Sign in to follow this  

Top Five Favorite Animes

Kinda self-explanatory, what are your five favorite animes. Also, a short description of said anime, just so we can know what it's all about. I'll  give mine now, (NOTE: as of psting, I am watching D. Gray Man, but very little of it, so it may change my list)

5. Kenichi The Mighties Disciple: A good fighting and comedy anime, revolving around a guy learning several types of martial arts from the most terrifying school in Japan. Would be higher, if not for the how perverted it can be. This is fine in excess, but not in almost every episode. Other than that, solid fights and good, if perverted humor.

4. Ouran High School Host Club: A comedy and romance anime about Haruhi, a girl going to a private school for the extremely rich. While there, she stumbles upon the host club, where the most beautiful boys with way too much time entertain girls with too much time. While there, she accidentally puts herself in debt, forcing jer to work for them, while the members of the club fall in loce with her. Smart humor with the most heart I've seen in an anime.

3. Soul Eater: An action anime where students are trained to battle demons and save the world from the most poaerful of them. Great action amd characters, if  bit perverted and hard to explain.

2. Helsing Ultimate: An action anime recolving around the vampire, Alucard, who is loyal to the Helsing family, which has protected the world from the supernatural. A bit short and gory, but has a great story and excellent action scenes.

1. Black Butler: Watch it now. The young earl Ciel Phantomhive guards englamd from crime, alone with his demon butler Sebastian. Excellent everything, even in the second season. WARNING: May make you a Satanist.

1. Madoka Magicia - The greatest anime of all time. If you haven't seen it, heard of it, watched it, etc, you're doing it very wrong.

2. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Another very popular one, and is a total mind fuck. Lots of killing, lots of laughs, lots of "wtf just happened here?"

3. Akagi - It's a mahjong anime. The protagonist basically constantly bets his life on gambles (mainly mahjong) and the stories that go along.

4. Seitokai no Ichizon - Your standard Slice of Life/Comedy/Harem/Parody. The only male protagonist (Sugisaki Ken) essentially is trying to turn the Student Council into his harem, and the story follows the Student Council's every day life and the constant abuse Ken takes while parodying other current anime. As an example, they reference Haruhi Suzumiya no Yuutsu, Lucky Star, DBZ, Death Note, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Magical Girl Lyrica Nanoha all within the first 2 minutes of the first episode. Oh yeah, as for the other members of the Student Council: One is a (hilariously stupid) loli, one is into nothing but Yaoi and video games, one is a a government/corporate mercenary, and the last one is basically the star of every sports team on campus.

5. Seitokai no Yakuindomo - Think of a guy in an all girls school. Then imagine that 75% of the girls in the school are perverted. It's pretty much a while bunch of episode of sex jokes and laughs. Oh yeah, and as the title suggests, the main protagonists are also on the Student Council. Tsuda, the one male, is essentially normal. The 3 girls: one is a loli genius (who isn't perverted), one is a perverted, big boobed, airhead, and the president is your normal (in a sense), perverted girl that does nothing but turn everything said into a sex joke. It's good enough that it's warranted 7 OVA's so far. I mean, the club president of the Robotic's Club does nothing but make vibrators lol.

Edited by newp

1. Death Note. - The story is amazing. I've never felt more emotion from an anime before.

2. Elfen Lied - Loved it since I was in high school. A lot more gory then I usually like, but the story is really good.

3. Trigun - Again the story.

4. Samurai Champloo - Again, the story. Kinda tied with trigun actually.

5. Full Metal Alchemist - Alchemy and stuff.

Well, I haven't watched ALOT of anime, but I think I could give my opinion at this time.

5. Cowboy Bebop

An action/comedy series that is about an intergalactic mercenary (otherwise known as a Cowboy) that does work to get cash from the authorities just to get some decent meals on the table. Most of the time, however, something stops him from getting the reward. I would definetly recommend this series.

