Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Long lines in Ladies Rooms

Generally accepted and also utter garbage. There isn't a good reason why ladies' lines have to be long while men's are short or non-existent. But that isn't the point right now. :)

Lines are longest in places where either a) people need to pee a lot, b) people all want to pee at the same time, or c) it takes longer to pee than usual.

The biggest queue occur when two or three of these conditions occur simultaneously. 

Pubs and clubs. If they are packed the queue for the ladies will be long. Particularly if it's the kind of place where people dress up. Budget your bladder strength accordingly.

Big concerts and sporting events can be insane since people are drinking alcohol and don't want to pee until the event is over. I actually don't drink at all when I go to one of those because I neither want to spend a hour in a queue nor risk a public accident.

Women take longer to pee largely because our clothes take longer to get out of the way. Only a little with pants, somewhat with skirt + tights, hugely with ball gowns. So anywhere where women are dressed up is potentially problematic. Like the ballet, the opera, or the theatre. I don't drink at those either.

Omo interests aside, I do feel genuinely sorry for women in these situations and can't help feeling that there must be simple improvements that could be made. It seems to me that one of the major factors is that, because ladies toilets (usually) exclusively use cubicles, the number of people who can pee at the same time is much smaller that for men who can pack themselves in at a urinal. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on practical solutions that would be acceptable to women. I'm sure there's a market opportunity here.

1 hour ago, Racehorse said:

Omo interests aside, I do feel genuinely sorry for women in these situations and can't help feeling that there must be simple improvements that could be made. It seems to me that one of the major factors is that, because ladies toilets (usually) exclusively use cubicles, the number of people who can pee at the same time is much smaller that for men who can pack themselves in at a urinal. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on practical solutions that would be acceptable to women. I'm sure there's a market opportunity here.

Thanks for caring! :)

By far the easiest fix is to simply make ladies' bathrooms larger in locations where there is going to be heavy demand. Done and done. Just make them bigger.

Alternatively you could make restrooms unisex. Which is more efficient but would definitely face some resistance.

I also have a related story to tell;

Earlier in the year I went to see Adele in Sydney, couldn't get tickets to Brisbane, whatever, not important. It was at a kinda inconvenient stadium transport-wise, if you know Sydney you know Homebush is a horror getting to-and-from. We were running a bit late because of said transport horror, the train signals had malfunctioned from the heat and by the time I sat down in the stadium we were ten minutes late. It didn't matter though, the concert was delayed for like half an hour till the train mix-up got fixed and everyone arrived.

Concert was great. Afterward I thought I should probably pee before leaving the stadium because it could take a while to get to where we were staying. Nope. The queue for the ladies' was comfortably more than 100 women deep. No word of exaggeration. It snaked down the concourse, around corners! I decided to hold it. It took 90 minute to get back due to the literal crush of people waiting for a train coupled with the packed train itself. There was absolutely no place to pee between to station and where we were going. I was fine, I don't drink before or during concerts like I mentioned earlier. So no story from me I'm afraid. But I'm sure other people at that concert would have stories. Because the straight-up only options were 1) Hold it for five+ hours 2) Pee break during the embarrassingly expensive one-time concert 3) Wait in a line for literally an hour.

Any type of event that has a decent amount of women attending will create huge lines. I quite enjoy being in long lines around other desperate ladies so the best way to make that happen is just to keep an eye out for events in nearby cities :P Other than events there aren't really any particular places I've seen that have long lines, maybe during certain hours of the day when there are more people passing by something like a train station.

Nightclubs have always been the worst in my experience. The ladies queue is often 20 people long while there's no visible queue for the men's at all. Often means that all but one of the loos are so bad that they're unusable.

The longest wait I've had is at a festival, but the toilets were mixed gender there.

The best toilet situation I've had is at my old work place, where there were four ladies toilets and only about six of us in the entire workforce lol.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, Carys said:

Nightclubs have always been the worst in my experience. The ladies queue is often 20 people long while there's no visible queue for the men's at all. Often means that all but one of the loos are so bad that they're unusable.

The longest wait I've had is at a festival, but the toilets were mixed gender there.

The best toilet situation I've had is at my old work place, where there were four ladies toilets and only about six of us in the entire workforce lol.

In reading your response it got me thinking so I have a few questions that I hope you will answer.

When you are at the night clubs how long do you usually have to wait to pee? With the situation that you have described do you therefore plan to go for a pee before you are actually bursting or do you hold off till hat last minute and then suffer in line pee dancing? Have the bathrooms ever been so bad that you decided to continue to hold it rather that relieving yourself, and what was the final result?

Finally at the festival you described how long did you actually have to wait in line to pee and did you make it while you were still dry?

Thanks for any further information you can supply.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, gtg2468 said:

This has been the story of my life  esp when I get out of work  ( I'm a nurse which is already bladder stressful ) and we aren't allowed to take a personal break 3 hours before shifts end   then when it does end you have 25+ women dying to use an employee restroom with only two stalls  where the men's room has two stalls and a urinal. 

