into the story, building a little basic information about our heroine on her own, proceeding with Step 3 afterward. I'll be seeing you then!

sweet!

OK, thanks for waiting, everyone. The decision has been made, and it's time to perform the last step of building our main heroine, Step 3 and then proceed to the story. I want to apologize for being unable to think up what it was going to include aside from stats at first, but I now know what to do. Of course, I did have a little bit of help getting a possible suggestion or two thanks to @Faust, so many thanks for helping with the tip to clear my mental block. But now, let's begin.

{Step 3}
Stats: Each stat category will start at 1 point, and you have 4 free points to distribute to the main character. For the purpose of voting in the pre-story build, list the four categories you want to boost in order to determine which point goes to what. (Ex: Courage, Bladder, Bladder, Skill or Luck, Courage, Skill, Persuasiveness.)

• Courage: Lets you perform actions that may require a certain amount of bravery or boldness to do in the first place. This can work both in a Duel and outside one, but of course, it doesn't guarantee whether these actions will work in your favor, or lead to some consequences.
  • Skill: This usually pertains to the character's ability to do most common things in real life, such as run, jump, or even do secretive actions like sneak around and perceive how others may be feeling. In a Duel, this might be able to help them perform a few strategies or techniques right, as well as notice what an opponent may be feeling, but usually by a minor hint or so.
  • Luck: Sometimes, life or Duel situations require a little bit of luck for things to go right in the end. A few examples include coin tosses, randomly chosen outcomes, or even taking risks. This stat has a slight connection to the others, so you may be able to benefit them a bit if you build it up.
  • Persuasiveness: Whether you tell the truth or a lie, it's all about the acting and the expression that gets others to believe you. This stat will help you get to even the toughest of people who refuse to follow the advice or works of others, even if it may take multiple attempts or so. And hey, perhaps you can even get somebody head over heels for you if you become good enough at this.
  • Bladder: A fairly important stat that constitutes the character's need to use the bathroom. This especially helps them hold it longer and concentrate better whenever their attention needs to be elsewhere.

Pieces to the Character's Background: Ever heard of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and the questionnaire that helps determine the Pokémon your character becomes? This last section will play similar to that, but will not explicitly state how this will affect the story. But it may give you a hint regarding what may come in the near future. Indeed, this will build up part of the information to our character right now. However, it may also reappear here and there down the road.

Piece 1, the Ally = Mostly everyone has an ally on their side. One who is there to help comfort them during hard times, help them learn in moments of conflict, or even allow them to learn something as they help the ally back. This isn't just limited to friends, but the family can also be that extra bit of support wherever or whenever. Perhaps there is somebody who is already supporting you and you don't know it. Or maybe you aren't sure that a person such as yourself cannot see another assisting you in times of trouble, to which trying to open up to the outside world may change that. One thing is for sure, your first ally is right around the corner, somewhere, somehow.
Chances are that this ally is: a sibling, a relative, a close friend, a childhood friend, an acquaintance, somebody you do not know just yet, or a total stranger.

Piece 2, the Upbringing = They say early development can be crucial to how one sees the world. Even though experiences can change it, sometimes the past is key to the present and future. Perhaps one is lucky enough to have fewer problems with who they live with and where they live. Yet another may have struggled in one, the other, or both instances. Regardless, it's how the character acts in current times which shows how it affected them as a result.
Chances are their upbringing is: decent, troubled, poor, wealthy, peaceful, traditional, difficult, dangerous, or safe.

Piece 3, the Drive to Duel = Duel Monsters is a game that features players of all sorts! Some humans are in it for the fun and exhilarating feel of facing others in a game of strategy and many possibilities. Others do it as a simple hobby, or perhaps to collect the cards that correspond to the game. Maybe to others, it's their way of proving their point to others or deciding how things work. Or maybe, there's a big reason as to why they involve themselves in the game.
Chances are the drive to Duel is: for fun, for acceptance, for meeting others, for defining oneself, for the sake of having a hobby, for avenging or putting the past behind oneself, for something that happened in one's life, for the sake of teaching others a lesson, or for matters of a dark reason.

Piece 4, the Internal Secret = Not everybody is 100% open about how life. How they live, what the like, what they look for, even their biggest memories could be connected to one personal secret. Worry not, for some person might understand somebody if they know what it's like, have the exact same secret, or are simply open to things and lack the kind of judgmental qualities one might fear.
Chances are their secretis: something innocent, something harsh, something enlightening, something about the past, something naughty, a curiosity, or a yearning for something else.

