Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

So, I hear a loooot of people talk about how awesome anime is...but...how do I anime?

I have watched anime; I watched Soul eater and one punch man (one really well- and one lesser known anime) and I watched the ecchi anime Monster musume, and I loved all of them, but somehow, I find myself disintrested in other animes like FMA or deathnote, and I'm not about to jump into DBZ/Naruto/One piece because I do, in fact, have more to do with my time.

However, I do love multiple western animated series; Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, We Bear Bears, Rick and Morty and more.

So, where do I start? I tried watching Steins Gate but lost intrest relatively quickly, so I'm kinda lost.

- Glenn

http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

A good place to start is to look at some of the highest rated series. Read their descriptions, and find one that really truly sparks your interest. Anime comes down to taste more than anything. A series that is greatly adored and loved by one will undoubtedly be a total snooze-fest to another. The only reason I recommend looking through the top-rated series is because they generally receive favorable reviews. However don't be afraid to look deep into the list; many fantastic series cannot be found in the "top 100".

Once you find a series that captures your heart and your interest, start trying to find similar series. It's alot like finding new music. If you like a particular band, you generally look for bands of a similar genre in order to expand your musical knowledge. Anime is the same way. You need to find out what type of anime interests you, whether it's action/adventure, romance, drama, slice-of-life, comedy, etc.

I could recommend particular series, but I don't find this to be very helpful as everyone has different tastes, and it can be quite annoying when people suggest series that have very little interest to you. The most important thing in my opinion is to define your own interests. Watch what you want to watch, and don't let others define your tastes. I am a firm believer that literally EVERYONE can find an anime series that they like. People just get scared away because there's alot out there that they don't like, and they see a side of anime that doesn't intrigue their own particular interests. You just gotta find you.

I'll admit I'm not very well-versed in anime, but one series that I cannot recommend enough is Boku no Pico. Everything about it is wonderful, from its compelling art direction to its lovable character design, the God-tier writing, the quirky soundtrack... it's the whole nine yards baby. Unfortunately they only made three episodes of it, however I do remember hearing a rumor that they're planning a live-action reboot, which needless to say got me psyched.

^Yeah, it's pretty good, especially the third episode. Shame American kneejerk reactions to the kind of content it has means it'll never get dubbed into English. Should probably add a warning that it's Yaoi Shota Hentai, but still, it's the show that made me realize I'm only predominantly heterosexual rather than exclusively heterosexual.

I have no idea what Yaoi Shota means, but fuck it, I'll give it a try. I mean, 3 episodes can't be that bad...

Right?

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2016 at 0:39 AM, Misteriousmr said:

Edit:

Nononopenopenonopenopenonononopenonopenononopenopenopeneeeeeeeevermindillgolookatpicturesofcutefluffyanimalsnowokyesgodbyeeeeeeeeee

Welcome to the world of anime lol

Anyways, anime is really quite similar to watching everyday tv shows. All you need is to find a genre you like and start exploring from there. Also, try not to look at just mainstream animes. Often the lesser talked ones are much better and more fun to watch. Also note that not all shows are meant for your taste, so if you feel bored you can just skip them (but at least try to give them a chance first).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Based off of Monster Musume, check out Dog X Scissors. Nowhere near as much fanservice, but it's pretty funny. If you want that much fanservice, try Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero which is action instead of comedy.

If you want sheer awesomeness, go for Hellsing/Hellsing Ultimate, though there is a lot of blood.

Okay, I really like Slice of life/moe-blob animes. If you ever want a quick fix of adorable girls doing adorable things in adorable ways, then drop me a message/harass me in the comments here.

Like the above people have said, anime is taste based, and your tastes may change over time. I know I liked stuff like DBZ/Fairy Tail when I was younger, and now I wouldn't normally consider things like that to watch. I've been corrupted by moe-blobs and adorableness, and find violent things/bazooka tits to be a complete and utter 'nope out' for me. Give things, even genres you may not be interested in, a 4-episode run and see if your original interpretation still stands. I find that generally sets the scene for the whole series, as a month's worth of episodes normally allows one arc to be completed.

In short: Fluffly adorbs and cute girls - I'm knowledgeable about them, Violence and massive 'plot' (read: Breasts) - Nopenopenopenope. Give things a trial run (4 episodes) and just go by your personal tastes.

• 1 month later...

Based on what you say you watch, I see you have an interest in comedy/adventure/action. The reason why you were so disinterested in steins;gate was because it revolves around complicated theories like alternate time lines and old tech like DOS, while not having nearly as much action as OPM. 

While I don't have any notable examples of anime that you should watch based on this genre, I definitely recommend the slice of life, based on your mentioning of We bear bears. Of course, the slice of life can come in both realistic and fantasy flavors, and may be disguised in other genres (if you're a real lolicon, I suggest Kodomo no jikan; lots of comedy and cringe with a little side of tear jerking back story)

You should also try action anime like Jojo's bizarre adventure (I heard you love memes), Heaven's lost property (mostly ecchi, with a side of action and slice of life), and Konosuba (action with LOTS of comedy). Hopefully this has helped you in the journey of anime. 

Edited by This is Sparta (see edit history)
10 hours ago, This is Sparta said:

Based on what you say you watch, I see you have an interest in comedy/adventure/action. The reason why you were so disinterested in steins;gate was because it revolves around complicated theories like alternate time lines and old tech like DOS, while not having nearly as much action as OPM. 

While I don't have any notable examples of anime that you should watch based on this genre, I definitely recommend the slice of life, based on your mentioning of We bear bears. Of course, the slice of life can come in both realistic and fantasy flavors, and may be disguised in other genres (if you're a real lolicon, I suggest Kodomo no jikan; lots of comedy and cringe with a little side of tear jerking back story)

You should also try action anime like Jojo's bizarre adventure (I heard you love memes), Heaven's lost property (mostly ecchi, with a side of action and slice of life), and Konosuba (action with LOTS of comedy). Hopefully this has helped you in the journey of anime. 

I've since watched the rest of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Miss kobayashi's Dragon Maid BECAUSE IT'S HILARIOUS. I'm kinda intrested in things like The Devil is a Part-timer, or the one with the goddess "Aqua", not sure what it's called though.

Your thinking of KonoSuba, which is one of the best anime in the past couple years. For general guidelines, don't watch SAO (it's absolute trash), watch something like Sangastsu no Lion or Clannad. I'd also recommend No Game No Life or Re:Zero. Also try to use CrunchyRoll, since watching on pirate sites hurts the industry.