Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Considering making an OmoRPG, anyone interested as an artist?

As the title says, I'm considering making an RPGMaker game with omorashi elements. I've tried most of the games available for download on this site, but it seems that at least as far as games available in English go, for works that actually play well as games apart from the fetish content, the pickings are pretty slim.

I don't have the art skills to make an OmoRPG that I'd be happy with on my own, but if there's anyone interested in teaming up with me, maybe we can help change that together.

Here are some of the things that I can bring to a prospective OmoRPG project:

• Writing. I hold myself to pretty high standards here. I think a good fetish RPG should have writing that can stack up against mainstream story-based games. I've previously co-written an RPG which made the Featured Games list on the RPGMaker Network in 2017, which has gotten positive attention for its story and characterization. If I do go forward with this, I'd like to top that performance here.
  • Mapping: I wouldn't call myself an expert mapper, but I try to at least uphold a not-too-crappy standard for my mapping. Unless there's actually someone else who's really eager to join and do mapping for the game, I'll be doing this myself, and I can at least guarantee that the game isn't going to feature the sort of bleak and desolate mapping that appears in, say, Wetters Taiken.
  • Game Design/Balance: I'm not one of the veterans of the RPGMaker world as far as expertly managed game design, but this is a longtime interest of mine, and I have a fair amount of practice in this field, and I definitely don't intend to half-ass it.
  • Eventing: I'm pretty confident in my eventing skills. I have experience improvising novel game functions via eventing, and I enjoy the challenge of figuring out new eventing solutions for game challenges.

On the other hand, there are some elements I absolutely can't bring to this game myself. Most importantly here, I have no art skills, and I don't think I can make an omo game I'd be satisfied with without appropriate art for the game. If nobody is interested in contributing art for the game, I don't plan to just continue put together the game without it regardless; I already have another long term game project for a more mainstream audience which I don't feel needs the additional art, so if I don't have the resources I feel are important for this project, I'll just spend the extra time on that instead.

Other resources which I can't contribute myself, which I don't think are strictly necessary, but are welcome if other people want to contribute them-

• Composing: There are a lot of free music resources available, but finding the right music for each scene can be pretty laborious, especially the quiet talking scenes, so I'd welcome original music resources if anyone wants to get involved in that way.
  • Scripting: I have absolutely no custom scripting skills. I'm happy to make a game relying entirely on preexisting scripts, but if anyone here is an expert scripter who wants to contribute something original to the project, feel free to let me know.

So, what exactly would the plot and content of this game be? That's still up in the air. Anyone who's interested in joining as an artist, or contributing other resources, would be a full team member with leeway to influence the content and direction of the game. If anyone who wants to join the project isn't interested in getting involved on that level, don't worry. Coming up with plots and premises and such is actually quite easy for me. There are some elements which are important to me though, which are probably going to be present in any game project I'd agree to. It'll be an RPG with elements of adventure and combat, not just a walkaround sim. And omorashi content should be integrated with the story and characterization and such. I don't want to just tack a desperation system onto an otherwise complete game and call it a day.

Anyone who wants to suggest particular things they'd want to see in the game, feel free to do so. But again, I'll need at least one artist collaborator to move this project forward. Since this wouldn't be a commercial work (at the very least, I don't expect there are serious prospects to sell it,) I can't offer a commission for the work. But I hope that someone here is interested in the prospect of contributing their skills to a particularly good OmoRPG. If anyone is interested, I'm happy to provide examples of my own prior work, but I'm hesitant to have my account here linked directly to my other work in a publicly searchable way, so I'd rather do it by private message.

Edited by Mercury (see edit history)

Maybe? I'm not the pickiest about art quality, but I do care quite a bit about visual cohesiveness. So the art should be able to mesh with the default sprite art of the engine (I'd be using VX Ace,) unless you're interested in providing enough to replace it entirely, which seems like a tall order.

I think that occasional full-size illustrations would add a lot to the game. Portraits would also help a lot, but there are some generator options which are reasonably good if you put in the effort to differentiate the faces properly (I don't have the art skills to work from scratch, but I use graphics programs to make tweaks to a portrait generator for my other major project in order to add some flexibility,) so I'm prepared to continue doing that depending on how much work a prospective artist is prepared to put in.

Do you mean you wanted to do a project with someone where you're the one doing the art? Because if so, that's definitely not pushy, it's exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone working with me would definitely be able to give input into the story. My greatest strengths are as a writer, but honestly, ideas come very easily to me, so I don't get particularly attached to them before I hammer out the details. Rather than settling on a specific scenario at the outset and hoping to find someone who's on board with it, I'd rather hammer out something with any potential partners that we'd be mutually enthusiastic about.

Going by your previous posts, it sounds like you're mainly interested in male wetting? My preferences are for female wetting, but I'm not averse to including both.

If you want me to provide some character specifications for portraits, I can give you something to work with, but if you'd like to come up with some character design samples of your own, that's fine. After all, until the premise is hammered down, the specifics of the characters involved are still up in the air. If you'd be doing portraits though, I think facial expressiveness is really important. So some faces expressing embarrassment, bashfulness, panic, or other strong emotions would be good.

