Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Disaster at HD Wetting / HD Diapers

Be careful who you trust, especially who you give your wifi passwords to and allow access to your devices.

I'm not typically a paranoid person, but that might change.  I can't go into too much detail right now, and probably won't be able to share the full story for another 6-9 months, but recent events have been absolutely catastrophic to HD Wetting and HD Diapers.  We have lost all of our computers, including tablets and laptops, and all of our backups.

Before this catastrophe struck, we had about two months of (what I felt) was some of the best material we have produced yet, to be released over the course of December and January.  Now, all that data is gone.  We have been doing everything possible to get back up and running.  Over the past few days I have built a new computer, so again I will be able to edit videos and update the sites.  A lot of the contact information for the models was lost, but I was able to recover some of it by digging through my paper records and have contacted them.  We will be doing a shoot as soon as possible and get back to our regular update schedule.

Guest tholepin

I'm very sorry to hear your terrible news. As bad as it is, it is made worse by treachery. I hope you are able to to regain your sense of trust and continue on your creative path. Peace.

I'm really sorry about that. I can't think of much more to add to what others have said in their responses so far. I imagine that in addition to being angry and busy trying to recover, you have lots of other thoughts rushing through your mind too (I know I would). Perhaps you are even reproaching yourself for having trusted someone and for letting this happen. Well don't! Yes we must learn from experience, and sadly sometimes experience teaches us we need to be less trusting, but remember that hindsight is 100, but you didn't know this would happen, and speaking for myself at least, I would rather have erred on the side of being too open and "good" than the alternative. In a world where nobody trusted anybody ever, perhaps this wouldn't have happened but I wouldn't want to live in such a world so screw that. You just did what you thought was best and sometimes shit happens. Actually I think there is nothing you've done that you can't do again, so you can build yourself right up again if you so choose and I hope you will. The second time round may be even better. I've seen your progress since you started posting those first vids on the old boards and asking us for our thoughts. "Too close up" was one comment, which I agreed with. You explained you wanted to start a business and some were not kind to you for that, but you patiently defended yourself. I remember thinking at first that your name meant you were a transvestite. For what it's worth, some people will have downloaded the videos you've put in circulation and you can no doubt get much of that back, with time and people's good will. I know that's a small consolation now, but hey, you've done all of this before and you know how to do it again. If it's support you need, you're in the right place here. Heartfelt good wishes.

Shutting the stable door after the horse has legged it perhaps but I always tell people - backup, backup, backup. And keep paper records where you can, too.

A terrible loss but I trust with your resourcefulness you can recover, rebuild and continue.

If it's a criminal matter involve the police. 

I hope you haven't lost all your photography and video equipment too. 

15 hours ago, satyr said:

Aw. That's horrible. Shows the importance of online/off-site backups too.

I did have offsite backups.  However, they are no good when a person is set taking them and has access. 

11 hours ago, tholepin said:

I'm very sorry to hear your terrible news. As bad as it is, it is made worse by treachery. I hope you are able to to regain your sense of trust and continue on your creative path. Peace.

Thanks.  Unfortunately, it is going to take a very long time before either my girlfriend or myself will be able to truly feel safe and secure again.  It is painfully obvious now that the safety, security, and privacy that we thought we enjoyed was just our own ignorance.

3 hours ago, WetDave said:

Shutting the stable door after the horse has legged it perhaps but I always tell people - backup, backup, backup. And keep paper records where you can, too.

A terrible loss but I trust with your resourcefulness you can recover, rebuild and continue.

If it's a criminal matter involve the police. 

I hope you haven't lost all your photography and video equipment too. 

I had backups.  I had local backups, and I had backups at a off site location.  I had backups locked in a safe.  I had paper records.  But, I also trusted someone I obviously shouldn't have, and they knew where all the backups and paper records were.

5 hours ago, satyr said:

Hindsight is 20/20 but an online backup with a reputable company and which only you know the password to is a good idea.

