Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Good anime/manga?

Does anyone have any good anime/manga suggestions?

I usually like to read/watch comedy, gender bender, school life, romance, drama, but any other genres are fine, as long as they're interesting. :P

Also, are there any sad anime movies you can recommend?

For example, I loved the anime movie Hotarubi no Mori e. :)

Thanks!! :D

(You can also use this topic to find anime to watch like me, or discuss anime/manga).

Have you read Wandering Son (Hōrō Musuko)? That's a great gender-bender/school life manga. There's an anime too but the manga is much better. It's about two friends — one who was born a boy but identifies as a girl and the other who was born as a girl but identifies as a boy — and it's basically just about them dealing with school, puberty, and their identity. One of my favourites.

Another manga I recommend is Masturbation Master Kurosawa. It's about a guy who likes sneaking into the girl's washroom at his school and, well, masturbating. One day he gets caught by one of the girls in his class who threatens to tell everyone if he doesn't help her get revenge on her bullies. I know it sounds perverted but it's not. The story is actually really sweet and there's no nudity at all.

I also recommend all of Makoto Shinkai's films. The animation in them is beautiful and the stories are great too. Most of them are pretty sad as well.

Have you read Wandering Son (Hōrō Musuko)? That's a great gender-bender/school life manga. There's an anime too but the manga is much better. It's about two friends — one who was born a boy but identifies as a girl and the other who was born as a girl but identifies as a boy — and it's basically just about them dealing with school, puberty, and their identity. One of my favourites.

Another manga I recommend is Masturbation Master Kurosawa. It's about a guy who likes sneaking into the girl's washroom at his school and, well, masturbating. One day he gets caught by one of the girls in his class who threatens to tell everyone if he doesn't help her get revenge on her bullies. I know it sounds perverted but it's not. The story is actually really sweet and there's no nudity at all.

I also recommend all of Makoto Shinkai's films. The animation in them is beautiful and the stories are great too. Most of them are pretty sad as well.

Thanks! 

They all sound really good.

I'll try to watch them xD

I'd recommend Fujimi Lovers, if you're into romance. You'd have to put up with it being somewhat incomplete, however, as the current release only has about half of the series, and updates are quite slow.

As for anime, I'd recommend Kino's Journey and Eden of the East. Those two are among my favorite series which don't get a ton of notice. Kino's Journey is quite slow, and there's hardly an overarching story, but it's thought provoking and laid-back nature make it a good watch. Eden of the East is great too, sort of a mystery/romance/drama blend with some cool moments.

Edited by nex (see edit history)

I'd recommend Fujimi Lovers, if you're into romance. You'd have to put up with it being somewhat incomplete, however, as the current release only has about half of the series, and updates are quite slow.

As for anime, I'd recommend Kino's Journey and Eden of the East. Those two are among my favorite series which don't get a ton of notice. Kino's Journey is quite slow, and there's hardly an overarching story, but it's thought provoking and laid-back nature make it a good watch. Eden of the East is great too, sort of a mystery/romance/drama blend with some cool moments.

I read a lot of incomplete manga, so I actually don't mind that much. :)

Both Kino's Journey and Eden of the East sound great!

Maybe they'll become my favorite series too.. xD

i highly recommend fairy tail if you havent seen it or read the manga, aswell as D-greyman, they are hard to describe without giving spoilers, but i feel D-greyman is similar to bleach, feel free to disagree people

I've read Fairy Tail before (It was really funny), :D

I read a little bit of Bleach, and it seemed fun, so I'll look forward to reading it!

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a nice show to watch if you haven't already seen it.

A good comedy to watch would be Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. Sub or dub with or without watching the first season prior. It is hilarious. If you enjoy its type of comedy. 

I've actually seen Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood before. xD

Full Metal Panic also sounds really good. :D

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Gakkou Gurashi is my favorite anime by far.

It is to slice of life, what Madoka Magica is to magical girls.

