Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Talking about sex publically. Should it be Taboo?

So...I had this conversation with my family recently, and it made me think (which is dangerous I know).

Way back in the dark ages, talking about sex in public, or even at all, was frowned upon. People were expected to keep their sex lives private, and men/women who talked openly about their intimate relations were seen as shameless harlots.

So this is what has piqued my curiosity. As we're now in the 21st century, and things are a lot more relaxed than when they were back then...

Should talking about sex in public be taboo, or should it be encouraged between friends & family?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't consider sex taboo, but I do consider it private. Basically, I think there's nothing wrong about discussing sex, but I think anyone who loudly talks about their latest sexual conquests in public is annoying. I remember back when I used to work retail two of my co-workers decided to start talking about their sex lives and boyfriends in explicit detail and it was so awkward because it was all shit that I neither cared about nor needed to know.

To put it more simply: There's nothing wrong with talking about pooping, it's a totally natural thing. But for the love of god, I don't need to hear about every stranger's latest bowel movements. Same thing goes for sex.

Edited by Ir2 (see edit history)

Like many conversation topics, I believe there is a time and a place for it. Like the above user said, because of the deeply personal nature of the topic, you probably wouldn't bring it up with someone you didn't know or trust to a fair degree.

The way I see it, as long as all adults involved consent to discussion of the topic, there's no issue to be had.

So I'm not going to say whether it should be or shouldn't be. But I will say this:

The more we restrict one topic, the less we'll hear of others. 

So if we can't talk about sex because it makes certain people uncomfortable, it stands to reason that this social censorship could move further in on other topics. For instance, piss/omorashi/bathroom habits in general. Just something to consider.

I feel personally that there's a 'yes and no' answer for me here.

Yes It should be taboo: I think that we should keep some amount of restriction on our mouths when it comes to sex simply because I couldn't imagine having to hear EVERYONE's latest conquest and I think that at best I'd get an awkward boner and at worst I'd be like "WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME?"

No It shouldn't be taboo: I think though that we should be able to be more open in general about sexuality as just a way to be sex positive. Parents need to be able to get over the awkwardness to be able to talk properly with their kids about sex, people in general should be taught it's not disgusting that they feel way X or Y. (whether that be sexuality, kink, or something else entirely), and friends should be able to talk about sexual topics without fear.

Basically, I think we should generally work towards being more comfortable with sex and sexuality in general but not get to a point where you can proclaim without any secrecy about your sex life because that's the line of 'uncomfortable' that actually matters...

• 1 month later...

I feel sex is treated too Taboo. The were mention of it can make some people think less of you for it. However, I don't think it should be treated as such. As Ir2 said, it's annoying if you talk about it too much, as is anything. Remember, everything in moderation. But talking about sex shouldn't be considered Taboo. Again, as Ir2 said, it's completely natural, just as natural as pooping. In a shellnut, it's 21st century guys so stop acting like you've never had sex before, but don't brag about your sexual conquest like you're fucking Kanye.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I agree with Frank about it. "Who?" I hear you ask, Frank is an organisation about preventing drug abuse, their core motto is "Drugs are illegal, talking about them isn't".

ebc43e1f04519dca9c9a214800892839.jpg

Essentially, I think that you should not have sexual intercourse or sexual contact on daytime television or in public places, but you can discuss the subject freely anywhere as long as there aren't children around. Prepare, however, to be judged harshly for what you say about yourself because that's how us pink, yellow and brown flesh buckets work.

Edited by Pc Genie
Added pretty picture. (see edit history)

So long as the time and place are appropriate I don't see any reason for an absolute ban on discussion of sex in public.  What I would like to see though is a total ban on foul language in public.  I have a particular hatred of hearing bad language in public and what really raises my hackles is when I hear people contaminating public space by using that word which rhymes with cooking!

Occasionally I spend some time with Special Needs teenagers aged 16-20. They talk freely about their boyfriends or girlfriends, but never about sex itself. I agree with them. It 's private, unless I'm in the company of people like the posters here. It's refreshing to be able to discuss sexual matters openly, but you do need to choose your company. Even here, I won't go into all the details.

• 1 month later...

Working in a pub I find this topic interesting. Sex as a subject I have no issue with. It can be quite fun to engage in casual talk about sex and quite often I hear customers doing so. I do however do not enjoy hearing about personal things in public. I sometimes chat to my girlfriends about sex things and talk on a personal level but we do that in private at home. I dislike when people talk openly in public about their personal sex lives. Like somebody saying they had sex the previous night would be fine. Them going in to detail would not be fine. 

Guest tholepin

Talking about sex, having sex, wetting and "special" things you and friends do is fine at home. Parents "make out" at home, leave the bedroom door ajar while having sex, family members routinely walk around in bra & panties or briefs at times while at home,  even at sleepovers, so I'm told. My wife and I indulge in each other's pleasures. Family is love!  

But not at Howard Johnson's or Target. True, not many folk want to know the volume and consistency of their co-worker's morning BM, but who would refuse giving grandma a shoulder to lean on in the garden while she empties her shoe? 

I live in a three story house with my fiancé @Zest and our best mates.

We openly talk about sex in the house (and sometimes unfortunately hear it if it's quiet and the friends have any ladies around haha) 

I think in public is alright so long as it's the right time and place. IE. I don't want to hear about your adventures when I'm eating, or if we're around kids or whatever.

Online it's down to preference I guess. It's to be expected on a fetish forum, and I have a private (locked) twitter with friends on similar accounts where we rant and talk about lewd stuff too.

I think it's a bit silly how taboo it is, because being open about it doesn't mean anything bad. You can be in a closed relationship and be able to freely talk about it.

I wouldn't want strangers around me hear about my sex life. I think the best thing about sex is that it's a little secret between two people that bonds them together. If it becomes some everyday topic you can talk everyone about it loses that "magic" (It's different on the internet though, since most of us are anonymous).