4. Trigun

Another action/comedy series that is also based in space. A $$60,000,000,000.00 man known as Vash the Stampede, is wanted for the destruction of a whole city. The only thing is, despite him being the best shot around, he doesn't kill people and tries to get people to just be a lot more nice. A great series, although it gets more serious later in the series.

3. The Familiar of Zero

The only true romance anime I watched, and it also has plenty of action. This series is about a girl named Louis (the zero) that can't correctly cast any spell, except an explosion. During the summoning ritual where she summons her familiar, a Japanese boy ends up coming out of said summoning portal. The only real problem with this series is that it only has the first season dubbed in English. The other three seasons are only English subbed due to Funimation not getting enough ratings. This series is WELL worth it!

2. Code Geass

Anyone that loves strategy games will most likely love this series! This series is about a kid named Lelouche, who was once an heir to the throne of Brittania, was moved to Japan, later to be conquered by Brittania and renamed area 11. It is an action series that has constant plot twists to keep you on your toes, and on season 2 (R2) it has one of the best endings I have seen (although the Familiar of Zero takes the cake for its ending.)

1. Death Note

The best anime I watched, it even got me into anime with the mystery and its tense situations. A mystery series about a Japanese boy who is just finishing High School who is bored with the world. Luckily for him, a Shinigami (God of Death) is also bored, and decided to drop a book called the Death Note, a notebook that allows you to kill anyone as long as you know their name and face. The only draw back is that, after L dies, Light Yagami (aforementioned Japanese boy) gets sloppy, and a bigger plot hole arises, that I am not satisfied how it is explained even in the manga. Either way, it is worth it, and you will most likely end up rooting for the one who is evil. Light Yagami.

Edited by Justice

3. The Familiar of Zero

The only true romance anime I watched, and it also has plenty of action. This series is about a girl named Louis (the zero) that can't correctly cast any spell, except an explosion. During the summoning ritual where she summons her familiar, a Japanese boy ends up coming out of said summoning portal. The only real problem with this series is that it only has the first season dubbed in English. The other three seasons are only English subbed due to Funimation not getting enough ratings. This series is WELL worth it!

I've somehow never heard of this anime, and it sounds like one that I would love. Thank you for posting that here! :P

I've somehow never heard of this anime, and it sounds like one that I would love. Thank you for posting that here! :P

No problem, also, here are the other three seasons, it was a bit difficult for me to find myself, actually.

zero no tsukaima futatsuki no kishi

zero no tsukaima princess no rondo

zero no tsukaima F

I would also like to point out that I may not have found it unless 2 things had happened in the order they happened.

1. I saw Haruko's profile picture and wondered what anime it was from, and

2. I saw my friend watching an episode on his phone one day.

Once the second thing happened I actually put two and two together and realized it was the same anime. Then curiosity got the better of me, along with my friends recommendation (despite the fact that he actually likes an anime that I dislike but would prefer not to name,) and I decided to watch it. The funny thing is, my brother finished watching before me, even though I introduced it to him while I was halfway done, and I finished a week ago, yet my friend still hasn't finished.

Well, I just wanted to get all that out somewhere that would be most appropriate, along with placing it after a recommendation. Hope you like the series, -Justice

I'm much more of a western cartoon person than an anime person, but I have seen a few, mainly silly ecchi harems loaded with fanservice.

5. Girls Bravo

My introduction to the anime ecchi/harem genre, it's about a really short guy who breaks out in a rash every time a woman touches him. He ends up meeting this alien girl from a planet where 90 percent of the population is women, she is very naive and really likes him immediately, which is a new thing for him. After that they basically just throw in a bunch of other women including a loli later in the series and come up with tons of exuses to pander to various fetishes (such as tentacles and crossdressing) and show the characters naked (ex: a hot springs episode, an episode about eating bananas). There's also this popular rich guy who's a total pervert and ends up joining everyone in all kinds of riduclous things, like he has maids with submachineguns to protect his mansion, he owns a mud-boxing arena, etc. There's nudity in practically every episode.

