Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Computer keyboard rant

I am not a huge computer guy.  I mean, yeah, I built my own system and I program some of my own tools and websites, but I don't care about things like case lighting or spending unnecessary money to make my computer look better.  For me, my computer is a tool.  I use my mine for producing videos, programming, and running my business.

When it comes to my keyboard, however, I am a bit picky.  Any given day I am writing hundreds of lines of code, dozens of e-mails, video descriptions, and other random stuff.  For a long time I used an old IBM Model M keyboard.  It was the first keyboard I had got used, for my first ever computer, and it just worked really well.  Eventually, when I had the money, I built something that was a little bit nicer.  At that time I threw out my old, dirty, model M and replaced it with a brand new, backlit, Logitech keyboard.  It was awful.  Squishy feeling keys that didn't click, it was like typing on tiny sponges.

As time went on I never grew accustomed to the feel of typing on a cheap keyboard with rubber membrane key switches.  My typing speed was cut almost in half, and my typos increased dramatically.  Eventually I got a mechanical keyboard, with cherry blue switches, and it was a lot better, but it wasn't as good as I remember from my old model M.

Eventually I discovered the Unicomp keyboard.  Unicomp was manufacturing keyboards using buckling spring keyswitches, the same as the old Model M.  I couldn't justify the cost of such a keyboard, my mechanical cherry blue keyswitch keyboard was working just fine.  Then, for Christmas one year, my girlfriend gave me the Unicomp keyboard I had been lusting after.  Typing on it it was everything I remembered and more.  Using a keyboard with buckling spring keyswitches is a true joy for me.  Each key press feels like it has significant purpose.  It is absolute and deeply satisfying for me.

Now, after a few years however, my beloved Unicomp keyboard is having issues.  Several of the keys have suddenly stopped working.  Scouring the internet, I'm finding that a few years ago, around the time I got mine, Unicomp's manufacturing quality dropped significantly.  They are molding parts from thinner, weaker plastic, using plastic rivets instead of screws, the metal backplate that supports the keyswitches is lacking support. Many users are now having the same issue that I am, after a few years keys suddenly stop working. 

I'm not sure what to do here.  Currently I'm using an ultra cheap, $10 keyboard, and it is torture.  I contacted Unicomp, and they will repair my keyboard for $30, plus shipping and handling.  I'm not sure what to do though- Do I send it in to be repaired, only to know the build quality is lacking?  To I force myself just to use an awful $10 squishy keyboard?  Do I buy another keyboard, knowing it won't ever be as satisfying to type on as a buckling spring keyboard?

I just googled this, so know nothing at all about if it.  But thought you might want to take a look.  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com

Holy shitballs, I've just seen the prices they are asking for.  Crap. 

I use a Dell keyboard that was borrowed from a work place, it has a nice keypress that isn't squishy and although cheap, might be better option than the proper cheap $10 stuff.  Like this:  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-7VHY1-USB-Keyboard-Black/291933634539?hash=item43f899bfeb:g:5FEAAOSwHMJYHP4B

• 3 weeks later...

No Cherry switch (or Gateron/Outemu/other clone) will be a suitable replacement for a buckling spring. If that feel is something you can't live without, I'd get yours repaired, and go from there.

Alternatively, from what I've heard, these switches (Matias Click's) are the closest modern thing to the old buckling spring designs. If you're cool with going the DIY route (plenty of awesome kits out there these days), then those are an option. I imagine there are some KB's on the market with those switches pre-installed, but I'd have to look around :P

Edit: Just realized this is 2 weeks old xP
I imagine you've already made a decision lmao

Edited by HPattern (see edit history)