To provide at least a minimum of specifics for guidance, I like the image of a character with long bangs looking up through the fringe of their hair while their face is tilted down in embarrassment. If you'd prefer more specifics to narrow things down rather than having that broad discretion, I could come up with something more specific.

Since I'd be juggling it with other projects, I might possibly take you up on that, but I think it's pretty unlikely that I'll delegate that sort of work. I have a very characterization and dialogue-intensive approach to game design, and since it's such a central component of the work, I think it's really important to keep it consistent.

Not that there isn't something to be said for games which feature huge volumes of writing (you'd be hard-pressed to find a single writer who'd put out the amount of character dialogue featured in the Suikoden games alone, for instance,) but I don't want to sacrifice stylistic cohesiveness for volume, especially in a hobby-scale project.

While I enjoy creating art, I feel that there are other people on this website who could do a much better job than me. That's not to say I wouldn't love to give this a try! 

On 1/2/2018 at 3:22 AM, Mercury said:

To provide at least a minimum of specifics for guidance, I like the image of a character with long bangs looking up through the fringe of their hair while their face is tilted down in embarrassment.

I can totally visualise the above and I'm fairly confident that I could produce what you'd want. I'm up for giving it a shot so you can see what you think! 

On a much more certain note, if/when you get to the point in development where you require music, I'd be more than happy to help out! I'm currently studying music and I love composing! Whether it's BGM or SFX, feel free to come to me in regards to anything musical! :)

25 minutes ago, Fishy said:

While I enjoy creating art, I feel that there are other people on this website who could do a much better job than me. That's not to say I wouldn't love to give this a try! 

It'd be nice to have a really outstanding artist to work with, but if I have to choose between a competent but not great artist who shares a vision for what would be appealing in a project and is enthusiastic about the work, or an outstanding artist who doesn't want similar things from the project or feels lukewarm about working on it, then I'd rather work with the former.

That also means that if there are more people interested in the project, even if you're not confident your art skills are the best for the job, I'd suggest letting me know. If there are multiple people who're interested, I'd like to talk with everyone to see who has the most compatible vision for the project.

4 minutes ago, Mercury said:

It'd be nice to have a really outstanding artist to work with, but if I have to choose between a competent but not great artist who shares a vision for what would be appealing in a project and is enthusiastic about the work, or an outstanding artist who doesn't want similar things from the project or feels lukewarm about working on it, then I'd rather work with the former.

That also means that if there are more people interested in the project, even if you're not confident your art skills are the best for the job, I'd suggest letting me know. If there are multiple people who're interested, I'd like to talk with everyone to see who has the most compatible vision for the project.

Sure, that makes sense! If you'd have me on board, then I'm certainly interested! I'll have a shot a creating some art based on your description and you can see what you think!

You know, it this scenario I think it would be really interesting to have a bunch of artists and writers working together, you know, like a nice community collaboration? But having a strong "plot" would be key in a project like this, so trying to do too much in one go might not be too good of an idea. A short, relatively simple game would be good for starters.

As a person who likes omorashi regardless of gender I'd really like to see some more male omorashi, but also, I know trying to do both will require a lot of work , especially if we're talking player character, and especially for the artist.... But theres so many ways to go about this so I'm curious to see where it goes!

I'm a fairly decent figure artist, so I do well with character art, but I have no experience what so ever with backgrounds so the artistic level on those is... not as high to say the least!  I'd love to work on something that mainly focuses on the actual desperation aspect of omo so if thats the direction you're leaning, I'd love to help out with the development. Be it brainstorming, writing or illustrating. I have a pretty critical eye though, and will probably be vocal about it if theres any story elements or mechanics that I find sketchy. You know what I mean... Sketchy.... 

If that doesn't throw you off hmu!!! :O

8 hours ago, Nelipot said:

You know, it this scenario I think it would be really interesting to have a bunch of artists and writers working together, you know, like a nice community collaboration? But having a strong "plot" would be key in a project like this, so trying to do too much in one go might not be too good of an idea. A short, relatively simple game would be good for starters.

My take on this is that there's definitely a such think as "too many cooks." I'm a stickler for coherency and consistency of style, but also, it's much harder to solidify a vision any individual team member is enthusiastic about when you're determining the direction by committee, rather than between a small team. Speaking from experience, it's a lot harder to get even three people to agree on an artistic direction than two.

To bring a project to completion, you want to find the optimum where the decrease in workload split between multiple types of expertise is greater than the increase in difficulty that comes from coordinating multiple people.

If you're interested in the prospect of being the artist for the game though, let me know. I wouldn't worry as much about the backgrounds in the art as the characters themselves, since the game's mapping can do most of the work for establishing the environment.

I'd consider sprite work an appealing but non-essential bonus. The game maker engine already has a pretty serviceable sprite maker function, and I have the Character Creator Workshop for some functions I can't do directly in the base engine (although I could do a lot more with it if I were competent with sprite art myself.) For my other work, it'd be really handy if I had the skills to do sprite animations, but for this game, the option to show pictures of scenes is probably a superior alternative to playing them out in sprite animation anyway.

If you're interested in participating, I'd be happy to discuss ideas for the direction of the game with you.