Piece 5, the Card = Over time, Duel Monsters evolved more and more, changing the ways it would be played, but still remaining the same and introduced new means to play. One of those means is the kinds of cards existing throughout the history of other stories; some stories you may be familiar with. The knowledge of some forms of Duel cards may be primitive to some, unknown, or well-known to others. Although there may be things learned along the way, perhaps there is a kind of card that is extremely familiar to someone.
Chances are their favored card revolves around: 

• Those that enter the battle to stand by oneself.
  • The power to support or change the flow of battle through immediate or future actions.
  • The power to affect an opponent through carefully thought-out actions.
  • Those that become one to gain more power through thick and thin.
  • Those that add their power to bring forth a greater ally.
  • Those that overlay a common strength to support and bring forth a greater ally.
  • Those that set the scale to bring forth multiple allies.
  • Those that give their power to bring an ally who can lend its power to others.

I would like to apologize for the length of the second section, but I figured I wanted to make things especially interesting in Step 3, and that was how I thought of doing it. With that being said, voting is now open, so go right ahead and choose what interests you the most!

Stats:  Persuasiveness, Luck, Skill, Persuasiveness.  I think a silver tongue would be fitting for the elegant character we've created so far, with the others in there for balance (and you know I'm not gonna give our character a bigger bladder and make it easier for her to avoid an accident lol)

Piece 1:  Somebody you do not know just yet.  Mainly picking this one since I think it will be the easiest to write for.

Piece 2:  Wealthy.  Again, I think it's fitting for what we've established about the character so far.

Piece 3:  For matters of a dark reason.  Any other time I would have decided to go with defining oneself, but I'm SO curious what this one would entail, that I just have to pick it.

Piece 4:  Something about the past.  If I'm going for dark reasons as a motive, I think this could go along with that.  (for the record, if I could cherry-pick a secret, I would 100% choose that our character is a bedwetter)

Piece 5:  The power to support or change the flow of battle through immediate or future actions.  Truth be told I was kinda picturing this character using something like an Aromage deck, as it would go with her aesthetic a bit, though I'll just pick this one and see what comes of it.

You don't have to apologize for the length of this, I find it really interesting.  I remember those questionnaires from the mystery dungeon games, and they were always fun to fill out, just as this one was!

Edited by KILLSWITCH64 (see edit history)
14 minutes ago, KILLSWITCH64 said:

Piece 5:  The power to support or change the flow of battle through immediate or future actions.  Truth be told I was kinda picturing this character using something like an Aromage deck, as it would go with her aesthetic a bit, though I'll just pick this one and see what comes of it.

You don't have to apologize for the length of this, I find it really interesting.  I remember those questionnaires from the mystery dungeon games, and they were always fun to fill out, just as this one was!

Heh, well I am glad to hear it. That is a good sign if any. Also, I do hope the color codes for Piece 5 along with their descriptions were able to give a good hint about the specific names for each of the options.

21 minutes ago, TempadoOmo5 said:

Heh, well I am glad to hear it. That is a good sign if any. Also, I do hope the color codes for Piece 5 along with their descriptions were able to give a good hint about the specific names for each of the options.

Truth be told Yugioh has so many strategies and archtypes that I don't know about that I didn't really think that much about what each option could be.  I just kinda picked the one that sounded the best to me and would just see what we got

5 hours ago, TempadoOmo5 said:

Stats: Each stat category will start at 1 point, and you have 4 free points to distribute to the main character.

what's the max for each category? because I want to put a lot (if not, all) on the skill category

also might if I sit out for the questionnaire? it sounds REALLY confusing!

1 minute ago, NinjaGamer said:

what's the max for each category? because I want to put a lot (if not, all) on the skill category

also might if I sit out for the questionnaire? it sounds REALLY confusing!

All good, I don't mind at all. You do you! ? As for the max, I got no idea as of right now. Still, if you want, I can give a simple explanation to the questionnaire if you're open to hearing it.

The questionnaire is something you vote on to help define some small things that will happen in the story without revealing too much. For example, Piece 1, the Ally will determine who our first/closest supporter or companion is going to be. Basically something or somebody like Téa, Syrus, Zuzu, Astral, or Ai (Ignis).

And then something like Piece 5, the Card essentially gives the heroine we’re building some expertise on one of the kinds of cards in Duel Monsters. It’s basically like a preset buff or natural talent of sorts, but without outright revealing what kind of card each option represents. If you want me to throw in a couple of examples for that, however, then I can lend a few in by attempting to make a hidden section.

