Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Can Money Truly Buy Happiness?

It depends.

Money can be used to remove stressful elements of your life to a point. For example, it's easier to be happy if you don't have to worry about food or having somewhere to sleep.

I think money correlates to happiness, but you start getting heavy diminishing returns after you have a certain amount. Ultimately, we each have to find what makes us happy, and a giant pile of money ain't going to do squat to help with that.

2 hours ago, DerivativeWings said:

It depends.

Money can be used to remove stressful elements of your life to a point. For example, it's easier to be happy if you don't have to worry about food or having somewhere to sleep.

I think money correlates to happiness, but you start getting heavy diminishing returns after you have a certain amount. Ultimately, we each have to find what makes us happy, and a giant pile of money ain't going to do squat to help with that.

This correlates with most research on the subject. Once you have enough money that the basic essentials are no longer an issue, the amount of happiness you get drops off significantly from there. At that point, you'll need to venture out and find the stuff that fulfills you to make you happy.

In my opinion no, and here is why, growing up for me, i always worked for what i earned and got spoiled with plushies and art stuff, thankfully was never a brat, but as time went on and i got older, my parents spent more money on me than they did spend time with me, by that time i pushed them away. 

Also you see women who are gold diggers and want a guy for money so they can go shopping and never have to work, which to me isnt happiness, its greed

im also cheap and dont want people spending a crap ton on me to make me happy, even my lover, i will never ask him to spoil me constantly with gifts or spend money on me to make me happy, i just want him

Money is a necessity, we need it to pay bills, get food, live in a house, and pay for everyday things we need. Yea having money to get everyday things and pay to get you a place you wanna be will make you happy, but it should not be the thing that makes you happy forever. Solely relying on money to make you happy in life just seems like greed to me. 

You need to feel happy, live life to the fullest and have people around you, that is lifes true happiness

Money is a currency. It depends what makes you happy - if it's something you can buy, sure. 
But what is happiness? What do you value the most in life? That's for every individual to find out for themselves. For me personally, relationships with people are the most important, so I focus on that. Buying something i like also makes me happy, but not in that scale. 

To some extent, maybe, but only insofar as you might actually need money to be able to do the things you actually want to do and would be happy doing.

But then it's entirely subjective - it's totally possible to be absolutely satisfied with life in a cardboard box and no money to your name if that's really what you want out of life because you're secretly Diogenes.

If the life you want needs you to have money, then yeah, that amount of money would buy you happiness, but beyond that you wouldn't really be any happier to have any more money.

Money can not buy happiness.

Various studies have shown that money doesn't equal happiness. At the same time having no money doesn't give you happiness either. And everyone's definition of happiness is different. What would make Person A happy doesn't necessarily make Person B happy. 

For example, Person A pursues a soccer career and is deeply passionate about soccer and loves playing. Person A also hates anything related to business, couldn't ever think of owning a company or anything of the sorts

Person B hates sports, so soccer would never make them happy. On the other hand, Person B is running a small company that produces soccer products. The success of said company makes him happy and he tries his best to keep it going.

Both Person A and Person B are happily pursuing their goals and both are happy doing so. Both goals give them money, but the money isn't what makes them happy per se, it's the work that's put into it.

Of course we could make more examples of people who just work a boring job they hate but have a loving and caring family of 5 and are happy just to be around them at the end of a boring work day. That's also a form of happiness.

Idk what else to say, I believe I got my point across :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, I think money can bring short-term happiness is small spurts. You can buy a puppy with money and puppies are happiness, but dogs eventually (and sadly) grow up, grow old, and die. ?

In my opinion, true and lasting happiness comes from helping others and serving God. I've used money to buy short spurts of happiness, as I've mentioned, but it's more like a short-lived explosion as compared to a nice, long-lasting camp fire that gets fed from giving and helping.

• 2 weeks later...