Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

So, I actually do not like NGE, at all -- mainly because of 2 reasons: I'm agnostic and do not enjoy the religious aspect of the series AND the main characters CRIES.  ALL.  THE.  TIME.  It's exhausting.

HOWEVER, when Master watches, the opening song gets stuck in my head and since I was a voice minor I finally, FINALLY mastered the a Capella version.  If anyone is interested, I'll try to find a way to upload it here.

Maybe I missed something when watching it, the series was very complex and I'm not particularly well-versed in any religion, but I found Evangelion to be much more rooted in spirituality than it was in religion. Sure, there were definitely some religious undertones in the series, but I found none of them to be dominating or overbearing.

Although they are similar subjects, religion and spirituality are two different things. A person can be spiritual without being religious. Like the OP, I also classify myself as agnostic, however I also consider myself to be somewhat spiritual. I thoroughly enjoyed this component of Evangelion. And I don't mean to come off as rude, but to dismiss Evangelion because of this aspect strikes me as being closed-minded.

And yes, Shinji is incredibly whiny, but I promise he gets better in later episodes! Now Asuka, as cute as she is, will always be a brat XD

Edited by poads (see edit history)
2 hours ago, poads said:

Maybe I missed something when watching it, the series was very complex and I'm not particularly well-versed in any religion, but I found Evangelion to be much more rooted in spirituality than it was in religion. Sure, there were definitely some religious undertones in the series, but I found none of them to be dominating or overbearing.

Although they are similar subjects, religion and spirituality are two different things. A person can be spiritual without being religious. Like the OP, I also classify myself as agnostic, however I also consider myself to be somewhat spiritual. I thoroughly enjoyed this component of Evangelion. And I don't mean to come off as rude, but to dismiss Evangelion because of this aspect strikes me as being closed-minded.

And yes, Shinji is incredibly whiny, but I promise he gets better in later episodes! Now Asuka, as cute as she is, will always be a brat XD

I don't think you sound rude at all!  No worries!  I have watched of Evangelion -- it's just not up my alley.  I find it religious, but I can see why you would say it's more spiritual.  It just...Shinji was the worst.  Shinji is actually the main reason I didn't like it.  However, it's strange, because I DO like Code Geass -- but maybe it's because they vilify the papacy (I grew up Catholic). LOL

On 26/8/2017 at 0:48 AM, mastersnothing said:

So, I actually do not like NGE, at all -- mainly because of 2 reasons: I'm agnostic and do not enjoy the religious aspect of the series AND the main characters CRIES.  ALL.  THE.  TIME.  It's exhausting.

HOWEVER, when Master watches, the opening song gets stuck in my head and since I was a voice minor I finally, FINALLY mastered the a Capella version.  If anyone is interested, I'll try to find a way to upload it here.

the religius aspect of it does not exist, they just used biblical mithology, the main them is nietzsche and sartre's philosophy (and hating it fot the religous aspect is a stupid reason) and for the second point you made you just didn't understand him and his psicology, you should watch it again with a more open mind and maybe after study a bit nietzsche, sartre and psicology

Edited by biondi (see edit history)
5 hours ago, biondi said:

the religius aspect of it does not exist, they just used biblical mithology, the main them is nietzsche and sartre's philosophy (and hating it fot the religous aspect is a stupid reason) and for the second point you made you just didn't understand him and his psicology, you should watch it again with a more open mind and maybe after study a bit nietzsche, sartre and psicology

Whoa there... its just a show. We probably shouldnt use the word "stupid" ok? Lets respect each other.

7 hours ago, biondi said:

While I appreciate your opinion, these things I mentioned were what I saw in the show -- just as you saw and understood other things.  I'm not a religious person, so even biblical mythology turns me off.  I would suggest, however, if you're going to try and one-up me in the intellectual department, or haphazardly suggest that I'm not intellectually well-rounded enough to get the subtle nuances of the show in question, you should try to look to your spelling.  

A war, debate, argument, or differences in opinion are always best handled with the sharpest tools. :) 

Edited by mastersnothing (see edit history)
2 hours ago, jiffyomo said:

Whoa there... its just a show. We probably shouldnt use the word "stupid" ok? Lets respect each other.

I may not agree with the opinion, but I will stand by their right to express it however they wish.  I'm also a lot tougher than to be insulted by such a meaningless word. ^_~  However, I love that you're my white knight and supporter so often!

2 hours ago, mastersnothing said:

While I appreciate your opinion, these things I mentioned were what I saw in the show -- just as you saw and understood other things.  I'm not a religious person, so even biblical mythology turns me off.  I would suggest, however, if you're going to try and one-up me in the intellectual department, or haphazardly suggest that I'm not intellectually well-rounded enough to get the subtle nuances of the show in question, you should try to look to your spelling.  

A war, debate, argument, or differences in opinion are always best handled with the sharpest tools. :) 

A well equipped retort.  Well done.

2 hours ago, mastersnothing said:

I may not agree with the opinion, but I will stand by their right to express it however they wish.  I'm also a lot tougher than to be insulted by such a meaningless word. ^_~  However, I love that you're my white knight and supporter so often!

I know you can take it. One as disciplined and dedicated as you certainly has the strength to not be damaged by a silly word... i just dont like to see people disrespect each other. 

8 hours ago, jiffyomo said:

6 hours ago, mastersnothing said:

if you thought I was trying to offend it wasn't my opinion, I was just trying to explain why you were wrong and why you didn't understood it

11 hours ago, biondi said:

if you thought I was trying to offend it wasn't my opinion, I was just trying to explain why you were wrong and why you didn't understood it

*understand

It's mighty big of you to set me right when I'm so obviously wrong -- it's also mighty trite of you to think you can tell people they're wrong and just didn't understand something.  

You see, in case you weren't aware, many psychology (that's the proper way to spell it, by the way) researchers, and neurological scientist believe there is no solid, concrete "right" or "wrong" answer to interpreting the arts, in fact, most artists prefer you take your own reasoning, background, and emotions to suss out how you think the characters were thinking and how they must have felt.  

In closing -- 

-- in a language you're sure to understand: the fucking CREATORS of the show out right said it had large amounts of HEAVY religious subtexts, you simple git.  

Who the hell do you think you are?

11 minutes ago, mastersnothing said:

*understand

It's mighty big of you to set me right when I'm so obviously wrong -- it's also mighty trite of you to think you can tell people they're wrong and just didn't understand something.  

You see, in case you weren't aware, many psychology (that's the proper way to spell it, by the way) researchers, and neurological scientist believe there is no solid, concrete "right" or "wrong" answer to interpreting the arts, in fact, most artists prefer you take your own reasoning, background, and emotions to suss out how you think the characters were thinking and how they must have felt.  

In closing -- 

-- in a language you're sure to understand: the fucking CREATORS of the show out right said it had large amounts of HEAVY religious subtexts, you simple git.  

Who the hell do you think you are?

I'd like to discuss with you but is obvious that you don't want to hear other opinions, so goodbye

6 minutes ago, biondi said:

I'd like to discuss with you but is obvious that you don't want to hear other opinions, so goodbye

But wait a moment, you started out by insulting me...that's not a discussion and then after that you flat out tell me that you weren't stating opinion, you were just telling me I was wrong. 

So, what part of that was your opinion and if you think you are the wronged party in this, you're INCORRECT.