The sites and all the data on them were backed up with a reputable company, the sites themselves suffered no down time and are fully operation.  User data is secured through my payment processor, so even I have extremely limited access to that.

The problem is dealing with the RAW, 4K video straight from the camera, unedited.  These are huge files and online backup simply isn't a realistic solution.  The best I can do is local backups, and store additional backups off site.  Which is what I had did.  I think my methods were generally sound, but they simply are no good against a determined adversary who has access.

4 hours ago, XxSpyroFanxX said:

Did you find out who the person was? If so, was it someone else who worked there?

Unfortunately, at this point, I am not at liberty to say.  I'm not even at liberty to provide an explanation for why I can not say.  The situation that caused all this is still very much unresolved, and likely will remain so for several months at least.  However, I do promise that once I am free to do so, I will provide a very complete accounting of exactly what has happened here.

7 hours ago, TVGuy said:

The sites and all the data on them were backed up with a reputable company, the sites themselves suffered no down time and are fully operation.  User data is secured through my payment processor, so even I have extremely limited access to that.

The problem is dealing with the RAW, 4K video straight from the camera, unedited.  These are huge files and online backup simply isn't a realistic solution.  The best I can do is local backups, and store additional backups off site.  Which is what I had did.  I think my methods were generally sound, but they simply are no good against a determined adversary who has access.

I'm not criticizing you, I feel your pain. I'm sure you did the best you could with the resources you had available. It really depends on what kind of network connection you have access to. I'm fortunate enough to live in a country with awesome fiber. If you can get a 150/150 line, you can upload 65 gigs in an hour. With a gigabit line you can upload 450 gigs in an hour. But of course some areas have a shitty monopoly that will throttle you before you can say the word "torrent." Anyway, I would invest in the fastest line you can get and leave the computer running 24/7 if that's what it takes.

But that's just my advice. You seem a bit combative, but I'll assume it's not me you're angry with. I'm on your side. I've lost valuable data too. I had a photo exhibition and now some of the original files are lost, so I got professional large-scale prints but can't make any more, since all I can find (and that's totally on me) is small 1280px versions. The raws are... Somewhere. I don't think they're actually lost, I just can't fucking find them.

I feel your pain. When your whole business is tanked by someone who is a trusted partner - it really is hard to get over. And for those who do not know - it does not matter if you have backups if the person works closely with you. You can have all the proceedures in place to secure your property (physical and other), but if someone is patient and determined, they can access.

For those people who do not know about video:

If you shoot HQ (not to mention HD) video, you will have a lot of media (no matter which format) that cannot effectively be kept in digital format alone over the internet. There isn't time to transfer everything offsite. And I guess that TVGuy does not have an unlimited amount of money to store petabytes (and maybe even extabytes) of video and audio files.

I am sorry that this has happened. We all feel for you and your girlfriend. If I knew how to help, I would.

4 hours ago, satyr said:

I'm not criticizing you, I feel your pain. I'm sure you did the best you could with the resources you had available. It really depends on what kind of network connection you have access to. I'm fortunate enough to live in a country with awesome fiber. If you can get a 150/150 line, you can upload 65 gigs in an hour. With a gigabit line you can upload 450 gigs in an hour. But of course some areas have a shitty monopoly that will throttle you before you can say the word "torrent." Anyway, I would invest in the fastest line you can get and leave the computer running 24/7 if that's what it takes.

But that's just my advice. You seem a bit combative, but I'll assume it's not me you're angry with. I'm on your side. I've lost valuable data too. I had a photo exhibition and now some of the original files are lost, so I got professional large-scale prints but can't make any more, since all I can find (and that's totally on me) is small 1280px versions. The raws are... Somewhere. I don't think they're actually lost, I just can't fucking find them.

I'm sorry if I came across as combative, that was not my intent.  Rather, I simply wanted to provide an explanation to what is going on.  I will admit, it is frustrating, not having the freedom to offer a full explanation right now.