Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Did you ever have a teacher who wouldn't let you go?

Very easy solution that solves the vast majority of true restroom needs during class. A solution that all colleges and universities that I am aware follow.  There is enough time for all students to go to the restroom if needed every hour.  In two hour courses, the bell rings at 50 minutes.  There is a ten minute break.  Then the bell rings to start class for the last 50 minutes.

I never heard a college/ university teacher or professor to mention toilet restriction, etc.  I saw a few students while I was in university get up and leave and come back, but it was rare. Nothing was said that the class could hear and the students were not asked to stay after class for just a moment!

I am a retired teacher.  I taught sixth grade for 20 plus years. I did not have a single student wet or poo pants in class that entire time. I did not have a student vomit in class either.  At the same time, there were a very few wetting accidents in other six grade rooms, usually in first year to teach teacher's rooms.

It is important to go over procedures and what to do and when for each situation thoroughly the first day and review as needed.

I taught fine arts k-12 for a small school district my last three years before retirement. I had one 7-12 fine arts class daily and saw k-6 students once a week.  All the classes were for 50 minutes.

The kindergarten teachers  "sent" every student to the restroom just before coming to my 50 minute class. Then they "sent" every student to the restroom as soon as they were back in their classrooms.  Not all used the restroom, I'm sure, but all were sent.

I had very few requests to use the restroom from these five year olds. I had no accidents of any kind over those three years.

By then, I had learned the art of allowing students to go to the restroom when needed in such a way that it was rare for a student to need to go during a 50 minute period in  1-12 classes.

In the event of a student faking a need, creating a disturbance in asking to go, asking every day, etc: There are much better strategies than just saying no.  Give negative consequences for the actions that the teacher has determined those students have done if deserved.  

I had students come to me, wait for permission to speak, and then tell me privately about their need.  Having students raise hand and then announce to the class their need often causes disruption that has to be undone!

Then I gave blanket yeses to requests the first time or if it had been a long time since that student had asked.  When I student began to ask routinely, there was time to talk privately.  Often all that was needed to to ask the student to take a precautionary pee when all the class were allowed to take a restroom break before the particular 50 minute class.

That usually did the trick. Some students only consider if they feel a need to go right then and don't consider when the next scheduled break will be. This is a skill.  It needs to be taught in a positive manner. 

Sometimes I learned that the student had a certain problem.  Eating certain foods caused them to have to go soon after eating, etc.  

Checking with other teachers, nurse, counselor, principal, etc usually will verify that there may be reasonable reasons for a student to need to go during class.  A smaller boy may deal with bullies in the restroom. Some students are pee shy.  They can't pee in front of others until the bladder is 101 % full which will result in a complete automatic draining of the bladder resulting in much pain and sometimes full wetting accidents. There are multiple situations that can be checked. 

Best if the teacher has the trust of the student so the student will explain and make it easier to sort out true problems.

I didn't contact parents if it wasn't really necessary as some students might get into trouble for "causing" trouble at school and the students were really innocent.  

The students most likely to have true discipline issues over bladder needs often had parents that weren't supportive of the school.   I tried to make sure all ducks were in a row before contacting parents in the younger years.

The problem is often middle and high schools where there is a passing time every hour.  Students are suppose to go to locker and restroom during passing times.  Often there is barely enough time to get from one class on one side of the campus to a class on the other side.

Schools often want to put all the math teachers together. Same for science, social studies and English.  That means a long passing route every passing time!

Some state departments require a minimum number of minutes per lesson or per day.  Passing time can't be counted.

One solution for this is to have students come to class and put materials on desk. Now they aren't tardy!  Then go to restroom and lockers.  As long as  a student isn't found guilty of "dawdling" the students are fine.  

Teachers are told to not act in negative ways to students returning from taking care of needs if they are punctual.  Teachers should be instructed to be positive in students taking care of their needs during this time.

Even small schools have several administrators and all!  Let them patrol the hallways for the dawdlers.  Many schools have cameras that move from one location to another rapidly or show several areas at one time.  One person would eventually catch the veteran dawdler just looking at the screen every day!

