The curse of the eastern isle

Recommended Posts

>Accept the gypsy's offer:The silver shards for fifty gold,and an an exotic item of your choosing in exchange for a favor 

Im courious to what the item is that is of great value to the gypsy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm voting to decline the offer.

 

Here's why [tl;dr what are the consequences of accepting?]:

The things to consider here is how will this affect our current goals? If we accept, will it interfere with the current objective?

The only object that I see as worthwhile is the potion that halts the body's natural processes. We know that the Demon Gaze ability drains energy, so it could come In handy if any magic is going to be used.

Other than that, the fact that some of the cursed, black magic items don't sit well with me without knowing the rules of magic in this world. The dagger for example, when it comes back to you does it appear back in your hand or will it physically fly back to you? If stolen or gifted to someone will it still be imprinted upon you?

Will the merchant hex or curse us in return for not getting her possession back? How will we even know where to look? she said it was lost in the forest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggest a deal: We will do her request, if it comes along our way and wont be a risk to our mission.

If we won't manage to finish her request, we will return the item we choose after we return. (As long as we still have it - if it is a potion: Bad luck for the gypsy.)

She has to trust us - she wants us to clear the undead, doesn't she?

 

If she doesn't like the deal: Just buy the silver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accept the offer because if it goes wrong it should be at the least entertaining!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to have to vote that we decline. Pay for the shards and leave.

 

Reasoning:

Too many unknowns. - We don't know specifically what was lost, it could and probably will make things even more dangerous for us, what if we take her offer and she gives us an item and then we fail in returning whatever it is she wants us to find and bring back...and also the unknowns of how it will affect our relationships and current objectives (failure to complete our contract, bringing something back that attracts attention to town as a result of this detour for the gypsy, bringing back something cursed, etc)

There's also the question of do we want something from her - most items seem to be of cursed, black magic type deals...us suddenly getting some new gear of that sort might cause people to question who we really are and affect our relationships with the townspeople and the clerics/paladins. (As a reminder, we're kind of trying to lay low as to who we really are....) Plus the obvious potential problem of owning something with an unknown curse.

And, for the final argument...the odds of this actually being a deal is pretty slim. Odds are whatever she lost is a lot more valuable than anything she's offering to "give" us. Or there's some other catch.

(Sidenote: I'm not really a fan of making any deal with this gypsy that has any potential to go wrong. I get the impression that it would end up being "bad luck" for us. That said, if we had the time to shop around, I probably would. Odds are someone else or multiple someone else's also have silver...I just sort of am wondering if we're being sold what we actually want at way more than it's worth while having something "free" dangled in front of us that's also a bad deal, from a merchant trying to take advantage of us twice in one transaction.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, you know what, this looks sketch as hell. I say decline.

Edited by DonnyWotty
Changed my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My vote would be to accept. If the potion can do what is described, then it could potentially save someone who is critically injured, until they can receive proper healing. IMO that is too valuable to decline. If the potion does not work when the intended user, is poisoned, suffering from massive blood loss or cursed, then my vote would be to decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you're in a big cursed island and there's an old gypsy lady who gives off bad mojo offering you her shady trinkets, taking the deal doesn't sound like a good idea. I vote decline and just buy the silver, simply due to how sketchy this lady is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

You take fifty gold from your purse and sit it down on the table beside the gypsy. “I know better than to do a favour for a gypsy, regardless of the reward.” You push the coins closer to her. “Fifty for the shards, and for nothing else.” You stare, letting your stern gaze show that your business ends after this purchase.

 

With a twisted look of disappointment, the old gypsy rakes in the coins with her long, bony fingers. “Then our business is concluded.” She hisses, waving you away.

 

You take the small tattered bag of silver shards and leave, taking a final glance at the line of exotic weapons, knowing all you could do was look. There were some useful items among her wares, but would they be worth deviating from your contract for?  You shake your head. Probably not. No favour for a gypsy was ever so straightforward, they were a thieving, illusive band of people who always hid something in the shadows. You were smarter than that, you’d made this mistake before. You brush aside the curtain, walk through the camp of travelers and head back out into the town.

 

Upon leaving the small community of caravans, you look around the town once more. It’s started snowing, a few small flakes land on your shoulders. It's grown colder too, but the sun still shines, giving the town a golden glow amidst the blanket of white. You clutch the tattered sack in your hands. You had the silver shards for making a silverlight lantern, now you needed an alchemy station… and some oil. You glance over to the Farmhouse by the gate, noticing smoke rising from the chimney. Alexandr and his family would be having breakfast about now. You had pondered visiting the farmhouse, at the very least spending some time with Alexandr and Nika before leaving for the Shadia forest. Your refuge in there on nights when you were on tower duty had grown to be the best parts of your time here. Now would be a good time, you could see them and inquire about using Nika's alchemy lab while you were there. Right now, that was the best idea. You brush the snow from your shoulders and head off through the town, toward the farmhouse.