This is really surprising especially being within the healthcare industry. Is there a reason that a rule such as you describe of not being allowed to have a break 3 hours prior to shift end is in place. It seems hard to imagine so many desperate women not complaining about this type of situation if it occurs on a regular basis especially in our current society where it seems lawsuits come about at the drop of a hat.

5 hours ago, desp-fan2013 said:

In reading your response it got me thinking so I have a few questions that I hope you will answer.

When you are at the night clubs how long do you usually have to wait to pee? With the situation that you have described do you therefore plan to go for a pee before you are actually bursting or do you hold off till hat last minute and then suffer in line pee dancing? Have the bathrooms ever been so bad that you decided to continue to hold it rather that relieving yourself, and what was the final result?

Finally at the festival you described how long did you actually have to wait in line to pee and did you make it while you were still dry?

Thanks for any further information you can supply.

Honestly it's difficult to tell how long waits actually were, I lose time whenever I'm ever in a nightclub and am normally fairly unsober too lol.

I left it longer to queue up when I was younger and stupider than I would now (I also stick to shots now to lessen the number of trips). I did end up "dancing" a lot though, and in earlier days, a few times, I wet myself in the queue - in those cases I stayed queued and tried to make it as subtle as possible, then when finally in the cubicle, wipe my legs, bin my knickers (I'm a skirt and dress wearer) and get home ASAP.

Never refused to use a toilet in the club for dirtiness, I'd always cross my legs as I grabbed toilet paper and furiously wiped down enough of the seat that it didn't contaminate my bum lmao. I have too weak a bladder to consider putting it off. I did wet myself in a taxi once, when I misjudged how much i needed to go when the lights came up and the club announced closing time. Didn't get caught for it (and was a little too out of it to apologise), but felt horrible for doing it after.

At the festival, I didn't make it once on the first day, but I ducked out of the queue and got somewhere with minimal eyes on me to wee. Paid £20 for access to the good toilets in the festival area after that, and in the camping area, I just squatted next to my tent and watered the grass like my mates did ?

Only other incident was wetting myself in the crowd by the stage, but that was pretty much deliberate - it was a couple of minutes before the headliner was on and I'd spent hours I wasn't undoing nudging my way into a spot right near the front.

10 hours ago, desp-fan2013 said:

This is really surprising especially being within the healthcare industry. Is there a reason that a rule such as you describe of not being allowed to have a break 3 hours prior to shift end is in place. It seems hard to imagine so many desperate women not complaining about this type of situation if it occurs on a regular basis especially in our current society where it seems lawsuits come about at the drop of a hat.

It's because it's at the end of the shift and they not only don't want you cutting out early leaving patients unattended but also that's when there's the change over and the night nurses must brief the day nurses taking over of any special conditions or patients requiring immediate assistance  and also to have enough hands on deck should a serious code get called. 

One of the most memorable queues I experienced a few years ago was in a shopping mall, just before Christmas. The toilets were at the end of a long corridor. Ladies to the left, gents to the right (and disabled strait ahead). The queue for the ladies was very long. My wife reluctantly joined the queue. We were both acutely aware of the recently enjoyed coffee, so had no choice. I left her at the end of the queue as I joined the very short queue for the gents. It probably only took four or five minutes in the queue before I had my turn. Add another minute or so to wash hands and then I was able to join my wife again. She looked worried! The queue had barely moved and her need was easy to see. Behind her was another five or six newly arrived ladies. The lady behind my wife had lots of shopping bags and was clearly distressed at finding a queue. She had 'tut-tutted' to my wife about finding the long queue. Over the next ten minutes a few women had given up waiting so we moved forward a way but the lady behind had been clutching her bags tightly in front of her and suddenly she just gasped and gave up waiting. As she left she whimpered 'Oh Christ' and took off back into the shopping mall again. I think she had started wetting herself and couldn't face making a puddle right there before us all. My wife now had to decide whether she should, or could, stay in the queue or leave and urgently find another solution to her problem. I encouraged her to go with the second option, since standing here with so many other desperate women was embarrassing for everyone. We left and headed back to the multi-story car park as quickly as my wife's bursting bladder would allow. There were a few wet footprints on the floor which was most likely down to the lady with the shopping bags. As soon as we got to  the car my wife lifted the boot lid (we were parked with the back of the car facing the wall) and took what little privacy the boot lid provided to gain the relief she desperately needed. For a very long time my thoughts were with the ladies still in that queue, each struggling to hold on as best they could.

In seeing a long line of women waiting for the restroom, I have noticed some women either upon seeing the line turn around and leave, or wait a bit and then leave to look for a better place to go. I often wonder what the final results are in a situation like that, as in general in most places once a line forms at one ladies room, there is a good chance that all of the surrounding ladies rooms will have similar waits. What runs through the desperate woman's mind who leaves one ladies line only to find the next place she approaches has similar issues, only now she is probably even more desperate due to the further delay of having left one line and taken time to find a situation no better than the first.

