Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Hold Planner

Guest Nirnroot78

Guest Nirnroot78

I had some free time yesterday after school so I went and ahead and put together a "hold planner" desktop application that's called... Hold Planner. Aside from the rather uncreative name, it's a program that lets you plan holds and save those plans in .txt files (to save a plan, click 'File' in the top left corner and then click 'Save As...'). In theory it can run on as far back as Windows Vista, however I've only actually tested it on Windows 10. The first time you run it, you'll more than likely get a warning from SmartScreen saying that it's a security risk to your computer. Click 'More info' and then click 'Run anyway' and the program will launch. You should only have to go through that SmartScreen block the first time, and then afterwards you should be able to launch it without anymore warnings. 

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/fby1z4hl0p7o7/Hold_Planner

Guest Nirnroot78
On 1/31/2018 at 1:30 AM, Despholder said:

Anyone tested this .exe file?

Definitely good to have safety in mind. To alleviate your worries, the best thing you could probably do is create a Virtual Machine (VM) and test the file in a virtual desktop environment. Oracle VirtualBox is a free virtualization program you could look into. Creating a VM and such is definitely on the heavier side of things, as you also need a host PC (your physical computer) with decent enough specs to run a VM. The alternative would be to find maybe a public computer that doesn't require a personally-identifiable login and get the .exe onto it with a USB stick or the like. 

My word probably doesn't mean much since it's incredibly easy to lie online, but I can guarantee the software isn't harmful. Creating a VM, or even going with the public computer method can both be somewhat tedious tasks, so understandable if you decide to pass on this due to the risk you may believe is posed to your own PC if you were to just run it straight from download without such precautions. If you do decide to try it out however (whether you went with any precautions first or just ran it straight from download), I'd love to hear any feedback you may have! :happy:

(Apologies if by "tested" you meant testing for functionality rather than malware)