Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Make sure to look into some classics. Specifically the ones that appeal to the genres you like, and maybe some that take you out of your genre comfort zone. They're classic for a reason.

Some classics of all different genres would be Berserk, Madoka Magika, Evangelion, Dragon Ball Z(Kai is very helpful for this), and other things like that.

Also, consider looking into Spice and Wolf. Good light novels, excellent anime. The dialogue between the two protags is supremely enjoyable and all fan service is tasteful and reasonably scarce. 

On 4/8/2017 at 10:53 AM, EMT said:

Your thinking of KonoSuba, which is one of the best anime in the past couple years. For general guidelines, don't watch SAO (it's absolute trash), watch something like Sangastsu no Lion or Clannad. I'd also recommend No Game No Life or Re:Zero. Also try to use CrunchyRoll, since watching on pirate sites hurts the industry.

YAS. NGNL and Re:Zero are great. One I recommend adding onto the action/comedy area would be Kill la Kill, and you can also even take a look at Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, which actually has a more Western animation style and the English dub is p damn great.

(On the other hand, how dare you criticize SAO, it's a great anime!.... Jkjk, while I do have the unpopular opinion of actually liking SAO, I will say it's not for the entire series, but mainly for the premise of Aincrad, [i mean stuck in a fantasy video game sounds p epic] which would make for a GREAT game, and parts of the GGO arc [which also would make a GREAT game], especially Sinon, who's design I just LOVE. Other than that, yeah, it's p much trash, tho 2nd half of SAO II was alright and I heard the new movie was p good.) 

11 hours ago, Jeffery Mewtamer said:

The Aincrad Arc of Sword Art Online was pretty good animated, but the second arc kind of bored me. Granted, I experienced the anime by listening to it on Toonami during the time between going blind and giving up on television altogether. The first volume of the light novels is pretty good, and I hear the plot really takes off in volume 7, though, if I'm not mistaken, the anime has only adapted the first six volumes. I have volumes 2-12 queued on my talking e-Reader, but my reading list is a mile long and eBooks tend to take a back seat to things I can read online or get as audiobooks.

*Spoiler alert for those who care*

Tbf, A-1 is really hit or miss with things, but they generally have pretty good animation quality (see: Aldnoah:Zero, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April), heck even Shelter may as well count, lol), so yeah, I agree that Aincrad was pretty beautiful, except until they decided to ditch the action and go for drama. In all honesty they should've made Aincrad into 1 season or more of the 24 episode season, as they skipped quite a bit of material that the LNs covered which were not in the anime that explained the Cardinal system more and just training/grinding experiences in general. The Alfheim arc was borderline unwatchable with a rape-y villain and borderline incest themes (but it's alright since she's his cousin, right? /s), I heard even the LNs were "alright" at best. I will have to maintain that the GGO arc is my favorite since Sinon was/is the best developed character of them, and the 2nd half of 2 was not that bad, as it was mainly side stories and had a pretty interesting character (til she freaking died). Volume 7 and beyond has indeed not been animated yet, tho knowing A-1 and how much SAO makes them money, I foresee them coming out with the Alicization arc within the next 2 years. The new movie Ordinal Scale was essentially an original "in between" before they move onto the next arc I believe, but I have heard pretty good things about it, especially since it's already longer than the rest o SAO put together (Alicization is up to volume 15 or 16 already), though granted it is split into smaller arcs. I also have to find some time to read through it.

On 4/11/2017 at 3:29 AM, ShowOffX said:

YAS. NGNL and Re:Zero are great. One I recommend adding onto the action/comedy area would be Kill la Kill, and you can also even take a look at Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, which actually has a more Western animation style and the English dub is p damn great.

(On the other hand, how dare you criticize SAO, it's a great anime!.... Jkjk, while I do have the unpopular opinion of actually liking SAO, I will say it's not for the entire series, but mainly for the premise of Aincrad, [i mean stuck in a fantasy video game sounds p epic] which would make for a GREAT game, and parts of the GGO arc [which also would make a GREAT game], especially Sinon, who's design I just LOVE. Other than that, yeah, it's p much trash, tho 2nd half of SAO II was alright and I heard the new movie was p good.) 