4. Rosario + Vampire

Another harem loaded with fanservice about this loser guy who accidentally enrolls in a school for supernatural beings that can take the form of humans. He becomes friends with a vampire girl, a succubus, a "snow woman", a loli witch, and some others, and usually every episode has a climactic fight scene where the vampire girl transforms into her badass vampire form and beats up some other creature that is attacking her friends.

3. Sekirei

Ecchi harem about these alien girls who need some sort of master (forget what they call them) to unlock their potential as crazy fighters so they can compete in some nationwide tournament where only one of them will be left alive, which is overseen by some guy with a maniacal laugh who loves to stand on the edge of really tall buildings. The main guy failed college twice and had nowhere to live until he met the girls, and he ended up becoming their "master" thing, once again including a loli. There's a group bath/shower scene in pretty much every episode, plus fight scenes where clothes get ripped off, so...yeah.

2. Highschool Of The Dead

Harem, although this one focuses on brutal, bloody violence more than nudity. The action scenes are actually REALLY good, even if most of the dialogue is cheesy. It's actually the reason I found out about this site, there is an omo scene, and I looked it up on YouTube and in the description was this site. Here is the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6sLVRtNFYo&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&feature=mh_lolz

It was brief but it was a very pleasant surprise. There are only 12 episodes so far but they are making a second season. It's basically just about surviving the zombie apocalypse.

1. Death Note

This absolutely blew me away when I first saw it, I watched every episode in just two days. The less you know about it the better, the plot gets very complicated but not to the point where it's too difficult to follow and it is just BRILLIANT and so exciting.

EDIT: I am greatly looking forward to when Highschool DxD, Haganai and this other ecchi I can't remember the name of comes out in English.

Edited by Chewy

You should check out Code Geass, it is my favourite anime and has a very in-depth plot. They made two seasons and are making a third (which has its own story). It's a sci-fi fantasy where Geass is a power you use on others with your mind, and it has giant mechas in it that are pretty amazing.

Girls Bravo was pretty hilarious. I'm pretty sure I watched the "mahjong" episode more times that I can remember lol

Noein- a sort of indie sci fi anime full of interdimentional travel, warped realities, altered timelines and a battle to save all of existence. 

Neon Genesis Evangelion- the classic meca anime right? Where creatures are coming to destroy mankind and all the usual stuff. Maybe I'm just someone who got the show or something?

One Piece- One very stretchy kid on a quest to become the pirate king. I love weird stuff, and this certainly doesn't disappoint. 

Azumanga Diaoh- Just a weirdness factory. I'm not even sure what it's about. The most confusing thing I've ever watched, which makes it great in my book.

Monster- A brilliant neurosurgeon, at odds with his moral choices in the hospital he works at has a boy come in with a gunshot wound to the head, he decides to save this boy to redeem himself, only to have the boy turn out to be a murderer, and psychopathic serial killer. To right his wrongs he sets out to hunt his former patient down, and stop his killing spree.  Just brilliant My current favorite series.

Azumanga Diaoh would have fallen 6th on my list. A lot of randomness.

5 Death note

4 Girls bravo

3 dragonball series/ highschool of the dead

2 fullmetal alchemist

1 My otome

Azumanga Diaoh- Just a weirdness factory. I'm not even sure what it's about. The most confusing thing I've ever watched, which makes it great in my book.

I love me some Azumanga Diaoh, but it's the most confusing anime you've seen?

I only think I've ever really watched six animes, and after reading this topic's title I realized it was a top five thing so I thought I should at least order them. Even though there's six.  Ok, here we go.

6: Vampire Knight (2 series, 26 episodes)

Originally a manga. This one's basically about Yuki Cross and (you guessed it) vampires. Cross Academy has two classes for both day and night, and the night class students are all vampires. Yuki has a crush on their leader, Kaname Kuran, but her childhood friend Zero Kiryu hates them with a passion as they took his parents and turned him into a vampire. Very interesting storyline, with a whole heap of twists and turns. Not at all like Twilight (thank god).

