Recommended Posts

STATS

HP: 100/100 

Mp: 100/100

Stamina: 100% 

Bladder: 3%


Weapon equipped: Broadsword- a powerful blade, but drastically slows the wielder. Mt: 8 Crit: 0 Weight: 8

Str: 2

Def: 1

Spd: 2 

Mag: 2

Res: 2

Skill: 2

 

Weapon presidencies:

-Brawl (no weapon):1

-Sword: 2

 

Inventory: 

-Nalin (+50 Stamina, +30 bladder)

-50 gold

-Map

-Earth Amulet: Allows you to use earth magic and receive power and health regen from ley lines. (Spell: Ley Line Regen)

-Journal: 2/20 entries (seen by request), has a mysterious 'guide'

-Mans potion (1): Recover 20% mp
 

 

Magic:

-Stat +1: enhance one of your stats +1 for a short time. Can stack. (5-15 mp)

-Power Shot: a non-elemental blast of energy that can be powered up by an element (15 mp)

-Charge Strike 1: Use energy to double your next attack/spell. If used multiple times, it will stack. Any action other than an attack will cancel it, including being hit hard enough. Can be imbued with elemental power. 10% mp per charge, +charge time (up to 3 charges)

-First Aid: recover hp instantaneously! (1 hp/5 mp)

-Ley Line (passive)- Search and connect to Ley Lines for regenerative effects and mag. Boost. Needs focus to connect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reply in this manner "Um, wha-... uh, okay?". So kinda a mix of 1 and 2.

 

I figured the weakness to blunt type attacks for the golem but the decrease in defense coupled with the drain on health for our attacks made it seem not worthwhile for us to continue in that manner, Hence my question about being able to pick up a rock and use it as a weapon at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Uh, why me? Didn't the kid ask for you?" you ask.
"It's not that big of a deal," Brilton replies. "Will is just a sort of... Well..."
"A gang leader," Will finishes. "I help the people of Harani, so they turn to me for aid. I'm like a mayor or protector, but only unofficially." He smiles again, that brilliant grin that makes him look almost like a little kid. "Please? I promise it won't be too difficult."
"But, why me?" you repeat. "They're expecting you-"
"If I may," Brilton interjects, "Just as you had your reason for coming here, so did Will. We won't force you to go, but..."
"I can't go now." Will finishes, the smile falling from his face. "I have some very important business here. To be frank, the town's trouble is unfortunately trivial compared to this. Would you please go? Not for myself or Brilton, but for Harani?"
"Okay," you reply. If Will says you can handle it, it probably won't be a problem. He saw you fight firsthand, and he's been kind to you so far. 
"Thank you, Ellie," Will says, the head,  once more appearing on his face. You turn to the kid, but before you can say anything, he's grabbed your hand and is pulling you towards the cave's entrance. 
______________________________________________________________

The two of you run towards Harani top-speed. The sky slowly darkens as you run, until clouds cover the sun. Rain doesn't fall, but it's as if it should any second. 
The two of you pass the gates, and you immediately notice all the windows in the vicinity shut, and the people unseen. The kid stops and points down a street. "It's around this corner, miss!" he says. "Good luck!" Then he turns and runs for one of the houses, disappearing into it almost immediately. 
You walk towards the corner, and turn it- and nearly run into the first of at least twenty corpses. 

Of birds. 

Strewn across the street. 

"What the..." you begin, when your hear two voices coming from the next street. As you run towards it, you try to hear what they're saying. 
"Really, human?" one of them mocks, sounding very much unlike a person. "I thought your kind were good at throwing. You can't even hit me."
"CHICKEN!" the other screams, followed by a very convincing clucking noise. A second later, a loud thunk echoes off the wall next to the corner. You run up next to it, and try to peer around the corner. You hear the first voice sigh. 
"Please, mankin. You cannot touch me. Do you want to get hurt?"
You turn the corner immediately, sword drawn- it is your duty to protect citizens, after all- and dodge to the side almost instantly as the man bellows "CHICKEN!" again, followed by the clucking noise, and a live chicken goes flying past your head, scaring the living daylights out of you. (bladder +10%)
Oh, gods...
"CHICKEN!" the butcher screams again, picking up another one and hurling it at- a black thing. 
It has to be a cat. It's cat-shaped. But bigger. Much bigger. And much scarier. It sidesteps the chicken, beheading it midair with its claws. The chicken joins about two dozen others on the ground, along with easily a hundred wild bird carcasses. "Human..."
"CHICKEN! CHICKENCHICKENCHICKEN!" the butcher hollers, throwing first one, then three chickens tied together. The cat-thing dodges them all, murdering them as they sail past, and begins walking at the man. 
"COOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!" You have no idea how, but the butcher has somehow pulled a LIVING COW from underneath his tent, picked it up by the hooves, and is swinging it around his head like a lasso. The cow goes flying straight at the cat-thing, who simply smacks it out of the air and continues walking. The butcher reaches under his counter again, but it supply zooms over to him, and bats him on the forehead. The man groans, before falling backward, unconscious. 
"Bad human," the thing hisses, and turns it's back on the butcher. It all happened in seconds. 
It lifts its eyes, and they meet yours. "Well..." it purrs, slowly stalking toward you. "Eleanor Shinku... Just who I was looking for." It smiles widely, light reflecting off its razor-sharp teeth. "The Grand Magus Martin sends his regards."