Then some of those minutes using the restroom can be counted as part of instruction time.  Homework ideally should be writing vocabulary words, answering questions at end of chapter in social studies and science or review problems, skills in English and math.  The next day's review homework can be assigned and written on the board at the beginning of class.  

Some the faster students will have finished all or most of the assignment by the time all are back in seats ready to learn.

I would rather have a student take an extra two minutes due to stomach upset, etc than to come to class and have to leave in the middle of my main part of the lesson; the part that really, really has to be there for the lesson to be learned.

Some students wet the bed until age 15.  Doctors know that some students just don't follow the same growth and development that other students follow. There are five year olds that don't use the school toilets nor have accidents.  Then there are some high school students that do fine going every hour, but have real problems holding it for two hours and sometimes can't do it.  Most severe cases of bodily fluid issues are documented.  But not all, not at any age! 

Girls in middle school need to learn how to deal with Aunt Flow.  I am a male, but I do understand that Aunt Flow can be mean and totally unreliable to give fair warnings at any age.

It really upsets me when I read or hear especially of middle schoolers wetting or soiling pants in class when they have asked and were told no, sometimes several times.

I know that if all students were given a positive chance to use the restroom every hour if needed, the very vast majority of needs to leave class would be solved without students becoming desperate or have accidents.

Of the remaining cases, there is often a sign or documentation  to show that the student should not be told no to a restroom request.

Many students with medical issues are documented in the nurses' office.  Often, a student is turning green from a tummy upset. 

I have sent students to the restroom because I could tell that they were not feeling well.  Several times, those students denied that they were feeling sick.  I suggested that they walk to the restroom, go if needed and then back to the room and get some fresh air.   Several times the student vomited before they could even get to the restroom.

In some instances Female teachers can take advantage of some of the male teachers and coaches to talk to boys with apparent problems.  Same with male teachers, there usually will be several female teachers who will do well handling a discussion.  

Then there is common sense.    

It is a case of the teacher being proactive rather an reactive to the needs of students.

Then, that teacher or school won't make it to the national news because of some restroom accident in that teachers' classrooms or those schools.

One major benefit from being proactive like this is the respect level for the students for the teachers and administrators goes up tremendously.  

The number of students who have no respect goes way down.  We can't get that number of students to zero, but why not get it as close to zero as possible for that set of students in our care?   

I would never give an outright denial for a restroom visit especially in ages eleven and above without  going through the steps above.  I also would not institute some stupid rule because my procedure wasn't working with Sally or Billy.  Put the rule just on Sally or Billy.   

I would also have the nurse's and counselor's signature approving of a complete denial of allowing a student to go to the restroom during class.  

A complete denial means that if the student can't wait, the student will have an accident and that is what is suppose to happen.   Therefore I most assuredly would have the signature of the parents of students who are minors  that they have read this rule for their child and a list of reasons given why such a rule has to be implemented.

I would rather require a student to have to wait until an approved employee takes the student to the restroom, checks to make sure that there is no damage etc first. Let student use the restroom and then check to see if any damage was done in extreme cases.  I would want parent signatures for that as well.

In 28 years, I never had anything close to this happen.   I had one student when teaching fifth grade that wet pants, but he had a bladder issue. He asked. I told him yes.  He just didn't make it to the toilet in time.  His mother said that he had that problem often even when inside the house.  He just couldn't make it.  Fortunately, he knew to go to the office instead of back to my room so he didn't have to face his classmates in wet pants.

Use common sense.  Be sure all who need to go can go every hour like the big kids in college/university do.  Watch wetting in class become  a non problem except for students with developmental, physical or emotional problems which can't be helped.                                               .                 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a teacher I do not allow toilet breaks during class. Growing up did you ever have teachers who had the same rules? Staff edit: User was warned for this post

Excuse me but what the Hell? I went through your profile and this seems to be the only thing you talk about, how you misuse your authority as an educator.   I hope you're not speaking the tr

Twelve posts on the forum all about this. I don't know whether or not this is a fantasy you are playing out or if you actually are a teacher. If it is the latter then I am kind of creeped out. Reading

I must confess I came to this thread half way through, and without noticing the Original Poster's question and statement.

