Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

5 hours ago, rachelkirwan said:

Props to him, he's using something that actually looks like blood. I had an entire workshop discussion on how pad advertisements use blue water... like I'm not leaking blue liquid here :)

I've got a massive collection of random pads accumulated over a number of years, and a lot of them come in sealed packages...

I honestly don't know, it was one of those this idea really odd thing to see. I've never looked at any of this to see if it is true or not. However i figured I'd share with our female members here as they might not know

Here are some reasons I really didn't like this video:

So buddy starts out telling us that pads are evil because they're not sealed, and therefore not sanitary. But that's not what 'sanitary' entails. He's possibly confusing 'sanitary' with 'sterile'. That's just semantics though. His point is that pads don't usually come in fully sealed wrappers, and that's bad. The problem is that he makes no attempt to demonstrate that it's actually bad, and just hopes people's germophobia programming will kick in and take care of the convincing part. I wonder how he would react if he found out that some women use cloth pads with no wrappers at all, and then just wash them in the washing machine.

Then he does a comparative absorbency test. He pours 50ml (because most women only use one pad for their entire period) of fluid on each pad pancake style (because most women's vaginas rapidly migrate back and forth on their bodies during their periods to ensure even distribution). Unsurprisingly, the pad he's shilling wins.

Then he switches gears. Now pads aren't evil because of the germs, it's the chemicals you have to watch out for. They'll give your vagina so many types of cancer. Except they won't.

Then he shoots a bunch of next-level BS - the blue dye used in the wicking layer of the pad will somehow get into your bloodstream(!), the fluff inside pads is made of LITERAL GARBAGE THAT THEY BLEACHED(!!), a polyp is a common thing to find in a pad(!?), and that all the blood, polyps, urine, dyes, and ground up bleached trash get together and make dioxins (actually, no, sorry, he said that they make "a chemical called dioxin". Dioxins are a big family of mostly toxic chemicals. The one that is sometimes called dioxin - 1,4-dioxin - is unstable and nontoxic, so he couldn't have been referring to that.). These claims are absurd and asserted without evidence, so I feel comfortable refuting them without evidence.

Despite all his concern about plastic getting into the body, he doesn't seem to be bothered by the plastic pop bottle in the background. Maybe he's just holding it for a friend...

Then he started taking the pad he's shilling for apart, and he said something about negative ions, and I rolled my eyes so hard that I tore a muscle and now I have a lazy eye. When I got back from the eye doctor, the video was over, so I was curious about what this guy's deal is. To nobody's surprise, he's in on some kind of multi-level marketing scheme. If anything, that made me dislike the whole thing more. If he was some granola guy who really believed all the stuff about the dyes and plastics, he might just be misguided. But he doesn't believe any of this horseshit, he's just shouting scary words into a camera for money. He's purposely deceiving people for personal gain. Don't be deceived.

Here are the real PSAs:

1. Don't get involved in multi-level marketing. Panhandling is more dignified and has better hours.
  2. Pads won't kill you. If you're worried about your pad's impact on the planet, use cloth pads or a diva cup.
  3. Don't call women "our women" the way he does. They're their own people, and are collectively referred to as "women".
12 hours ago, supernerd222 said:

So buddy starts out telling us that pads are evil because they're not sealed, and therefore not sanitary. But that's not what 'sanitary' entails. He's possibly confusing 'sanitary' with 'sterile'. That's just semantics though. His point is that pads don't usually come in fully sealed wrappers, and that's bad. The problem is that he makes no attempt to demonstrate that it's actually bad, and just hopes people's germophobia programming will kick in and take care of the convincing part. I wonder how he would react if he found out that some women use cloth pads with no wrappers at all, and then just wash them in the washing machine.

Then he does a comparative absorbency test. He pours 50ml (because most women only use one pad for their entire period) of fluid on each pad pancake style (because most women's vaginas rapidly migrate back and forth on their bodies during their periods to ensure even distribution). Unsurprisingly, the pad he's shilling wins.

Then he switches gears. Now pads aren't evil because of the germs, it's the chemicals you have to watch out for. They'll give your vagina so many types of cancer. Except they won't.

Then he shoots a bunch of next-level BS - the blue dye used in the wicking layer of the pad will somehow get into your bloodstream(!), the fluff inside pads is made of LITERAL GARBAGE THAT THEY BLEACHED(!!), a polyp is a common thing to find in a pad(!?), and that all the blood, polyps, urine, dyes, and ground up bleached trash get together and make dioxins (actually, no, sorry, he said that they make "a chemical called dioxin". Dioxins are a big family of mostly toxic chemicals. The one that is sometimes called dioxin - 1,4-dioxin - is unstable and nontoxic, so he couldn't have been referring to that.). These claims are absurd and asserted without evidence, so I feel comfortable refuting them without evidence.

Despite all his concern about plastic getting into the body, he doesn't seem to be bothered by the plastic pop bottle in the background. Maybe he's just holding it for a friend...