What do you do?
-Attack him! Now! (no talking)
-Ask him something
-Other

STATUS

HP: 100/100 

Mp: 100/100

Stamina: 100% 

Bladder: 13%

 

20 hours ago, ju48 said:

Reply in this manner "Um, wha-... uh, okay?". So kinda a mix of 1 and 2.

 

I figured the weakness to blunt type attacks for the golem but the decrease in defense coupled with the drain on health for our attacks made it seem not worthwhile for us to continue in that manner, Hence my question about being able to pick up a rock and use it as a weapon at the time.

Just to clarify- even using a rock would have been ineffective. A trial of body meant using your strength, not a tool. If this was a game of D&D, I would have made the golem immune to anything but punches, but the dragon's immunities took a while, and I got the feeling that people were getting bored of the golem fight. 

 

If anyone has any questions about the new combat system, just ask. 

I also forgot to add in that the options displayed during combat will be simplified to Attack, Defend, Magic, Item, and Other. Occasionally other options might appear, but usually not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, guest said:

Just to clarify- even using a rock would have been ineffective. A trial of body meant using your strength, not a tool. If this was a game of D&D, I would have made the golem immune to anything but punches, but the dragon's immunities took a while, and I got the feeling that people were getting bored of the golem fight. 

I see... I will keep this in mind for later in the story. As for this chapter's selection, I will say we ask it how it knows The Grand Magus Martin. After we get a reply to that, I suggest we ask why it was searching for us in particular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You lower your sword somewhat, though keeping it ready to defend yourself with. 
"What do you want?" you ask. "And how do you know Magus Martin?"
The cat-thing stalks closer to you, before sitting back on its legs and crossing its front legs across its chest. "GRAND Magus, Miss Shinku. He instructed me to give you a package-" he points over his shoulder- "and a message. He says, 'Report to the Cardinal with this mirror already, dimwit." 
"O-okay, but how do you know him?" you repeat.
"He made me," the being responds without hesitation.
"He what?!?"
"He created me, Mordacht, to kill the birds outside his window. Didn't you see their carcasses back there?"
"Then, why..."
"I'm here because he found that bird explosion spell, so he uses me as a familiar now. He did tell me to, and I quote, 'kill every one of those goddamned feathered nuisances' on my way."
So that explained the bird slaughter back there. You walk over to the bag and pick it up. Inside is a hand mirror with a pearly frame. (Item gained: Magic Mirror) Mordacht makes a sort of grunting noise, before melting into the ground as a shadow. One of the chickens had slowly picked itself up, but a claw slashes out of the shadows on the wall and slices it in two. 
You shake your head, withdraw the mirror, and look into it. "Cardinal Lokin," you say aloud to activate it,band the mirror begins to slowly heat up. Less than a minute later, the surface clouds over, then clears. The Cardinal looks through it at you, his calm face looking as peaceful as ever. 
"My child," he asks, "how has your quest gone?"

How do you answer?
-Open ended!


Magic Mirror instructions: 
You can call a person you know with the mirror. There are some limitations, though- they must have a mirror, you must know their face and be able to clearly say their name, and not have been blocked by them.

STATUS

HP: 100/100 

Mp: 100/100

Stamina: 100% 

Bladder: 13%

Weapon equipped: Broadsword- a powerful blade, but drastically slows the wielder. Mt: 8 Crit: 0 Weight: 8

 

 

As always, critiques appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should reply as such: "My lord, I have come to success in a way none may have foreseen. I shall return once I have finished my remaining business here."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ju48 said:

We should reply as such: "My lord, I have come to success in a way none may have foreseen. I shall return once I have finished my remaining business here."

