[RPG Maker Pee/Desperation Game] The Twelve Fanatics

Wooow.......a new Rpg game?! It'll be fun 

Oh boy, another game is being done, and still nothing of Aquarius '-'

I liked the protagonist, but the first Boss was a little hard, but it was still very good, I like how there are several endings for the same scene, it seems that the exploration of possibilities will be something very important for you if you want to review all events

GAME HAS BEEN UPDATED TODAY 03/09/2016, Ver. 2.0.1:

Main Update:

• Story continues.
  • Solveig & Lily's face expression added to dialogues.
  • Main events' picture CG's have been added.
  • Title Screen has been added.

Major Changes:

• Map: Added a Circle of Enlightenment (Save Option/Heal Option) to the fifth map in Solveig's introductory scene.
  • Character: Solveig's base MP, MAG and MDF have been increased.
  • Character: Liliana's base HP has been increased.
  • System: Desperation statuses have been added.
  • System: Enhancement System has been introduced (only available in towns).
  • System: Elemental Affinity Purchasing System has been introduced (only available in towns).

Minor changes:

• Status: Poison state's DEF and MDF penalty has been removed.
  • Boss Monster: Giant Spider's experience points yielded have been increased to 500.
  • Boss Monster: Skeleton Frisk's experience points yielded have been increased to 700.
  • Boss Monster: Skeleton Frisk's Base Attack has been decreased to 20 from 23.
  • Boss Monster: Skeleton Frisk's Shadow Slash Skill's attack power has been decreased to 200% from 250%.
  • Inventory Item: Various's description has been modified.

As stated in the opening post, any feedback (including requests) is welcome!

Edited by hikeune

Thanks! Oh, by the way, there was a bug fixing last night, arrangements are as follows:

Bug Fixes and recent patch adjustments:

• System: Fixed the purchasing the item Hunter's Cloak.
  • Game sequence: Fixed scene sequence error after defeating the boss in the Catacombs; adjusted event progression starting from the town.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Base Attack has been decreased to 34 from 38.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Base Defense has been decreased to 32 from 35.

So, since there are three parts of the story out already and some folks at the comments section seem to have hard time with some aspects of the game, I've decided to post some tips. Mechanics will be explained as they appear in game. No plot-related spoilers.

As of version 2.0.2

Part 1: Solveig introduction

- Get a habit of exploring your surroundings, there are useful herbs, chests with gold and items, this stuff makes a difference.

- Get a habit of saving often, every major plot turn. This game offers different choices and you will probably want to try all of them.

- Grind up to level 5-6 before going for the story. Use your special skill V-Slash as much as possible to upgrade its mastery (B will do).

- Save up your healing orbs for the boss battle, they are very useful. Use healing at Naroh/enlightment circles instead.

- There are three desperation event outcomes in this story:

• go before the boss fight;
  • fight the boss and win;
  • fight the boss and lose.

- About the first boss (spider). You don't really have to beat it, this is the only time when losing a fight doesn't mean a game over. However, he drops a mana egg, an item that is used to get new elements (spells). You'll learn why it is so important soon enough.

996134ba6820ae1f6749561d37b38035.png

- The spider itself isn't hard to beat. It will use web, stun, earthquake and pure damage against you. The general idea is spam V-Strike against him, while using healing orbs when your hp is low. They are awesome since they restore mp as well. Interestingly, level 4 Ground Slam skill, while costs 10 mp more, is not effective against it, so don't bother.

Part 2: Liliana introduction

- Same as before, look out for your surroundings. They contain ore (for enchanting your weapons later) and mushrooms (restore hp and mp, something like a weak healing orbs). Mushroom spots regenerate, so visit it several times and get more.

- Grind up to level 8-10 before going for the boss, it is pretty tough. While tedious, this makes the next part of the game much easier.

962d5a852960b73b955a1606a05fe227.png

- A new mechanics come into play - elements. Basically it means which spells you can use, but also leveling up particular element levels your stats (explained in game). You want to level both wind and water to lvl 10 to get more hp, mp, spell damage as well as new spells.

- The boss here is tougher than previous one, failing to kill him means game over, so be careful.