Would love to hear from any women that have found themselves in this situation, did you finally find a restroom with a shorter line or did you have to become somewhat more creative in finding a way to address your needs. Perhaps you simply had no other choice but to continue to hold on and suffer till you returned home or to another location for relief?

On 9/13/2017 at 11:41 AM, WaityKaty said:

By far the easiest fix is to simply make ladies' bathrooms larger in locations where there is going to be heavy demand. Done and done. Just make them bigger.

Alternatively you could make restrooms unisex. Which is more efficient but would definitely face some resistance.

I agree about unisex bathrooms. If men are shy about using urinals around women, why not put privacy walls between urinals. I don't get why they don't do that regardless (so I've herd). And I really feel like people would get over the nervousness quickly. There could be single bathrooms for people who refuse to use a unisex one. 

On 9/16/2017 at 7:16 PM, Spectator9 said:

The building code in some places now calls for "potty parity", which may mean up to twice as many fixtures (toilets/urinals) for women as for men.  However, if the total number of fixtures for the building's capacity doesn't change, that might result in fewer fixtures for the men, so we may now see more lines at the men's room door! 

If you don't have "potty parity" then you need "potty panties" (i.e. nappies/diapers) :wink:

12 hours ago, SomeGirl said:

I agree about unisex bathrooms. If men are shy about using urinals around women, why not put privacy walls between urinals. I don't get why they don't do that regardless (so I've herd). And I really feel like people would get over the nervousness quickly. There could be single bathrooms for people who refuse to use a unisex one. 

It would also solve the whole "which bathroom do trans people use" thing. 

On 9/17/2017 at 4:16 AM, Spectator9 said:

The building code in some places now calls for "potty parity", which may mean up to twice as many fixtures (toilets/urinals) for women as for men.  However, if the total number of fixtures for the building's capacity doesn't change, that might result in fewer fixtures for the men, so we may now see more lines at the men's room door! 

That's about the correct ratio to ensure wait times are equally likely, and equally lengthy at both bathrooms. Which seems fair to me. :)

I suspect though that there will never be long lines for men's rooms. The total number of fixtures will just be increased. Women have long queues because it's, as OP said, "generally accepted". 

8 hours ago, WaityKaty said:

It would also solve the whole "which bathroom do trans people use" thing. 

That's about the correct ratio to ensure wait times are equally likely, and equally lengthy at both bathrooms. Which seems fair to me. :)

I suspect though that there will never be long lines for men's rooms. The total number of fixtures will just be increased. Women have long queues because it's, as OP said, "generally accepted". 

I'm not so sure that the number of fixtures will increase unless it is required by law.  Each fixture and the space it occupies impacts the cost of the building, and it's all about profit.  Airlines provide the bare minimum number of toilets because toilets don't buy tickets.  

Airlines are a completely different, and unisex, story. Obviously grams and centimeters are a huge factor when you are trying to propel a metal tube at great speeds thousands of kilometers through the sky. :)

There is very little point in most buildings having so few/so tiny bathrooms that it becomes unpleasant to be there. Otherwise they would already, right? Expectations are a much bigger factor. 

• 1 month later...

Since I began to hate and avoid public washrooms since my early childhood (and trained to hold), this long queues don't affect me. I just look and smile at those poor weak bladdered ladies waiting in the queue and just leave with a full bladder because I can hold until I reach home.

In my school also I have seen long queues for toilets because we're allowed to go only at the lunch break. (Toilets are locked as soon as school is over and so can't go after school) So only chance to go is at the lunch break. But so many girls don't get a chance to go because they spend the whole time in the queue, with the queue still stationary. So I don't even look at the school toilets, regardless how badly I want to go. One day I felt the need to pee in the early morning as soon as I reached the school, (And also drank a lot of water as usual before the break) and held that load of pee until the school is over. I was so sorry about those weak bladdered girls in my school and I trained few girls to hold like me.

Now I work as a part time dancer and waitress in a night club. The employees don't have separate toilets and have to use the toilets of the customers. Always There's a long queue for ladies toilet and we can't spend an hour of our duty time to wait in the queue, which means we can't pee during our duty. (Also takes a lot of time to remove and redress dancing costumes) My hard trained bladder helps me a lot 

• 1 year later...

I use to travel a lot for work and some of the longest lines I have seen were in airports.  It was usually late flights that arrived at night and the restrooms were closed for cleaning / maintenance so there was only one restroom available.  I have also seen long lines at local fun runs where all the runners queue up to use the restroom shortly before the start of the race.  

Even thought I wear diapers they don't last forever and I have been desperate for a diaper change and had to wait in line to use a restroom.