From what I've seen the new movie is the same trash with slightly better animation. If you liked the concept of SAO, Log Horizon or DanMachi are much better takes on it (excluding KonoSuba and Re:Zero).

On 4/12/2017 at 6:40 PM, EMT said:

From what I've seen the new movie is the same trash with slightly better animation. If you liked the concept of SAO, Log Horizon or DanMachi are much better takes on it (excluding KonoSuba and Re:Zero).

I've watched DanMachi, and jess not exactly the same in the fact that it's a completely separate world, if that makes any sense. I haven't seen Log Horizon so I can't make a judgement on that, but I still maintain my opinion of liking the GGO arc the most, due to Sinon's character design, rather than the idea of SAO (tho it's not bad), if you get what I mean. Ik there are many other series out there that do the alternate world thing better (eg KonoSuba and Re:Zero), and I do prefer these over SAO, but I liked the concept of it as a game, esp GGO. That's somewhat why it fascinates me. That, and being one of the first series I've completed. (I randomly took a couple series off the Most popular anime list and this was one of them. Others included Soul Eater, Durarara, Steins;Gate, to name a few.)

11 hours ago, ShowOffX said:

I've watched DanMachi, and jess not exactly the same in the fact that it's a completely separate world, if that makes any sense. I haven't seen Log Horizon so I can't make a judgement on that, but I still maintain my opinion of liking the GGO arc the most, due to Sinon's character design, rather than the idea of SAO (tho it's not bad), if you get what I mean. Ik there are many other series out there that do the alternate world thing better (eg KonoSuba and Re:Zero), and I do prefer these over SAO, but I liked the concept of it as a game, esp GGO. That's somewhat why it fascinates me. That, and being one of the first series I've completed. (I randomly took a couple series off the Most popular anime list and this was one of them. Others included Soul Eater, Durarara, Steins;Gate, to name a few.)

You liked GGO? It was so trash. There were so many problems with that arc. Sinon had literally no character, and, as the same with every female character, becomes Kirito's damsel in distress. The only good arc was Mother's Rosario. That was the best because that got rid of Kirito and had actual character development. 

On 4/17/2017 at 2:25 PM, EMT said:

You liked GGO? It was so trash. There were so many problems with that arc. Sinon had literally no character, and, as the same with every female character, becomes Kirito's damsel in distress. The only good arc was Mother's Rosario. That was the best because that got rid of Kirito and had actual character development. 

I mean she had more character development than most of the other characters (tho that isn't saying much lol). I liked GGO prolly cause of my partialness to FPS games and the combination of her actual character design (blue is my fav color, and I play a lot of support/sniper roles when I play FPS games). Unfortunately, as you stated, she does just become a damsel in distress so RIP her character :/. I will agree that Mother Rosario was a great arc tho. What irked me the most was that it was only a side story and it was too bad that they had to kill off the only good character.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so, a bit of an updated list of anime I watched:

- Souleater (Fantasy/Action) (Dub)

- Monster Musume (Ecchi-Fantasy/Comedy) (Sub)

- One punch man (Fantasy/Action/Comedy) (Sub)

- Assassination classroom (Fantasy/Action/Comedy) (Sub)

- Miss Kobayashi's dragon maid (Fantasy/Action/Comedy) (Sub)

- The devil is a parttimer (Fantasy/Action/Comedy) (Sub)

- Eromanga sensei (Ecchi-Sitcom) (Sub)

Currently watching:

- KonoSuba (Fantasy/Action/Comedy) (Sub)

Currently reading:

- Monster Musume (Ecchi-Fantasy/Comedy)

On 5/23/2017 at 4:35 AM, Misteriousmr said:

Ok, so, a bit of an updated list of anime I watched:

- Souleater (Fantasy/Action) (Dub)

- Monster Musume (Ecchi-Fantasy/Comedy) (Sub)

- One punch man (Fantasy/Action/Comedy) (Sub)

- Assassination classroom (Fantasy/Action/Comedy) (Sub)

- Miss Kobayashi's dragon maid (Fantasy/Action/Comedy) (Sub)