Then he started taking the pad he's shilling for apart, and he said something about negative ions, and I rolled my eyes so hard that I tore a muscle and now I have a lazy eye. When I got back from the eye doctor, the video was over, so I was curious about what this guy's deal is. To nobody's surprise, he's in on some kind of multi-level marketing scheme. If anything, that made me dislike the whole thing more. If he was some granola guy who really believed all the stuff about the dyes and plastics, he might just be misguided. But he doesn't believe any of this horseshit, he's just shouting scary words into a camera for money. He's purposely deceiving people for personal gain. Don't be deceived.

Here are the real PSAs:

1. Don't get involved in multi-level marketing. Panhandling is more dignified and has better hours.
  2. Pads won't kill you. If you're worried about your pad's impact on the planet, use cloth pads or a diva cup.
  3. Don't call women "our women" the way he does. They're their own people, and are collectively referred to as "women".

Well first I haven't looked into this as it is, nor have I planned to. I figured I would share something that has an effect on women every day. If this product works the way it was intended then no harm no foul. There really isn't any reason to get uppity about this as you are. I have many female friends whom have sworn off wearing pads because of a multitude of reasons. Yet I am sure there are those whom still use them and have an issue with them.

I suppose the last thing is you are trying way to hard to bash the video and the product. If it works great if it doesn't then it is a scheme oh well. 

The verbiage he used in referencing "our women" he is talking to his friends in regards to their spouses and daughters. So in context he is correct.

21 hours ago, supernerd222 said:

Here are the real PSAs:

Really well put, I didn't even think about this, and it was a TLDR (or TLDW) situation, Ions.. lols.

10 hours ago, icewolf said:

Well first I haven't looked into this as it is, nor have I planned to.

You should look into things that you post. People not looking into things is how crap like this propagates.

If this product works the way it was intended then no harm no foul. There really isn't any reason to get uppity about this as you are.

Yes harm and yes foul. He's not just pitching a product. He's actively lying about both normal pads and the pad he's pitching. It's harmful to tell people that the fluff inside pads is made out of ground-up garbage and that it turns into dioxins, because you're trying to make people believe things that are simply not true. It's foul to lie to people in order to trick them into buying something you're selling.

Contrast with the classic slap-chop infomercial, in which the always charismatic Vince Offer tried to convince people to drop $20 on a junky kitchen gadget. Your argument would apply there: Vince just uses rhetoric to make people feel like chopping vegetables is a lot of work, and this thing would be easier. If he's not lying about what it does (and he's not), no problem. But if he then went on to say that chopping vegetables with a knife produces cyanide, knife handles are made out of dried animal feces, and the sound the slap-chop makes when you use it is harmonically tuned to release positive energies into your kitchen... that would cross an ethical line.

The product itself is probably perfectly fine. The negative ion seaweed layer has no special properties, but the pad is probably adequate at absorbing blood. Hell, maybe it's even a good pad relative to the average one. Even if it's literally the best pad ever made, the manufacturers chose to market it in an unethical way.

Which is suspicious, because if I made a genuine improvement on a common household product, I would market it based on its actual merits. I certainly wouldn't base my pitch on absurd lies about the existing product and pseudoscience about my version, and then leave it to MLM people to make the case for me. If I truly invented a better mousetrap, I wouldn't sell it by claiming that normal mousetraps make your house haunted and that my mousetrap passively sanitizes the wifi in your home so it won't give you cancer. And If I did try to market it that way, I wouldn't have much grounds to complain when people didn't take it seriously and thought it was a scam. And if people took it seriously anyway and my mousetrap was a huge success and everyone acknowledged that it was an improvement on the old design, I'd still be a shitty person for lying to people for personal gain.

So then your gripe about this is how this individual delivered a presentation from what you have said. That is up to you, however as I have already stated I haven't looked into this as I don't require them. However if anything he stated is true, then I would prefer that the women I care about to know about it. As these things are ultimately their choice to begin and end with. 

As the title states "I guess" beings I don't have facts to prove or disprove what has been said, it is a public service announcement to inform any whom might care to give it more care can look into for themself. 

Now I personally am done defending this, and would appreciate that you cease as well and let the ladies decide what they wish to do for themselves.

9 hours ago, icewolf said:

As the title states "I guess" beings I don't have facts to prove or disprove what has been said, it is a public service announcement to inform any whom might care to give it more care can look into for themself.

It's not a PSA. It's an ad, and it's a really shady ad for a product sold by a company that has a bad business model.

Why are you defending it anyway? I honestly thought your reaction was going to be like, "oh, my bad, didn't realize it was a sketchy thing". You said a friend of yours shared a post about this. is he in on the MLM thing? Like, what happened? You saw the video, you thought maybe some of the pseudoscience was for real and thought you should get the word out? I'm not trying to attack you here, I'm attacking the video. I just don't get why you're wrapped up in it.