- Notable spells for the boss fight:

• Howlslash (wind 6) - your basic howl, but damages all enemies. Use it as an opener, to kill skeleton's buddies with one shot.
  • Crackle (water 4, wind 5) - an ice missile. While nothing special, the boss is vulnerable to it, so spam it.
  • Don't bother your bow skills, they are nothing special at the moment.
  • Same as previous boss, this one hits hard. You brought mushrooms along, right?

- There is a desperation event after the fight which takes place in the school. The answers to the math magic test affect the scene (with the total of five scenes) you'll get. The answers are provided by the developers (fortunately)

Lily's Exam Correct Answers:

Probably this didn't go as expected. Kinda wanted to mess with your brains a little by doing this "puzzle" mathematically challenging... but I know that most of these topics aren't seen in a regular college program, so if anyone wants to know the correct answers, here they are:

1.  C: 80; E:65
  2. 360; 896
  3. 12x^3 - 4x
  4. 1/2lnx + C
  5. 280~ O
  6. 15/8
  7. (x^-1/2)cosx
  8. dw + (2cosx/sinx)wdx = 0
  9. y = C1x^-1/2sinx + C2x^-1/2cosx

SIDE NOTE:

There are five scenes to get in here. The range for them is as follows:

1. 0~1 Right Answers
  2. 2~3 Right Answers
  3. 4~5 Right Answers
  4. 6~8 Right Answers
  5. Perfect Score

Part 3: Catacombs

- Surroundings. Notable loot includes a revival flower which a soldier on the way to the castle gives you (alternatively you can sell it at the shop for 5000 gold later) and a mithril ore piece (south-eastern part of the castle grounds).

- You get +5 levels for Solveig as well as a free Fire element. This effectively means she will be Liliana's level or a bit above while also means she can start to cast her own spells.

- The village. Talk to the person who meets you there and then save and look around. Lots of new mechanics come into play now, you get two shops - blacksmith's and alchemist's.

- The blacksmith sells weapons and armor while also offers enchanting, which is done for ore. Enchanting improves weapon's attack and magic attack and is the better alternative than buying a seemingly better weapon in the long run. For now, use your ore to enchant one of the starting weapons. I suggest enchanting the bow, since it will give Liliana more damage (as a spellcaster, she is your primary damage dealer before you level Solveig's elements enough). Use your money to stock up on armor, what you're really looking for is Defence. The catacombs will prove that difference between 20 and 40 Defense is huge. You will be able to find an iron shield in the catacombs later, so buy one copper for Liliana for the time being.

- The alchemist is currently away and her daughter fills in. Basically that means you can only buy herbs there and get elements in exchange for mana eggs (you killed that spider, right?). Skip the herbs, by the way, but instead buy the orbs that deal 300% fire damage (3-4 will do). They will help against the boss later. As for the element, I strongly suggest picking Earth for Lily. Because:

• She gets the spell called Digging as soon as she unlocks the element, it boosts your party's Defence and it is stackable! This single spell can make a difference between a long tedious grind and a breeze later. Start every battle with 1-2 Digging and, if you have good armor, damage dealt to you will be negligible.
  • You already have every other element and Solveig has to focus on her Fire element to unlock more powerful spells, this part's monsters (mini vampires and the boss) are particularly vulnerable to fire.

- There is one other nice thing you can't buy, but instead it is a pretty rare drop from the monsters. Those are various cards which give you bonuses, some of them very nice.

524ac10107dc293c1db598cd03c5f89f.pngbb5db8e33a08e346570f737f9f26a193.png

- When you're all set, go to Liliana's house. You will have several options which will influence the events at the catacombs (unlike parts 1 and 2, you won't see the results immideately, so you'll have to play again from the start of the catacombs for another scene):

• Drink plenty & don't go to the bathroom, which leads to some intense desperation and scene one.
  • Drink a little OR Drink plenty & go to the bathroom, which leads to milder desperation and scene two (while you also get the toilet scene).

- The catacombs itself is about survival rather than grinding in the beginning, intense with traps and narrow corridors where you can't escape monsters. Good armor and Digging spell will save you.

- Explore. Much interesting stuff lying around, notable an Iron Shield.

- Grind up to 12+ before facing the boss. Level Solveig's Fire mastery while you're at it.