5: Fruits Basket (1 series, 26 episodes)

Originally a manga. Basically, Tohru Honda is an orphan who moves out of her grandfather's house into a tent to support herself (she hates being a burden to others). She is found by Yuki, Shigure and Kyo Sohma who take her in. However, she finds out that they have a curse from the Chinese Zodiac - whenever they embrace someone from the opposite sex (excluding other Sohmas, who all have this curse) they turn into a member of the Zodiac. Yuki is the mouse, Shigure is the dog and Kyo is the cat. The story of the Zodiac is that the animals were going to a party and the mouse tricked the cat into going a day late, so it was never accepted as a member of the Zodiac - therefore, the mouse and the cat have never liked each other. Kyo and Yuki are no exception. The plot basically follows their daily lives, regularly adding in new Sohma characters. No saving the world or big action is involved, so if that's what you're looking for you're in the wrong anime.

4: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (1 series, 12 episodes, 3 films)

Adapted into a manga. I've only just started watching this one, and I'm five episodes in (darn ABC iView, only releasing one episode a week). In this anime, Madoka Kaname and Homura Akemi are asked for help by a sort of white fox-dog-cat called Kyubey. They find Sayaka Miki attempting to destroy him, and Mami Tomoe comes in and saves the day. Once safe, Mami tells Madoka and Homura that she and Sayaka are Magical Girls. Kyubey offers the two high school students one wish, but if he grants it, they will become Magical Girls, who are bound to fight Witches (who cause all manners of nasties from mass murders to suicides.). Mami ends up dying at the hands of a particularly fearsome witch but Madoka and Homura are saved by Sayaka, who warns them not to become Magical Girls. Kyoko Sakura (a veteran Magical Girl) comes to take claim of Mami's old area, but Homura had accepted Kyubey's contract and got there first. Sayaka shows up in the midst of things and... that's as far as I've gotten. The action fight scenes are awesome, and apparently later on there's time travel, one of my favourite things. The first two films apparently sum up the series and the third is an original story. EDIT: If you want to know what Kyubey looks like, check out OmniLisk's avatar: https://omorashi.org/user/7202-omnilisk/

3: Ouran High School Host Club (1 series, 26 episodes)

Originally a manga (I'm beginning to sense a pattern here). At Ouran Academy, a private school for wealthy families, Haruhi Fujioka has been enrolled due to her merit scholarship and not her money, as she is not mega-rich. She stumbles on the Host Club, a group of guys who entertain the girls at Ouran Academy all the way from kindergarten to university. Haruhi accidentally breaks an ¥8,000,000 ($80,000) vase that was to be auctioned off, so the guys (mistaking her gender-ambiguous face for a guy's) make her join the hugely popular Host Club to repay her debt. Eventually, they find out she is a girl, but keep it a secret to help with the Host Club's success. The members of the Host Club are:

Tamaki Suoh, the leader of the club who rounded everyone up. He plays the princely type in the Club and is quite narcissistic and gullible.

Kyouya Ootori is the brains behind the Club who works out income and profits and stuff. Without him the whole thing would crumble. He is viewed as the cool type.

Hikaru and Kaoru Hitachiin are troublemaking twins who play off the female students by faking a homoerotic relationship. They are the little devil type.

Mitsukuni Haninozuka, or "Honey", plays the loli shotacon type, as he looks a lot younger than he actually is. He is a martial arts expert despite his size.

Takashi Morinozuka, or "Mori", is the strong and silent type. He is very protective of Honey, and is the only one who calls him by his first name.

This anime is a really funny romance, and has so many laugh-out-loud moments in it.

