Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Request Thread-Research For Creating Better Stories

Disclaimer: While I realize that this might not be the most appropriate place for this thread, i feel that it is the only place where i can get the answers i need.

As i have been reading these amazing stories on this site, i have come to notice that some newer stories gain a lot more  attention and replies faster than others.  This got me thinking, what is it that helps these stories gain views. Now try to understand that i am not whining about lack of views for my stories nor am i trying to solict views for any of my stories. Rather i am curious as to what helps make some stories more attractive than others.  While i get that a lot of it is writing ability, i am curious as to whether there are other factors involved such as popularity of the writer or whether adding tags helps.

I am also interested in finding out more about the readers and writers. What do the readers of this forum like, what don't like, what do they want to see? What do some of the more popular writers do to create these masterpieces? Is it the plot or the description that makes the story? How do those of us who are struggling to write such masterpieces get better?

My goal is to learn to write stories for this forum that people can truly enjoy just as much as i enjoy reading the work of others.  That is why i am requesting input from both the readers and writers so that i can gain more knowledge and insight and ultimately become a better writer.  Even if i can't become a better writer, i think that the knowdledge learned would help some of the other struggling writers as well as newcomers who also have a story to tell but may not be confident with their work.

I'm a writer and even I don't fully understand what makes a story popular. but I can make a few guesses. 

first, is that not everyone will read every story. I think a lot of readers see a good title and check it out.

next would be the tabs. some people are only interested in certain things and depending on the tags might make the person want to read or not.

then there's length. people just like to read different lengths of work. and every one is for a different reason.

a short one-page story might make a personal thing, it's short so it won't take long to read. or, its short so it might have been rushed and not well thought out.

then there's long ongoing ones (like mine) where some people might be interested in coming back to see how the story progresses. or they take a look at how long it is and get intimidating on how much there is to read.

lastly, for the bigger writers, they most likely have been here for a long time and after posting many good works just got a small following who likes what they put out. 

to be honest, i don't know what will get you more views, you just need to keep making good content and hope people like it enough to keep coming back.

While I can't really tell you how to get readers, I can give you some insight into two parts of my creative process. (My main story is in my signature if you want to see what the end result looks like)

Plot hooks

When writing a story, I like to weave something unique into my premise. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a schoolgirl wetting in class, or a business woman at an interview, or what have you. But for a short story, it's good to have a plot hook, essentially, something that grabs the reader's attention quickly. When I wrote Planet of Desperation, I added a plot hook that centered around Omorashi; the toilet directives. I created a small chapter that introduced the reader to the world and the plot hook, so that I could use it later in the story. This also meant that while the first chapter was very light on omorashi content, there was a lot of implied desperation, as this was a world where people could not use the bathroom when they wanted to.

A classic example of an Omorashi-based plot hook would be Faust's Wet Note. (That story has had like nine hundred different iterations, so I'll just link to their most recent interactive) The titular wet note can make any pee incident you write in it happen, as most of you are aware, I'm sure.

Another great example is Rinatro's Night of the Omorashi, an interactive which I think was criminally overlooked during it's runtime. In it, the zombies are attracted to urine, so holding your pee is ingeniously turned into a survival mechanic.

Plot hooks don't have to be about omorashi, but having one is a pretty important part of getting the reader's attention.

Creative production

This is mostly for stories that are a little larger, but something I like to do is create some side-material for my stories. This consists of stuff that the reader doesn't need to see, but I as a writer need to write a consistent story. Mostly maps, and character bios. Whenever I write a new character into one of my stories, I write a little bio for them. This helps keeping the character's personality consistent, and stuff like that. Even if you're only writing a character once, doing something like this is a good way of fleshing them out a little.

I'll post the template I use, as a means of demonstration.

NAME
-short description-

Fun fact: -
Personality: -
Quirk: -
Skin: -
Hair: -
Build: -
Height: X m Weight: X kg Bust: Small/Modest/Big/ect Butt: Small/Modest/Big/ect
Favorite food: X Favorite drink: X
Bladder: Small/Medium/Great/Incredible/ect (Urge is great at around X ml, absolute limit is about X ml)

Edited by DerivativeWings (see edit history)

While I have never written any omo storires, I used to write a lot of fanfictions a few years ago, mostly short stories from Harry Potter, Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings, but also some originals. I developed a small follower base, I had around a hundred regular readers. Might not be a lot, but it's still something I took pride in.

What I believe made my stories popular was the plot, interesting and different characters, detailed descriptions of surroundings and enviroment plays a big part, as it helps the reader understand the atmosphere of the setting. Describe clothing, even if it is just the MC criticizing a bad taste of fashion in the newly introduced character, either the MC telling the other person or simply thinking it.

Then there's the buildup. Be it omorashi or a first kiss, it won't be nothing special if it's not built up correctly. 

Slowly built up desperation with details about what is going through the MC's head every moment of the way, with all feelings and emotions described is always better than the MC quickly becoming desperate, then more desperate, then holding and then bam, wetting. It can feel too rushed, like it was just thrown in there for the sake of having it. That's my opinion at least, others might dislike too detailed description, not everyone is the same after all.

Also, as mentioned, a title that catches a reader's eye helps of course :)