Also, why did you post it on the diaper forum? Setting aside whether or not it's cool to post ads on forums, this has nothing to do with diapers. Why not general discussion?

I think you should edit your post to remove the video, because it's basically spam.

On 7/28/2017 at 10:11 PM, supernerd222 said:

Even if it's literally the best pad ever made, the manufacturers chose to market it in an unethical way.

Companies marketing off of unsubstantiated fear-mongering is always a big red flag. A primarily MLM structure is also a big red flag...

On 7/28/2017 at 10:11 PM, supernerd222 said:

You should look into things that you post. People not looking into things is how crap like this prop

Most people never look into these things, which more often than not fail to provide a single non-recursive citation. They just see their friend/family/acquaintance share it on FB/Insta/Twitter and immediately repost it without a second thought. They appeal to their preconceptions and give them a feeling of pride sharing it with others they care about. MLM organizations prey on this to create self-propelled marketing vehicles that grow exponentially with no further cost after the first few influencers are paid. Unfortunately this has led to the epidemic of fake news, and a resurgence of infomercial products and MLM schemes in general...

On 7/29/2017 at 3:07 PM, supernerd222 said:

It's not a PSA

It's certainly not, but as long as plenty of people spread it around acting like it is, he gets exactly what he wants, and the scheme continues to grow.

On 7/29/2017 at 3:07 PM, supernerd222 said:

Also, why did you post it on the diaper forum? Setting aside whether or not it's cool to post ads on forums, this has nothing to do with diapers.

Agreed. This is more appropriate for Off-Topic IMO...

Edited by HPattern
A letter (see edit history)

I already had attempted to have this moved as I wasn't sure as to were to put it. If this product works then why bash it, if what is said holds any truth what harm will it bring? This has been spun into something it shouldn't have been to begin with. I put in here because we do have some member who use pads, if this product does what is claimed then they get to enjoy that aspect. 

Beings that I have repeatedly said I personally have not looked into the product nor the claims that have been made yet i have been attacked because folks want to pick apart words or how it's marketed is a bunch of bs.

22 hours ago, HPattern said:

Most people never look into these things, which more often than not fail to provide a single non-recursive citation. They just see their friend/family/acquaintance share it on FB/Insta/Twitter and immediately repost it without a second thought. They appeal to their preconceptions and give them a feeling of pride sharing it with others they care about. MLM organizations prey on this to create self-propelled marketing vehicles that grow exponentially with no further cost after the first few influencers are paid. Unfortunately this has led to the epidemic of fake news, and a resurgence of infomercial products and MLM schemes in general...

This is a huge problem. I had to quit all my social media a couple of years back for basically this reason. I'm legit worried about the long-term viability of democracy as a way of doing things. It's become pretty clear that the craft of propaganda (not just government propaganda. The ad in this thread is a form of propaganda) has gotten far enough that a huge segment of the population can be manipulated into believing/doing basically whatever.

OP probably isn't getting paid. It's just easier for him to believe that pads could maybe possibly (he hasn't looked into it) be made out of ground up domestic waste that turns into Agent Orange when exposed to blood. The alternative is for him to believe that him and his friend were tricked, and who wants to believe something like that?

I think @supernerd222 has summed things up very well here. He is completely in the right for calling this out for what it is, and the concerns raised regarding how easily people can be manipulated into spreading misinformation like this is a serious and legitimate concern, so I applaud him for taking the time to spell this out in detail.

There was nothing here indicating a personal attack against you @icewolf, so you shouldn't take it as such. However, you should do a little more research into things before blindly posting it on forums like this, or elsewhere on social media.

As pretty much everything that needs to be said has been said here, I'm going to go ahead and lock this topic.

• The topic was locked
On 7/29/2017 at 7:04 AM, icewolf said:

and let the ladies decide what they wish to do for themselves.

Hey, I'm a lady here to give you a PSA that everything @supernerd222 said is on the fucking ball. This video is just...bad. If I saw any of my close friends buy into stuff like this I would go out of my way to make sure they knew everything he just said, because its misinformative propaganda relating to womens health, and ANY sort of misleading information regarding my health or the health of other women is not okay, because well you see, health is important. Might be an extreme comparison I'm about to make, but think about anti-vaxxers. Imagine an anti-vax video being posted, somebody saying what is wrong with such, and then someone being like "Well I thought it could be informative, let people make their own decisions." Again, might be an extreme comparison but same basic motif: misinformation about ones health is very very dangerous and like was already stated, social media is terrible for this kind of thing.

Obviously not OP's fault, but the attempt to stay on the fence is concerning given that the video is obviously, pardon my french, ahem ahem, cough cough...complete fucking horseshit.

Due to medical reasons, I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about this sort of thing right now but, for any other ladies looking here
H o r s e s h i t.

P.S The big cheese totally locked this while I was typing but I'm finishing this post anyway because I'm magic.