 

Walking up the old pathway, heavy snow crunching beneath the weight of your boots, you spy a set of old pale eyes beyond the window, watching you make your way to the door. The old woman was always there, watching, waiting, making judgement of every step taken in this town. Through the window it looks cozy in the farmhouse, a golden glow beams from inside as you can hear the scraping of bowls behind the door. Hearing those noises reminds you again that you haven't eaten this morning. What you wouldn't give from some breakfast; you could of eaten if you hadn't waited for Karlien to finish in the commode. The sooner you're done here, the sooner you could head back to the inn for some breakfast. You can only hope Yura has some stew left in the pot. Feeding the whole town often came with a first come, first serve policy.

 

You knock, tapping your fist against the door. “It’s open!” Alexandr calls. “Let yourself in!” With a shrug of your shoulders you let yourself, entering the cozy confines of the farmhouse, the first thing that hits you, is the heat of the fire warming your cold skin.

 

It’s a quiet morning in the farmhouse. Alexandr and his family are all gathered in the dining room beside the warmth of a roaring fire, eating breakfast. They do not lack for food, even if it is the simplest of supplies; a spread of butters, bread, and apples sit on the table, welcome for anybody to help themselves. The warm air has the welcoming smell of spices and stew from a bubbling pot over the fire, tended to by Alexandr's cousin Peter. The room glimmers as sunlight streaks in from the frosted windows, showing a small shower of dust floating through the air.

 

For a family, they do not have much to say with one another. Everybody looks to be in their own world, as if the others do not exist. At the table, Nika sits, her hair covering her face as she sips from a bowl of stew, scribbling in a small notepad by her side. Peter sits by the fire, prodding it with a small steel poker, stopping only to warm his hands against the flames. The boy looks busy tending to his own work, he doesn't even look up to see who has entered. Alexandr is sat beside Tomas, surrounded by towels and wraps most covered in oil. He sips from a small tin cup, watching as Tomas fumbles with something in his hands, sighing and judging with every movement his younger cousin makes.

 

“No, no… like… let me do it, Tomas.” Alexandr takes the parts of his rifle and assembles it himself. “Like this.” He shakes his head, holding the rifle and showing Tomas how it should look. “Eat your breakfast. Let me finish it.” He shakes his head feebly and goes to work with a second rifle.

 

“Alexandr, do not be so harsh with your cousin.” His Grandma orders him. “We did not all leave here to join the military, did we?” She jabs passively. “Some of us chose to stay with our family.”

 

Nika looks up from her breakfast “G-Grandma-ma, d-don’t s-start w-with t-this, pl-please.” She pleads.

 

Alexandr chuckles at his little sister. “Do not worry, Nika. Finish your stew. You don’t want to end up like Peter, do you?” He gestures to the skinny boy poking at the fireplace, before looking up at you with a morning smile. “Good morning, Franziska. Come in, out of the cold. I'm sorry I didn't greet you sooner, I'm busy with something. What brings you here?”

 

You take a few nervous steps towards the fire; the warmth comforts you. “Thank you.” You nod your head kindly. You feel strange as the whole family looks up at you, watching your every step. The cousins never spoke a word to you, they would simply stare while Alexandr spoke, as did the old lady, though there was an air of hostility in how she looked at you. “I, uh, was hoping to speak to Nika.” You ask quietly.

 

The young girl turns on her chair. “Ha, s-sure.” she stutters, but with a smile on her face. “P-please s-sit d-down.” She pulls out a chair from beneath the table and offers it to you. “H-Have y-y-you ha-had breakfast y-yet?”

 

“Not yet, I’ve been busy this morning. I’m fine anyway.” An understatement, your belly felt as empty as the void, but you didn’t want to impose on the family and help yourself. “I’ll get something off Yura later.” You pull up a chair and sit at the table, the smell of vegetable stew makes your belly growl, taunting you with its aroma. The plump red apples call to you, pleading for you to take a bite. “Do you mind if I…?” You gesture to an apple, getting an approving nod from Nika, who smiles. “Thank you.” You grab an apple and bite into it. It’s delightfully sweet, and juicy. “I need to make use of your alchemy station.” You rest the bag of silver shards on the table. “I… was also wondering if you had any oil to spare.” For that, you look to Alexandr, who glances up from his breakfast, pondering for a moment.