- The devil is a parttimer (Fantasy/Action/Comedy) (Sub)

- Eromanga sensei (Ecchi-Sitcom) (Sub)

Currently watching:

- KonoSuba (Fantasy/Action/Comedy) (Sub)

Currently reading:

- Monster Musume (Ecchi-Fantasy/Comedy)

All of those are good besides Eromanga. I'd try not to watch dubs though. Unless it's an older show like Cowboy Bepop. And looking at what you've seen, I'd recommend Re:Zero, Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, No Game No Life, and Mob Psycho 100. Mob Psycho 100 is One (the author of One Punch Mans)'s other work. It was done by bones and really good.

12 hours ago, EMT said:

All of those are good besides Eromanga.

You don't like Eromanga?!?!

hqdefault.jpg

21 hours ago, EMT said:

I'd try not to watch dubs though. Unless it's an older show like Cowboy Bepop.

Nah, it was just the first one I watched as a dub because I was a scared lil' bab

21 hours ago, EMT said:

And looking at what you've seen, I'd recommend Re:Zero, Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, No Game No Life, and Mob Psycho 100. Mob Psycho 100 is One (the author of One Punch Mans)'s other work. It was done by bones and really good.

Re:Zero - Heard about it, sounds video-gamey, might watch

Gurren Lagann - Ro ro fight the power (that's that one right?) sounds fun, but isn't it reaaaally long?

Kill la Kill - No idea, sounds...ummm...deadly?

No Game No Life - Never heard of it

Mob Psycho 100 - High on the list, heard about it multiple times and saw it was by the same dude, so that's nice.

I'm done watching KoroSuba, it was really good, thouroughly enjoyed it, even if I do think it's kinda weird they didn't go all the way through, is there more coming? Also, the erotic-dream-episode was just...bad...

By the way, not sure if I mentioned this before, but I try not to pick a series that's extreeeeemely long like DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, those kind of things. I'm also thinking of watching My Hero Academia, seems like it's something I'd enjoy...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a definitive watch along with the third movie it has called 'Rebellion' Dub or Sub doesn't really matter as both are excellent IMO.

Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works you may like (I don't like recommending the 2006 F/SN cause it's a bad adaptation.)

No Game No Life is a pretty good anime give it a try.

Re:Zero - Not as video gamey generic fantasy setting but with an interesting concept tbh

Code Geass is another you should watch for sure.

4 hours ago, Misteriousmr said:

You don't like Eromanga?!?!

hqdefault.jpg

Nah, it was just the first one I watched as a dub because I was a scared lil' bab

Re:Zero - Heard about it, sounds video-gamey, might watch

Gurren Lagann - Ro ro fight the power (that's that one right?) sounds fun, but isn't it reaaaally long?

Kill la Kill - No idea, sounds...ummm...deadly?

No Game No Life - Never heard of it

Mob Psycho 100 - High on the list, heard about it multiple times and saw it was by the same dude, so that's nice.

I'm done watching KoroSuba, it was really good, thouroughly enjoyed it, even if I do think it's kinda weird they didn't go all the way through, is there more coming? Also, the erotic-dream-episode was just...bad...

By the way, not sure if I mentioned this before, but I try not to pick a series that's extreeeeemely long like DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, those kind of things. I'm also thinking of watching My Hero Academia, seems like it's something I'd enjoy...

Gurren Lagann isn't that long. It's the last good Gainax show before most of them left to form Trigger. And also there's a Season 2 of KonoSuba.

4 hours ago, Misteriousmr said:

I did watch the second season, but still...no devil king?

Nope. It's a comedy series so I highly doubt they'll ever even reach the devil king. But my theory is the Devil King is that one guy in the pub with the dark skin and mohawk. 

Just so you know a lot of anime are based on ongoing manga and light novels and often do not actually finish the story. KonoSuba is popular enough to get another season but the chances of getting to the end with the Devil King are pretty slim. I really hate this so I check to make sure if it is an original or finishes its source material first. Of course reading the manga or light novel where the anime leaves of is always an option too, KonoSuba is popular enough that it will get translated by fans somewhere.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...