- To get to the boss you'll have to solve a puzzle, which is as easy as the previous one was hard. Just look for the green switch, others are traps.

- If you did everything right, the boss is a joke. Start with Digging or two (if around level 16 as I was, this might not be needed at all) and then spam the boss with fire (Solveig's fire spells + fire orbs you bought in the village). If you run out of orbs or don't have them, use Liliana's Ethereal Missile (shadow element damages the boss as well). But be careful, it costs hp.

Overall, this game is great

thank you for changing the color of the puddle

can't wait for the best girl..

I have now played through the game once, here's my feedback:

Dialogue:

-Minor dialogue error while Liliana rushes through the guard station during her introductory sequence; Guard says something along the lines of "We still have questions we need to make". (should be "need to ask")

-Minor spelling error in the bottom of catacombs: "It's the tunnel they mentioend! This must be the bottom chamber, then..." (should be "mentioned")

Bosses:

-The Giant spider and Skeleton Frisks are in a good spot right now. The fights feel fair but still not trivially easy.

-The Mercury Glob is a glass cannon. If Solveig has learn her second fire spell you will deal a crapton of damage to it very quickly. But if it defeats one of your party memebers (Stage two it will occasionally one-shot Liliana) you're pretty much screwed. I would recommend decreasing it's offensive potential, and making it a bit more resilient.

Level design:

-The catacombs are a little on the grindy side. This could be mitigated with alternate routes (currently you walk back and forth a lot), since you'd run into the same enemy less that way.

Misc:

-I think some images are displaying incorrectly (they cut off too early).

-The rain doesn't stop when you enter the castle for the first time.

Overall:

I'm quite impressed with where the game is at, currently. The artwork is really, really nice, something that surprized me a lot actually. The card mechanic is fun, and adds some nice rare loot that you're likely to want. Spell mastery is fun too. Looking forward to the next build!

Edited by DerivativeWings

Some notes on skill/combat mechanics, based on my experience so far.

First of all, the elements are key to developing your characters and making them stronger. Leveling each of them increases a particular stat:

• Fire - attack
  • Water - hp
  • Wind - agility
  • Earth - defense

Leveling any of them adds more mp, magic attack and magic defense. A simple conclusion is you want to have everything leveled on every character, because there is no such thing as a useless attribute. However, you are initially limited with your options - Liliana starts with water and wind, Solveig gets fire in the third part of the story. So you have to be strategic about what you're going to develop next. I suggest spending the first available mana egg for Liliana's Earth - not only it allows for an increase in her defense (unlike Solveig, she is really weak in that department), but it also gives her various support skills, first and foremost Digging, which boosts party Defense.

While every element has different kinds of spells, there are also Fusion spells which are gained by leveling several elements to a particular level. Now, since leveling elements is essential in this game and you won't get far without stat bonuses derived from leveling elements, while leveling every of them grants you magic attack each time, you may well come to a conclusion that you want to have 4 magical jack-of-all-trades powerhouses. While this is indeed a good option (tier 2 and 3 element AOE attacks are really good) there is also another option.

Characters' special moves (based ot their weapon of choice) may look like nothing special and you are likely to abandon them as you get your first spells, but:

• There are special moves which get unlocked based on your element levels, presumably better than what you start with.
  • Unlike spells, special moves can critically hit, and 800 crit in the catacombs is the nice thing to have.

Now, according to the developer and my observations, the best choice for making a critical hit machine is Solveig:

• Unlike Liliana, she can equip various accessories. Masquerade, which sometimes drops in the catacombs, adds 10% critical chance.
  • She gets free fire element, leveling which boosts her attack. This means that she is initially better at physical attacks than magic and it makes sence to keep it that way.

However, this path is leveling and gear dependent and will be a real possibility in the future (I currently got to 21% critical chance tops).

One more note about leveling your elements. Different spells give you different kinds of xp. Tier 1 - 2 xp, tier 2 - 4 xp, and tier 3 - 6 xp. However, Solveig's tier 1 fire spell (for example) costs 8 mp while tier 3 - 50 mp. So it may be more efficient to use low tier spells for leveling. There is also a catch about Fusion spells. If you're using a spell which is a combination of several elements, you level all of them at the same time.