The power to affect an opponent through carefully thought-out actions actually refers to Trap Cards, while Those that overlay a common strength to support and bring forth a greater ally refers to XYZ Monsters, Those that set the scale to bring forth multiple allies refers to Pendulum Monsters, and Those that become one to gain more power through thick and thin refers to Fusion Monsters.

Edited by TempadoOmo5 (see edit history)
2 hours ago, TempadoOmo5 said:

The questionnaire is something you vote on to help define some small things that will happen in the story without revealing too much. For example, Piece 1, the Ally will determine who our first/closest supporter or companion is going to be. Basically something or somebody like Téa, Syrus, Zuzu, Astral, or Ai (Ignis).

And then something like Piece 5, the Card essentially gives the heroine we’re building some expertise on one of the kinds of cards in Duel Monsters. It’s basically like a preset buff or natural talent of sorts, but without outright revealing what kind of card each option represents. If you want me to throw in a couple of examples for that, however, then I can lend a few in by attempting to make a hidden section.

Reveal hidden contents

The power to affect an opponent through carefully thought-out actions actually refers to Trap Cards, while Those that overlay a common strength to support and bring forth a greater ally refers to XYZ Monsters, Those that set the scale to bring forth multiple allies refers to Pendulum Monsters, and Those that become one to gain more power through thick and thin refers to Fusion Monsters.

Ah gotcha.  I was thinking that you had selected a handful of archtypes and we would select one of those (with green being like a plant or insect archtype, blue being a sea serpent deck, etc.  That being said I'm still sticking with my choice.

25 minutes ago, KILLSWITCH64 said:

Ah gotcha.  I was thinking that you had selected a handful of archtypes and we would select one of those (with green being like a plant or insect archtype, blue being a sea serpent deck, etc.  That being said I'm still sticking with my choice.

Yeah, it's all good. :wink: I felt like perhaps figuring out archetypes would be something the heroine could do as the story is happening, basically.

Stats:  Persuasiveness, Luck, Skill, Persuasiveness. 

Piece 1:  Somebody you do not know just yet.  

Piece 2:  Wealthy.

Piece 3:  for acceptance. I imagine she had troubles fitting in due to her upbringing and playing Yu-Gi-Oh was her way to be accepted by the general public.

Piece 4:  I would vouch for her being a bedwetter as well. It has lessened in recent years but she still wets her bed from time to time. And it's a source of a major embarrassment for her.

Piece 5:  The power to support or change the flow of battle through immediate or future actions. Sounds in-character for her.

deciding what stats to add the points on is really hard! I want to make her as skilled as possible but also having enough bravery to face intimidating duelists (panik duel anyone?)

I guess ill add 2 courage and 2 skill

as for the pieces of the story...

ally: a close friend

upbringing: is decent the normal one? if so, then decent

drive to duel: probably for something that happened in her life, like that time when yugi's grandpa's soul got taken away

secret: something that happened in the past

favourite card: I would want it to be the dark magician, but I wouldn't know what category of card it would fall into... I guess "those that enters the battle to stand by oneself"

3/17/2018 VOTING UPDATE
{Step 3's current total of votes}
Stats: 6 total votes for Persuasiveness, 3 total votes for Luck, 7 total votes for Skill, 5 total votes for Courage, and 3 total votes for Bladder.
Pieces to the Character's Background:

• Piece 1, the Ally: 4 votes for Somebody you do not know just yet, 1 vote for A sibling, and 2 votes for A close friend.
  • Piece 2, the Upbringing: 4 votes for Wealthy, 1 vote for Difficult, and 2 votes for Decent.
  • Piece 3, the Drive to Duel: 2 votes for For matters of a dark reason, 1 vote for To define oneself, 1 vote for For fun, 2 votes for For something that happened in one’s life, and 1 vote for For acceptance.
  • Piece 4, the Internal Secret: 3 votes for Something about the past, 3 votes for Something naughty (1 says occasional bedwetting which embarrasses her), and 1 vote for A yearning for something else.
  • Piece 5, the Card: 3 votes for The power to support or change the flow of battle through immediate or future actions, 2 votes for Those that enter the battle to stand by oneself, 1 vote for Those that add their power to bring forth a greater ally, and 1 vote for The power to affect an opponent through carefully thought-out actions.
Edited by TempadoOmo5 (see edit history)