Just so you know, this is the Cardinal, the religious leader and advisor to the king, not the king himself. He's not really a lord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, guest said:

Just so you know, this is the Cardinal, the religious leader and advisor to the king, not the king himself. He's not really a lord.

Well, this shows how little I know about religious titles because I can't come up with a replacement title for him... Let's just replace the my lord part with Cardinal. That seems like a fairly safe bet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(I know how late this is, and how criminally short it is, too... Sorry. Also, I have no idea how it ended up in italics, so... Yeah.)

"Everything went much better than expected, your holiness," you reply. "I'll tell you more at the castle, ok?"
The Cardinal's expression never changes. "Do not fret, my dear girl. Martin made that mirror so that no one around you can hear what you say into it. What other details are there?"
"I'd still prefer to tell you in person, Cardinal."
His face finally changes, from perfect serenity to serenely confused. It's quite strange how he managed to pull that off. "Please, my child, did you get the relic?"
"I did, Cardinal, but-"
"That's wonderful," he interjects. "Please, bring it as soon as you can. Did you have any difficulties retrieving it? Were you attacked by goblins?"

How do you respond? 
-Open Ended

Edited by guest
stuff messed up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I would prefer to tell you the details of my obtaining it once I get back so I can tell everyone at once and not need to repeat it a dozen times."

3 hours ago, guest said:

I know how late this is, and how criminally short it is, too... Sorry. Also, I have no idea how it ended up in italics, so... Yeah.

1) Others have stories that update less frequently and less predictably than you 2) It's not the worst I have seen but it does side towards short which is okay from time to time as long as it isn't too often (at least how I see it) 3) Probably not your fault...?

 

Keep up the good story writing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn cardinal, he can't really wait for explanations.

If I remember correctly when we got our quest, no one told us we had to kill the goblins. And generally speaking the kingdom would probably benefit by having diplomatic and trade relations with the goblins. Still, we don't know what the Cardinal may think about start a new era with goblins.

So let's answer with "I didn't had to fight the goblins. I'll explain further what happened as soon as I'll be back"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"No, Cardinal. There were no problems. I didn't have to fight any goblins, either. I'll explain when I return, ok?"
For a split second, a look of suspicion may have flashed across his face, but then again, maybe it didn't. "My dear girl, are you hiding something? Do you wish for confession?"
"No!" you say, maybe a bit too quickly. "I just would like to be able to tell everyone at once. I have big news!" 
"Very well," he replies. "I shall inform the king of your reply. We all await your return." The mirror went foggy, and the image vanished, but you could swear that right before it does so, you could have seen a look of vast irritation on the Cardinal's face. 
"Hmmm..." you muse to yourself. You begin walking to the end of Harani, intent on going to the castle, when a voice speaks from atop a wall near you. It's not a loud voice, but it is very clear. 
"Stop." The voice, while sounding vaguely male, was otherwise entirely indescribable. There was no... substance to it at all. You immediately look up for it, and what see a person in a black cloak. The shroud covers it entirely, so that no details of its figure are noticeable, except its eyes, which glow like unholy green flame in infinite darkness.
"Thou art the girl who won the holy sword, are ye not?" it asks again, with absolutely no inflections or accent to its voice.
"I am... Who are you?" you reply. "And what do you want?"
The figure jumps down, landing gracefully on its feet. "My name is Sable. I am here because I deem ye unworthy of the sword. Hand it to me at once."
"No!" you reply. "I passed the trials, I am worthy to possess it!"
"Fool." Sable approaches you slowly, his cloak fluttering around him. "An infant could have passed those. Thou demonstrated that thou wert unworthy during them." He continues walking slowly, punctuating each sentence with a step. "Thou didst not recognize thine true enemy for far too long. Thou refused to believe in thine strength, relying solely upon thine weapon to save ye. Ye displayed a lack of determination and strength when ye urinated all over thineself."
"H-how do you know that?" you reply, retreating a step or two. "And who are you to judge me, anyway?" 
"I am Sable." he says. "I see all and hear all. I am the king of shadows. And I wast amongst those whom designed those very trials!"
"But-" you begin, when he stops walking and interrupts.
"Thrice I shall say it, and be done. Thou art unworthy. Relinquish the sword or die."
"Never!" you shout, hefting your broadsword. 
"Then ye shall perish," he says blankly, drawing a black dagger out of his cloak.

download.png


What do you do?
-Fight
-Defend
-Magic
-Item

STATS

HP: 100/100 

Mp: 100/100

Stamina: 100% 

Bladder: 13%


Weapon equipped: Broadsword- a powerful blade, but drastically slows the wielder. Mt: 8 Crit: 0 Weight: 8