To use anybody ESPECIALLY   children for your own pleasure sexual or otherwise is reprehensible, vile and disgusting. How anyone can do that is beyond not only me but any decent human being.

If I knew who you were I would report you to the appropriate agency and hope you were not only fired but lose your teaching license. 

I regret ever posting my experience in this thread knowing you might get off on it. I am sure others think the same.

To prevent any further such inadvertent contributions to  this thread I hope admin locks it and ban lucyr23 from this site.

Note to self : Read the OP before responding in case it was proposed by a sick mind.like lucyr23.

up

On 6/27/2017 at 6:38 AM, wettingman said:

I must confess I came to this thread half way through, and without noticing the Original Poster's question and statement.

To use anybody ESPECIALLY   children for your own pleasure sexual or otherwise is reprehensible, vile and disgusting. How anyone can do that is beyond not only me but any decent human being.

If I knew who you were I would report you to the appropriate agency and hope you were not only fired but lose your teaching license. 

I regret ever posting my experience in this thread knowing you might get off on it. I am sure others think the same.

To prevent any further such inadvertent contributions to  this thread I hope admin locks it and ban lucyr23 from this site.

Note to self : Read the OP before responding in case it was proposed by a sick mind.like lucyr23.

Well said!  Thanks for speaking out. I think you made a stronger point than I did with my detailed professional strategies to handle restroom needs appropriately.

Guest OmorashiBosnia

We had a science (physics) teacher at the elementary school who didn't allow our friend to go to the toilet before the end of the class. He obviously felt very uneasy and had to use the bathroom, but the teacher said no! (I never really liked that teacher, to be honest, although I never talk bad things about them and I was always somehow a teacher's pet.) Anyway, this boy, who I used to have a crush on, could barely wait. Another friend of ours told him to stand in the corner and do it, and we would close our eyes. Well, the teacher eventually did let our poor friend go to the bathroom, but just the thought of seeing my crush pee was so arousing! I still don't know why I had this feeling.

There was also a geography teacher in our secondary/high school who once mentioned to us how he peed on his blanket and covered himself with it, so he could be warm on a frosty night during the war in Bosnia. It aroused me even more! (That teacher is my relative and now happily married. I always smile when I see him. He was one of my favorite teachers in high school, and I was his favorite student.)

Me? Well, I did have an accident in elementary school, in my first grade, when my mom made me wear jeans, but I wasn't exactly sure how to unbotton them, and then there was a pretty unpleasant episode. But it happened very long ago, so it very rarely crosses my mind nowadays.

• 1 month later...

This thread scares me. Unbelievable. I hope admins lock it or remove it. (It's generating a lot of posts like "when I was a kid" or "I had a teacher that..." and this was exactly what OP wanted.)

-------------

Every student (and every person in general) should have free unrestricted access to the bathroom, at any time, even during classes, without any further rule. It's called BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS and I strongly believe that NO ONE can deny the permission to use the toilet, under any circumstance.

Peeing is an instinct, it's a very basic need. And sometimes you go to the toilet because you feel sad, or because you have other things to take care of -like menstruation- and it's inhumane to deny such permissions. You have the right to feel sad and have some space for yourself, and the bathroom is the right place.

-------------

If the students want to skip lessons that's their problem, they'll get bad grades in the tests. But you CAN'T deny such a basic permission, and it's even worse what OP is doing: abusing its authority position, denying a basic permission to kids, for the sake of a fetish. I don't have the words. I hope someone will find out and get OP fired/arrested, license revoked or whatever proceeds (and of course banned from here, unless you want to keep his records as the evidence).

1 hour ago, lenna said:

This thread scares me. Unbelievable. I hope admins lock it or remove it. (It's generating a lot of posts like "when I was a kid" or "I had a teacher that..." and this was exactly what OP wanted.)

-------------

You know what? I agree entirely. We know what the OP does, and why she does it, and what kind of content she's digging for for what reason, which is unacceptable, and honestly this thread should have been locked a long long time ago. Locked.

• The topic was locked