I just finished the current content. It was amazing, and I eagerly await more... however, it'd be nice if you could have spent your loot afterwards, instead of it just fading to the title screen.

Solveig Ground smash + Liliana Snooze is crazy O.O

333.jpg

Edited by Mocca

Released a new patched version (2.0.3)! Details on this patch are as follows:

Bug Fixes and recent patch adjustments:

• System-Audio: Changed the SFX for enemy damage, enemy vanish, and item use.
  • System: Hydratation: Regeneration changed to recover 2/4 HP & 1/2 MP every 10 steps from 15 steps.
  • System: Fixed Solveig and Lily having two (or more) desperation statuses overlapping during their introductory scenes.
  • System: Fixed Solveig's Desperation Status not dissappearing after peeing during the first event (before fighting the Giant Spider).
  • System: Adjusted Lily's picture CG scenes' image sizes.
  • System: Fixed Rain not stopping after Lily's correct tier 3 Scene trigger.
  • Character: Fixed Solveig and Liliana's Special Skills' requirements based on Base Level and Elemental Affinity(affinities) Level(s).
  • Shop: Changed Medicinal Herb's Gold cost to 100 from 200.
  • Shop: Changed Mint's Gold cost to 75 from 150.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Mana Egg drop rate percentage changed to 10% from 100%.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob dropped item added: Mercury Drop (10% drop rate).
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Maximum HP has been increased to 2500 from 2262.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Base Attack has been increased to 45 from 34.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Base Defense has been decreased to 30 from 32.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Base Magic Defense has been increased to 24 from 14.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Strenghtened status' Attack boost has been decreased to 10% from 25%.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Skill: Cutting Edge's base Attack Power has been decreased to 200% from 300%.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Skill: Cutting Edge's base Attack Power has been decreased to 200% from 300%.
  • Boss Monster: Mercury Glob's Skill: Cutting Edge's Side Effect: Bleeding has been erased.

Would there be any more things to correct, please let me know!

On 9/13/2016 at 6:32 PM, hikeune said:

New poll about the game is taking effect now:

Should the peeing sound be extended depending on the desperation status the girl is in at the moment of relieving herself? (15~30 seconds)

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=57d88c60e4b0d0c2c5bd21b6

I would say extend it, but also have different peeing sounds depending on the location. After all, a tinkle in the toilet sounds quite different from a hiss in the bushes.

Just finished the catacombs and hit the current end of the game and I have to say, this first part was great. Can't wait to play the next part once its out :)

Edited by Rinatro

I played all the way through to where the latest update ends.  I have been really liking it. Some very nice and varied omo scenarios, and I certainly appreciate the depth of some of the mechanics, it certainly makes it feel a lot more polished and interesting. I also really like how much the player can affect what type of scenes they get. I've been copying files to make sure I don't miss anything. 

Now this said, I do feel like I have to comment on the difficulty. This game is hard. Very hard. Possibly the hardest RPG I've played, and it's even more egregious considering what I've experienced is all early game stuff which presumably means things will only get harder. I can appreciate difficulty and having to learn the mechanics, but even then I've had to spend a lot of time grinding and take several tries against each boss. The first boss was one thing since you're allowed to lose that fight (which is something I feel games don't do enough) the skeleton certainly made me have to learn the mechanics of the game, but even then I had to grind up my magic, farm mushrooms, and I think level up a few times. That stuff was basically prologue and was that hard, the newest update was harder still. I felt even just normal enemies were quite a struggle and I had to basically just use the strongest stuff I had and then around in circles to auto heal as it ate up my healing items very quickly. I do appreciate having enemies drop healing items though, as in situations like that you can at least get your bearings with a  bit of farming. I had about 3 hours of saved playtime and grew 5 levels each just from the 3 floor dungeon in the last update which is certainly excessive. 

I do have a few suggestions for ways to handle the difficulty, of course there's the obvious one of simply just making enemies weaker, or perhaps an optional easy mode for that. Though for some more indirect ways, you could make healing items more plentiful or have a larger affect, skill and magic could level up faster, you could allow players to retry battles they lose without penalty, or retain any experience gained upon death, or some combination of the above. I really don't want to sound too critical and hard as I have been enjoying, but I feel that the difficulty really needs to be stressed. 

