Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

A thread for discussing video games. What games have you played recently, did you like them or not? Getting recommendations for certain genres, stuff like that.

Since I made the thread, I'll do my best to kick it off. I've played two games that stand out to me so far this year:

Celeste - I'm not generally a fan of the 2D, Super Meat Boy style platformers, but this one won me over with it's great spritework, tight level design and a story that I thought was very relatable and made me want to finish it.

Slay the Spire - This game is just a perfect mishmash of genres. I love the Dominion card game, I like Rougelikes as long as they get loot right, so this was a perfect fit for me. I've had a ton of fun with this one.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No but I have these *pulls out an eyepatch and pegleg*

PC gamers waiting for MH World be like

My favorite games recently have been Subnautica and Factorio (...and PUBG. Yep! Come at me, haters!) Subnautica - is amazing. I got it maybe a year back in early access, and it's been amazing fro

Posted Images

My favorite games recently have been Subnautica and Factorio (...and PUBG. Yep! Come at me, haters!)

Subnautica - is amazing. I got it maybe a year back in early access, and it's been amazing from the start. Recently hit 1.0, and I need to jump back in, as I haven't played in a couple months now. I've been watching some streams of it, and boooooi is there a lot of new stuff :D

Factorio - is also amazing. Same deal with me getting it in early access, though quite a bit further back than Subnautica. I've sunk 37 hours in so far, and I imagine I'll sink many more. It's nearing 1.0, and it's INSANE how far it's come, and how dedicated the dev team has been. Factorio is the poster child for how an early access campaign should've been run.

PUBG - is fun, and infuriating, to play. I got it waaaay late. As in, I bought it post 1.0, and I've loved it since. I think I missed a lot of the issues plaguing earlier builds, and my R3 1200 + GTX 1060 6GB build runs it just fine. Looks great at 1080p, consistently above 60fps, with some settings turned down, but most high, iirc. I've spent 20 hours in that, on the NA servers exclusively, fwiw, and I've had but one encounter with a cheater so obvious I decided to report them.

Honorable mentions to Fortnite, which I play after rage quitting PUBG so I can feel like an awesome super-gamer, Doki Doki, because of course, and "Tracks - The Train Set Game", because yeeeeeessssss.

My most recent favourites have been:

Resident Evil 7 - Resi returned to its roots as horror while still feeling like a modern game (AKA no tank controls). True to the franchise while still scaring the shit out of you.

Overwatch - It's high noon. 'nuff said.

Team Fortress 2 - I AM VULL UF SANDUVICH! AND I AM COMING FOR YOU!

Dark Souls 3 - Because I'm a masochist.

Deep Space Waifu - Do I really have to explain this one?

^I actually recently got Deep space Waifu when it was on sale during the winter, but I just couldn't get into it. I played like a level and that's it.

As for games I've been playing lately, well I got back into Skyrim after a taking a break from it for a couple months. I don't have the money or hardware for new games.

I rarely play less than two games at a time, so let's see if I can remember what I'm playing.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - I've finished the main story, but I still play it occasionally for sidequests. Despite some missteps with the sound design, I still find it an excellent purchase for anyone into anime-style stories and a deep combat system with loads of customization. Also, great characters and music, gotta bring those up too.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - On the final chapter now, been enjoying this one. The mechanics are archaic by today's standards, but the massive maps, good music, and surprisingly dark storytelling (seriously, Nintendo of America would've probably censored about half the plot back in the 90's) have kept me playing. I've also gained a serious mancrush on Sigurd, and am eagerly awaiting the day they announce an Echoes-style remake for the Switch.

Darkest Dungeon - Didn't pay much attention to this game until the Switch release happened, though I'm still playing it on PC. It's an interesting roguelike with a really grim atmosphere and a tough difficulty. It's not so bad on the easiest setting, but I can imagine the harder modes will destroy you. Not sure if I'll play this to completion, but it's super cheap on PC, so I'm not losing out on too much.

My current plans are to use my tax return money to purchase a PS4 so I can catch up on the exclusives I've been missing out on. Trouble is, I still haven't received all the forms I need to do my taxes, yet. It's quite irksome to check the mail everyday and still not have them yet.

Favourites, because I chat shit about games too much.

Overwatch: OH LET'S BREAK IT DOWN! I'm just gonna sum up Overwatch the way the dank maymays do: "It's TF2 with waifus."

Heroes Of The Storm: The first MOBA I played on PC and by far my most played game on PC. Probably because it was free. I started HOTS as a kind of kiddie pool for League, which a friend of mine was pushing me to play. In the end, HOTS was a lot more enjoyable to me. It's not as monotonous as League, with more maps and objectives to break up the laning phases and late game revolves around which team has the bigger balls as you endlessly team fight. Also, unlike League, I get to play as the worlds most adorable healing panda loli, the worlds most adorable healing faerie dragon loli, and the worlds sexiest healing/speed boosting brazilian DJ, who sadly is not a loli.

