I kinda want to do something different and I was wondering if anyone is interested in what's going on right now. 

Should we attack North Korea right now or should we wait for them to make a move?

I feel that North Korea is going to soon bomb either Japan or South Korea very soon and the u.s is just waiting for the inevitable. I feel that if we catch them off guard and move troops in right now then it could save a bunch of lives in Japan/South Korea. And plus we could even send in a spy and convince the North Korean people to uprise and take the government but that's probably too late. Any thoughts?

You should probably define "we" a bit better, when you say "Should we attack...". I assume you mean the United States.

I don't like the prospect of war, and the North Korean people should not have to suffer because of the choices of our nations' leaders. I feel like Kim Jong Un, at the moment, is like a tiny cub who just learned to roar among a den of fully grown lions. They want to be heard and recognized as a strong nation when, in reality, they have a long way to go.

While they're certainly making a lot of noise, I don't believe in punishing a man for a crime he has not yet committed. The US has its hands in more than enough foreign issues already, and I don't think there's enough cause to declare war on North Korea.

However, I will also fully admit to not being fully informed on the entire situation. If anyone else has more information on matters such as North Korea's relations with its neighbors (I'm most curious what their relationship is with Russia), I would be very grateful to hear it.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, OmoCommando said:

You should probably define "we" a bit better, when you say "Should we attack...". I assume you mean the United States.

I don't like the prospect of war, and the North Korean people should not have to suffer because of the choices of our nations' leaders. I feel like Kim Jong Un, at the moment, is like a tiny cub who just learned to roar among a den of fully grown lions. They want to be heard and recognized as a strong nation when, in reality, they have a long way to go.

While they're certainly making a lot of noise, I don't believe in punishing a man for a crime he has not yet committed. The US has its hands in more than enough foreign issues already, and I don't think there's enough cause to declare war on North Korea.

However, I will also fully admit to not being fully informed on the entire situation. If anyone else has more information on matters such as North Korea's relations with its neighbors (I'm most curious what their relationship is with Russia), I would be very grateful to hear it.

China is still a trading partner with North Korea but according to Fox News they declined an import of coal from North Korea. So overall they don't have any allies except maybe china but they're not too hot with them.

Heres the Fox News report 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/11/china-rejects-north-korean-coal-shipments-opts-for-us-supplies-instead.amp.html

Edited by PrettyNice

Posted (edited)

North Korea is in the strange state of still thinking it's in the height of the cold war, even though China and the US have fairly good relations and the USSR no longer exists. The government of North Korea is more or less focused on making North Korea look good to the outside world, which is why there are whole parts of the country designed to look good while being completely non-functional, including a number of cities (mostly on the North-south border) and the Pyongyang hotel. The government seems to treat internal affairs as secondary issues, resulting in famines, poor infrastructure, low development and general system failures, while it puts all it's effort into looking fancy for the outside. This almost total focus on propaganda started as an attempt to make communism look appealing to the world, though now it's become something of a joke for foreigners.

When deciding to declare war on another nation however, one would have to take many aspects into account, particularly justification for the war and the potential losses the war could result in. While North Korea is a human rights nightmare, it doesn't pose a direct threat to the US and isn't negatively affecting the US in any major manner. Going to war unprovoked would be unjustified. It is also possible that a war with North Korea would have China supporting them, though if I remember rightly China has said it might refuse to aid the nation recently. North Korea's threats of attack should be taken with a pinch of salt or two, given that their previous threats have been empty boasts and nonsense.

If there was a war and the current leadership was deposed, then there'd be the issue of finding a successor. North Korean propaganda efforts would rule out any historically capitalist country (such as Japan, South Korea, most of the west) as the people would likely riot. Martial law would be too expensive for any country to realistically impose if they did take over. I would have thought that China would be the only suitable country, but then again China would have no reason to invade, and anyone who would invade would not give the nation to China.