A few additional things is that Heal can be spammed on the overworld above a savepoint where you can restore MP to easily raise Water level. Even works at full health.  Also, it'd be nice to be able to stand still for a few seconds and then have the natural healing kick in but at a faster rate. It would be a lot less painful than walking back in forth between pairs of spikes trying to heal up for the next encounter. 

For your reference, I'll share my playtime and levels at each save I've made. Playtime isn't 100% accurate, as there has been a little bit of idling, but it shouldn't be too significant. Please feel free to ask if you any more details on my statistics at a certain point.

1: Leaving the camp to search for the professor.  0:25 Level 5

2. Start of Liliana's chapter. 0:40  Level 5 (Seems the save before fighting the spider was overwrited)

3: End of Liliana's chapter (before quiz) 1:33 Level 9

4: End of Liliana's chapter (after quiz, I used the guide) 1:36 Level 9

5: Having talked to everyone you need to and before making preparations 1:55 Level 9 each

6. After reaching the bottom of the catacombs and learning you need to find a switch.  4:10 Level 13 each.  (I meant to make a file after preparing but overwrote that. And the playtime is slightly higher than it should be as this save is actually making it back to the top instead of  right when the switch search begun.)

7. Before the boss. 4:34 Level 14 each.

8. Last save. 4:48 Level 15 each.

Edited by Dead because I killed it
Forgot some things

18 hours ago, Dead because I killed it said:

Now this said, I do feel like I have to comment on the difficulty. This game is hard. Very hard

I wouldn't even call it hard. The enemies hit for excessive damage, every battle feels like life or death especially with critical hits. Leveling up takes a long time as enemies give low amounts of EXP. The basic physical attacks miss a LOT so I can't rely on them, and after each battle I'm at 1/2 MP.

Also, for the 1st dungeon, the timing on the spike floors is very quick, so even when I walk over them I'll still take damage sometimes.

Thanks for your interest in the game, and I'm sorry the difficulty is being an issue. I don't want to make the game easy at all, because I don't want to make it just a conventional RPG. I've been in the position of the player who doesn't even grind at all and the game is still too easy. I understand that it should be easier at the beginning, and in that case it would regain its difficulty and more in the future. Some mob and boss strengths will be adjusted by the next patch, so I suppose it'll be a better experience. Then again, please keep in mind that some suggestions about making it easier I can not implement, such as an easy mode or having the magic affinities to level up faster (mostly because there already is a feature that makes them level up faster, which happens every  20 base levels).

Edited by hikeune

On 9/30/2016 at 3:12 PM, hikeune said:

Thanks for your interest in the game, and I'm sorry the difficulty is being an issue. I don't want to make the game easy at all, because I don't want to make it just a conventional RPG. I've been in the position of the player who doesn't even grind at all and the game is still too easy. I understand that it should be easier at the beginning, and in that case it would regain its difficulty and more in the future. Some mob and boss strengths will be adjusted by the next patch, so I suppose it'll be a better experience. Then again, please keep in mind that some suggestions about making it easier I can not implement, such as an easy mode or having the magic affinities to level up faster (mostly because there already is a feature that makes them level up faster, which happens every  20 base levels).

Just keep in mind that what you find to be easy is not always what the general consensus finds. I made a few levels in Mario Maker that I didn't think were that hard, but many of them have clear rates below 10%.

If I may make a suggestion for a difficulty patch, perhaps have an item trader of some sort in the catacombs in part 3? The village is literally right behind the girls, and just saying "welp, can't go back once we go in here" is a bit on the absurd side.

2 hours ago, MasterXploder said:

If I may make a suggestion for a difficulty patch, perhaps have an item trader of some sort in the catacombs in part 3? The village is literally right behind the girls, and just saying "welp, can't go back once we go in here" is a bit on the absurd side.

This has a reason, character-developed related, though. Hopefully this'll have more sense once the next update shows up.

I don't think this game is overly difficult, to be honest. The catacombs were frustrating to play through, but that had mostly to do with the fact that you had to traverse an very linear path back and forth a lot. I like the difficulty where it is, and I think reducing frustration comes with good level design rather than changing numbers around.

I'll probably go ahead and play through the entire game again once the next patch hits, so that I can post some more detailed level design analysis if I can find the time.