Borderlands 2: I like my first person shooters and looters in equal measures, and thankfully Borderlands 2 has both in considerably equal parts. I played this game religiously on the xbone and do sometimes on the PC. Borderlands is one thing: GUNS! Shoot a guy in the face, gun pops out, pick up that gun and go murder hobo on his friends. You can play a dude who dual-wields any two guns, a ninja dude with a sword, or my personal favourite: A cute girl with a giant death mech. It also, and many games could learn from this, has a fucking outstanding story for a game that doesn't want to take itself too seriously.

Cities: Skylines: I am so fucking bad at city building games, I end up destroying my town because I connect the sewers to the drinking water, put poisonous industry next to the residential estate, and forgot to give electricity to 1/10th of my town. But what a glorious, albeit short, 10 minutes they are. Seriously though, I love city building games and Cities: Skylines is probably the best one around, picking up the pieces the shambolic 2013 Simcity left behind. 

Darkest Dungeon: Easily one of my favourite games of recent years. There's so few games I play that have the kind of morbid darkness and brutality DD has. It's a roguelike dungeon crawler that's as painfully punishing as it is fun as your adventuring parties have to deal with their own mentality as well as undead abominations in a world that just wants to break you down. It has it's rage moments since the game is RNG on every turn, but that's part of the fun to me.

I played a decent bit of Darkest Dungeon back in 2016, I think? Sometime around when the game came out, at least. (Pretty sure it was in early access too, at some point) I did enjoy just how oppressive that game got, it does it's best to break the player with emotional blows as favorite party members die off.

I do want to go back and play Subnautica, just to see what's different... But I always end up basically not touching that game when I have it installed... Not sure why,

I had to look up Deep Space Waifu haha.

Edit: Oh and Treasure Adventure World comes out today. I'll be playing that.

Edited by DerivativeWings (see edit history)

I currently have two favorites.  Both of them dungeon crawlers.  Shows where my tastes are.

Etrian Odyssey:

This game series doesn't draw the map for you, but, through the wonders of the DS touch screen, gives you the tools to do so yourself.  The cartography system is well thought out and fun, but this being the same Atlus behind Shin Megami Tensei, combat is REALLY FREAKING HARD.

Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars:

It's a weird mix of dungeon crawler and dating sim parody.  The better your standings with the playable female characters, the better the units you can..."recruit" as you keep some primal force at bay.  All this in a futuristic high school setting.  That's about all I can say without spoiling all the things.  It's quite amusing all told.

Guest Soma-Matic
7 hours ago, Clom said:

Favourites, because I chat shit about games too much.

Overwatch: OH LET'S BREAK IT DOWN! I'm just gonna sum up Overwatch the way the dank maymays do: "It's TF2 with waifus."

Who is you favorite player in Overwatch? For me it's D.VA and MEI. 

4 hours ago, Ultima01 said:

Etrian Odyssey:

This game series doesn't draw the map for you, but, through the wonders of the DS touch screen, gives you the tools to do so yourself.  The cartography system is well thought out and fun, but this being the same Atlus behind Shin Megami Tensei, combat is REALLY FREAKING HARD.

Oh man, Etrian Odyssey is such a great game series I'm surprised it's not discussed more often. To add on to what you've said, I like how the game is told in a first-person perspective that makes role-playing more fun. Though I am surprised you didn't mention the best thing about the game: the lo... I mean the music. Yuzo Koshiro's compositions are amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQcKlQ6iAew

I've been personally working through Stardew Valley  and Final Fantasy Tactics. I enjoy the former because I've always been a huge fan of the Harvest Moon games. I'm probably only going to play to the beginning of the third year and then probably pick it back up when the new content comes out. The latter is of course a masterpiece that I'm playing through it again to experience the story.

2 hours ago, DerivativeWings said:

Now I can't even properly procrastinate. All that's left is to feel vaguely bad for the rest of the day

Isn't that just the worst feeling in the world? I hate when that happens to me.

2 hours ago, DerivativeWings said:

Has any of you played Hollow Knight, by the way? That was like my favorite game 2017 and the best metroidvania I have played in my entire life.

All I know about Hollow Knight is that it's considered a kind of 2d Dark Souls. (Though today literally anything with some modicum of difficulty is Dark Souls.)

I bought it for a friend as a late a birthday present but he wasn't entirely fond of it. I think he played a few hours before deciding he didn't like it and just gave up. I'd like to play it for myself, it looks like my sort of game.

44 minutes ago, Clom said:

All I know about Hollow Knight is that it's considered a kind of 2d Dark Souls. (Though today literally anything with some modicum of difficulty is Dark Souls.)

I bought it for a friend as a late a birthday present but he wasn't entirely fond of it. I think he played a few hours before deciding he didn't like it and just gave up. I'd like to play it for myself, it looks like my sort of game.

Comparing Hollow Knight to Dark Souls isn't too far off the mark, to be honest.

If you think you'd be into it, I highly recommend picking it up; it's got an atmosphere that perfectly paces mystery, dread and lightheartedness against each other.

Edited by DerivativeWings (see edit history)

I haven’t ever gotten into pc games or newest game consoles yet, due to budget, but i did recently get back an old DS game i lost called Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside Story, i beat it in 2 days, it was awesome, because its a level up power based game, and i used to be lazy with that stuff, when i first had the game i never leveled up and it took me 5 tries and up to 3 hours to beat each boss, but this time i did level up high rank and wow was it easier