 

After the moment passes, he prods his cousin with his boot. “Peter, are you just going to poke that fire all morning?” The young skinny boy looks up at him, looking lost. “You’ve eaten your breakfast, da?” Peter nods. “Good, then make yourself useful.” Alexandr grabs a cloak from the desk behind him and chucks it at him. “Go over to the inn and get two bottles of oil from Yura.” He looks across the table toward you. “Two is good, da?” You nod. “Two bottles of oil.” He confirms.

 

Peter throws on his cloak and without speaking, rushes out of the house. He was the younger of the two cousins and was quick to follow Alexandr's orders without question. You had seen that plenty of times over the past few days.

 

You realize you hadn’t given Nika even a moment to speak before you were speaking to Alexandr. The young girl must've felt ignored, especially since you had come looking for her, only to end up dealing with Alexandr. She’s back eating her stew as if the conversation never involved her. “I’m sorry, Nika.” You smile. “I should’ve let you answer before continuing. Do you mind?”

 

She drops her spoon, rustles her hair and shakes her head. “O-Of c-course not.” She smiles back before lowering her head, kicking her feet as she does. “Bu-but, I n-need to s-start the b-burners.” She finishes the last spoonful of stew, hops down from her chair and brushes the crumbs of bread from her white skirt. “B-Big B-Brother, m-may I b-be ex-excused p-please?” She hops down from her chair and brushes the crumbs of bread from her white skirt.

 

“Of course.” Alexandr nods his head.

 

“Hold on, child.” You hear the decrepit voice of their Grandma call for Nika, freezing the young girl solid. “If you’re going off to be with your alchemy, who’s going to clean up this mess?” Her wrinkled, pale eyes pierce the young girl.

 

“She has more important things to deal with, Grandma.” Alexandr gestures for Nika to leave, nudging his head in the direction of the hallway. “I’ll deal with it. Tomas, you can make yourself useful too.” He smirks. “Go draw some water from the well.” He encourages the fat, boil-faced boy onto his feet. "When you get back put the other pot over the fire and fill it. I'll clean up the dishe." He stands up and presses the rifle into his cousin's hands. "You can take tower duty this morning."

 

Tomas holds the rifle in his hands for a moment, his boil-ridden face staring blankly at the weapon in his hands before he finally nods his head. He slings the rifle over his shoulder, grabs a cloak from the door and retreats into the small nook behind the dining room, returning with a wooden bucket. He wraps the cloak around himself and waddles out of the house; through the frosted windows you watch him walk out into the street. “They never have a moment for themselves, do they?” You comment to Alexandr, noting how often the Cousins are doing work for him.

 

He scoffs. “It was the same for me when I was their age. Worse when I was in the army. It’s good for them, toughens them up.” He tears a piece from the bread on his plate and turns to warm his hands by the fire. “It must’ve been the same when you were younger, da?”

 

The old woman stares at you curiously; a reminder that you weren’t to discuss anything about your past with the Selkava. “I’d say I had it worse.” You remember long nights patrolling the fortress, scrubbing the privies, and doing every arduous task, all under the guise of making you a stronger fighter. Looking back on, it was just forced labour. “At least they get a bed and some breakfast.”

 

Nika scampers back into the room. You notice she’s wearing an apron and her hair is tied back behind her ears. “I-It wi-will be a f-few m-minutes.” She sits down at the table beside you and tears off a piece of bread. Before she takes a bite, she stops herself and looks up to her older brother. “H-How much s-stew is l-left, B-Big Br-Brother?” She asks.

 

He leans over and looks into the pot. “There’s still plenty left.” He replies with a shrug of his shoulders.

 

“Ha, g-good.” Nika takes a bowl from the middle of the table and rushes over to the pot over the fire. “F-Fra-Franziska, j-join us for b-breakfast.” Nika insists, the sunlight reflecting off her smile.

 

“Oh, no I couldn’t.” You chuckle politely. “There’s no need to worry about me Nika.”

 

“P-Please, we i-insist.” Already she is pouring you a cup of tea from a small kettle beside the bowl. “D-Don’t we? B-Big Br-Brother?” She stares at her big brother, who doesn’t even notice. He continues tinkering with his rifle until Nika repeats herself.

 

After she does, Alexandr glances up, his eyes darting between Nika and yourself as he tries to understand. “Oh, of course! Please.” He jumbles his words until he puts a sentence together. “Join us. We're welcome to have you." He beckons to the food spread out on the table.


What do you wish to do?

 

>Accept and have breakfast.

 

>Decline and wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we're hungry, not guaranteed to get something from the inn, it's being offered, and we probably don't have to worry about the grumpy old lady being a demon witch who'll curse us or something. I say accept and have breakfast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.