Str: 2

Def: 1

Spd: 2 

Mag: 2

Res: 2

Skill: 2

Weapon presidencies:

-Brawl (no weapon):1

-Sword: 2

 

Inventory: 

-Nalin (+50 Stamina, +30 bladder)

-50 gold

-Map

-Earth Amulet: Allows you to use earth magic and receive power and health regen from ley lines. (Spell: Ley Line Regen)

-Journal: 2/20 entries (seen by request), has a mysterious 'guide'

-Sword Relic: a sword statuette that you have been asked to retrieve

-Mans potion (1): Recover 20% mp


Magic:

-Stat +1: enhance one of your stats +1 for a short time. Can stack. (5-15 mp)

-Power Shot: a non-elemental blast of energy that can be powered up by an element (15 mp)

-Charge Strike 1: Use energy to double your next attack/spell. If used multiple times, it will stack. Any action other than an attack will cancel it, including being hit hard enough. Can be imbued with elemental power. 10% mp per charge, +charge time (up to 3 charges)

-First Aid: recover hp instantaneously! (1 hp/5 mp)

-Ley Line (passive)- Search and connect to Ley Lines for regenerative effects and mag. Boost. Needs focus to connect. 

 

Boss battle time! Hope you guys are ready!

Edited by guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was unexpected... considering his weapon, he is probably more for the quick in and out style fighting. He also calls himself the king of shadows so I don't know how well physical attacks will do against him. Let's start this off with a power shot to test his magical defense.

 

Sorry for thinking out my plans in my posts if it bothers anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ju48 said:

Well that was unexpected...

Going to be honest, I needed to put the fight in Harani, before Ellie leaves, and I couldn't think of a better transition. It's dark, there's no one out, and she was leaving- there really wasn't much room to put a quick decision in. (If you can think of one, please tell me. It would help out in the future.) Besides, Sable is supposed to be unexpected. No one expects the Sable Inquisition. (I know. I'm sorry. Couldn't resist.)

Edited by guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought of a tactic since my reply yesterday and would like to ask if there are any torches or other things of the sort nearby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ju48 said:

I thought of a tactic since my reply yesterday and would like to ask if there are any torches or other things of the sort nearby.

Nope, sorry. It is still the middle of the day, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, guest said:

Nope, sorry. It is still the middle of the day, after all.

Well there goes my tactic. Oh well. Just need to find a different way to kill him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the attacking with power shot, because they are undoubtedly faster than us... so unless we can ditch the weapon and still deal lots of damage, we need to keep our distance. Another thought... they might have high magic, so definitely be weary of any spells they might cast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I took so long to update. I've been having issues, but I'm back to writing. It seems based on number of replies that most of you are not big combat fans. However, with the combat reforms, most fights should be over by about four posts. If you dislike combat, please say so or give advice about it. I'm trying to make this story more story-centric and less combat-centric, if that helps.

 

 You lift your hand to shoot a power shot, but before you can, he's on you. You barely had time to register his approach. One second ago, he was a few meters away, and the next, he's less than a foot. His dagger glows green as an aura just like his eyes appears around it, and suddenly, there are three more of him, all rushing you at once. Each one slashes at you. You cannot even hope to dodge them- they're too close, too fast, and too numerous. (Hp -5)(Critical hit! Hp-15, Bladder +10)(Hp-5)(Hp-5) 
After their blades cut into you, the three clones dissipate like smoke clouds. You take advantage of the pause between attacks, and launch a power shot at the cloaked fiend.
Sable doesn't even attempt to dodge. He instead holds out a single gloved hand at the blast. The ball of energy stops moving midair, and turns from being faintly blue to a pulsing purple orb. "Return," he intones blankly. The power shot suddenly shoots back towards you, barely missing you. It crashes into a nearby kiosk, immediately incinerating it. 
"No way..." you mutter, glancing at the wreckage. "My shot wasn't that powerful..." 
"You should be focusing on what's important," said Sable. You turn back around quickly to see him slowly walking towards you again. "Your impending doom still awaits..."

What do you?
-Attack
-Magic
-Defend (5% chance of success)

STATUS

HP: 70/100 

Mp: 100/100

Stamina: 100% 

Bladder: 23%

Weapon equipped: Broadsword- a powerful blade, but drastically slows the wielder. Mt: 8 Crit: 0 Weight: 8

 

Quick aside: what do you guys think of music? Should I put it only in boss fights, like I planned, or each time you enter a new area and the like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really have an opinion on the music but I think we should do a strait up attack and hope he doesn't manage to dodge it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.