And when I say that, I mean there's a genre flipping twist that you'll become incredibly aware of and possibly scream at the end of the first episode. So if you're gonna take a look at my suggestion, just watch episode 1. You'll immediately know whether you're going to marathon the whole thing, or never watch it again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I second the Gakkou Gurashi suggestion. 

Madoka Magica and Kill La Kill are both excellent as well.

Some others nobody has mentioned yet:

A Certain Scientific Railgun - Just all around good

Kiniro Mosaic - Very well done Slice of Life IMO

YuruYuri - Funny and lighthearted with some Yuri

Clannad & Clannad After Story - An absolute must watch for anyone who likes drama

Yuyushiki - Really derpy humor with almost no plot; classic SoL

Kyokai no kanata was nice and bittersweet

Chivalry of a failed knight and 35th tesp platoon are promising action anime with echi harem potential if you like those I recommend aria the scarlet ammo

Gekkan shojo Nozaki kun is a good romantic comedy for the misinterpretations and misunderstandings in it

Wolf girl and black prince was a riot

Good psychological anime would be

Ergo proxy

Psyco pass (maybe)

M3 the dark metal is good

And the best anime of all time steins gate of course

• 2 weeks later...

I always enjoyed Azumanga Daioh, it's School life and really funny.

Cool!

Funny anime is really fun to watch :D

Gakkou Gurashi is my favorite anime by far.

It is to slice of life, what Madoka Magica is to magical girls.

And when I say that, I mean there's a genre flipping twist that you'll become incredibly aware of and possibly scream at the end of the first episode. So if you're gonna take a look at my suggestion, just watch episode 1. You'll immediately know whether you're going to marathon the whole thing, or never watch it again.

Hmmm...

I'm probably going to end up watching the whole thing (I think?) xD

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a pretty good series, I'd definitely recommend reading and/or watching it if you're into some action and whatnot.

As far as sad stuff goes, try giving The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a shot, I get really emotional when watching that movie.

I think I saw Jojo's Bizzare Adventure before, but thanks anyway!!

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was...wow... x'D

It realy is emotional :)

There is a manga called Twin Spica that I thought was really good. It's about a girl going through school to become an austronaught and has been trained by the ghost of a dead austronaught since she was young.

Been recently watching hunterxhunter.

Twin Spica seems like a great anime!!

I'll try watching it :D

I'd say RWBY is a very good one. The characters are awesome, the villians are cool, the Grimm look badass and the story arc of it all is simply sublime. 

Plus the fight scenes are the most kick ass thing to grace my laptop screen.

Wow!! 

I'll tell you how it is after watching it xD

I second the Gakkou Gurashi suggestion. 

Madoka Magica and Kill La Kill are both excellent as well.

Some others nobody has mentioned yet:

A Certain Scientific Railgun - Just all around good

Kiniro Mosaic - Very well done Slice of Life IMO

YuruYuri - Funny and lighthearted with some Yuri

Clannad & Clannad After Story - An absolute must watch for anyone who likes drama

Yuyushiki - Really derpy humor with almost no plot; classic SoL

I'll try and find time for all of them (except Clannad, because I've watched it), since they all sound great xDDD

Thanks for 

Kyokai no kanata was nice and bittersweet

Chivalry of a failed knight and 35th tesp platoon are promising action anime with echi harem potential if you like those I recommend aria the scarlet ammo

Gekkan shojo Nozaki kun is a good romantic comedy for the misinterpretations and misunderstandings in it

Wolf girl and black prince was a riot

Good psychological anime would be

Ergo proxy

Psyco pass (maybe)

M3 the dark metal is good

And the best anime of all time steins gate of course

Love how you have all these different genres :D

And I love Steins Gate's art so much!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your great suggestions! :D

I'll have (lots of) fun watching all these.

If you find any others, it would be great if you told me!! xD

• 5 months later...

If your still looking for suggestions and like randomness then try Azumanga Diaoh!

Ifor you want straight out adorableness with some adventure and some sadness, try Noragami!

For even more random funnyness, there is Ouran Highschool Host Club.

If your okay with gayness,(put I'm just putting it out there right now) try Hetalia, it's short and adorable~

• 3 months later...