It's far too late now to do anything about North Korea but wait for them to do something stupid. Starting a war would be unjustified and would come with too many complications. North Korea knows this. North Korea also knows that if they start a war they will get nuked right back to the stone age, so North Korea won't start a war. It's just going to sit there, screeching at anyone who looks at it funny.

2 hours ago, OmoCommando said:

Russia doesn't really care for North Korea. In the early '50s when Stalin was still alive, the Soviet Union was always reluctant to involve itself with China and Mao's government, only paying lip-services to the global communism idea - They cared even less about Korea: In the Korean war, the USSR loaned (Loaned, they didn't give it, they wanted to be paid) a bunch of fighter jets and cheap, obsolete hardware to China (Not North Korea). When Stalin died and Khrushchev replaced him, the USSR and China fell out of favour with each other, and with North Korea being so close to China (politically) it meant the USSR didn't give a toss about them. China is the only country that still humours North Korea, and even China looks like it's getting sick of their shit.

The buildings in the foreground and the pyramid at the back (Pyongyang Hotel) are all empty iirc

IMG_3705.thumb.JPG.d9da9db8e72c049c40decdcb3db300e1.JPG

IMG_0882.thumb.JPG.a704131a7035f3717c4f2b081e3afe56.JPG

Edited by Dimwitrolo

Technically, North Korea is still at war with South Korea. If they are to end the armistice and attack Seoul, this would be hugely problematic for South Korea, but would provide an opportunity for the United States to play world police, and provide the Trump administration, specifically Steve Bannon, with the war he is likely hungering for

I would support attacking them, as North Korea is the physical manifestation of "provoking" and "dangerous," but we run into the issue of how to fix their maddeningly awful "Communist" regime. Who takes control? I highly doubt they could maintain a democracy democratic government, and God knows it would just be fucking Cuba all over again. Then there is the issue of China, which I highly doubt would want to go to trade war with us, despite how strong their leader acts in front of his people. But there is a chance he would--or, would at the very least make things difficult for us.

In all likeliness, we won't engage, or Congress will at least not let it happen. Trump could force it, but I HIGHLY doubt he will, as this would cement him as a Truman level monster, rather than the hero role he is pursuing. NK attacking SK is the most likely chance of us going to war with them, as we are obligated to defend our allies, and China would probably stay mostly out of that insanity. As mentioned above, North Korea has burned their only real ally more than once, and China is getting sick of it.

Wouldn't nuking North Korea back to the stone age require they be more than stone age in their level of technology? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the only taste the North Koreans get of modern technology is what gets smuggled into the country.

That said, I say we leave North Korea alone and hope the government collapses under it's own weight before it achieves any kind of viable threat level, or the smugglers efforts to distribute enough contraband to the North Korean people to lead to revolution bares fruit. The US has stuck it's nose where it doesn't belong umpteen too many times(getting involved in Korea's civil war, which as mentioned above has gone cold but never ended just being one incident on the long list) already.

Also, can we get this thread renamed to something less vague?

On 12.04.2017 at 4:11 AM, PrettyNice said:

I feel that North Korea is going to soon bomb either Japan or South Korea very soon and the u.s is just waiting for the inevitable. I feel that if we catch them off guard and move troops in right now then it could save a bunch of lives in Japan/South Korea.

Donald Trump Syria Colin Powell Iraq Speech.jpg

qACBbyU.jpg

Well, well, well, boys and girls, what did we learn this week?

If you don't have nukes, you should get them ASAP.

If you don't have nukes, you will get bombed whenever someone who has them feels like it - even it they don't have a reason to do that, they will come up with one. We've seen that in Syria.

If you do have nukes, or even if you MAAAYBE, in THEEEORY may have nukes, even if you don't have any viable methods of delivery, you're safe. We've seen that in North Korea.

So go get nukes. The humanity didn't change, so it's safer that way.

Compared to the last week, this one was quite uneventful, but at least one of those OSCE thingies finally went boom. Poor, poor little thingie. It's probably the work of an enemy stand russian hackers on steroids.

Finally