2: Eden of the East (1 series, 11 episodes, 3 movies)

Not affiliated with any manga. A man wakes up with no memory and no clothes, only a gun and a phone that has ¥8,200,000,000 on it. Saki Morimi, a Japanese woman, helps him out and travels back to Japan with him. Through his phone, the man finds out he is Akira Takizawa and that he lives in a shopping center. He also discovers that he is a Seleção and that there are eleven other Seleção who all got phones with ¥10,000,000,000. They were chosen by a Mr Outside, who believed that Japan as a nation was failing and chose twelve people to help save it. There is a Supporter who will eliminate Seleção if they use the money for mostly selfish needs, however. The first movie is a summary of the series and the other two were chosen instead of a second series. It's really good, and contains mystery about the other eleven Seleção throughout the series. I haven't seen the movies though :(

1: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (2 seasons, 50 episodes)

Adapted into four, seperate mangas. My first and favourite anime, Code Geass is set in the future with only three superpowers: Britannia, the Chinese Federation and the European Union. Japan is now Area 11. Lelouch Lamperouge is a brilliantly smart student at Ashford Academy who encounters C.C (pronounced C-two), an immortal woman who grants Lelouch Geass in exchange that he grants her greatest wish. Geass gives Lelouch the power to give a person one command that they must follow if they look into his right eye. He starts up a band of rebels and calls himself Zero, and leads his rebels called the Black Knights. His best friend, Suzaku Kururugi, is part of the Britannean Army's division against Zero. Both want the Britannean Empire to change. The anime includes giant mechas, which are called Knightmare Frames. They're pretty awesome. Anyone familiar with Artemis Fowl's capers? That's the sort of genius Zero applies to his military operations. Apparently there's a third season planned with new characters, can't wait!

Edited by Zapdos

I only really got into anime recently. My top favorite, in no particular order are:

Angel Beats- after world high school

DragonballZ-syain race versus the universe

Rosario + Vampire- A regular guy goes to a monster academy and befriends a vampire, witch, and something else

Death Note- the ultimate murder mystery

Dragonball- laid back version of dragonballZ

Edited by KulkJ.Beans

Well this is not my "top favorite of all time" (way too much to mention)

Here are my current favorites in no particular order

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMTONhLUj0Y

Despite being a relatively short, the series really hits home as it's essentially the embodiment of childhood

When childhood friend Menma passes away due to an accident, the group of friends drift apart. Jintan is mainly affected by such  a loss that he stays home as a hikkimori. One summer day, the ghost of an older looking Menma appears before him and asks to have a wish granted. The two gather their companions Anaru, Yukiatsu, Tsuruko, and Poppo together in order to gain her wish, but lingering feelings and conflicts are among them.

Katanagatari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2dm5SsHGrU

One of the most under-rated samurai animes. From its distinct art style and collectathon/character driven narrative, it is an epic worth mentioning.

Katanagatari is the story of Yasuri Shichika, a swordsman that fights without a sword, and Togame, a strategist that seeks to collect twelve legendary swords from their present wielders. Other seek the deivant blades for its unique properties including Maniwani Corp leader Ho and Princess Hitei with her follower Emonzaemon, strong opponent willing to fight Shichika and Togame for these weapons.

Psycho Pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozw8e_WSDI0

After watching Fate/Zero, I was hyped for the upcoming sci-fi series and was not disappointed with its slight Cowboy Bebop narrative and its themes drawn from dystopian novels such as Orwell's 1984 and Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Psycho-Pass is set in a future where it is possible to instantaneously measure a person's mental state, personality, and the probability that a person will commit crimes is determined by person's "Crime Coefficient" index. If the index too high, the person is deemed as a latent criminal. The plot focuses on newcomer Inspector Akane Tsunemori and the team of latent criminals including Shinya Kogami obsessed with capturing an illusive criminal named Shogo Makishima

Shinsekai Yori

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGDV_jiJSHE

Originally a passive anime season watch, I grew to like the series for its themes on humanity (fear, discrimination, and sexuality) *avoid episode 8 if you're homophobic (yaoi/yuri alert)*

Follows the perspective of Saki along with her companions Satoru, Maria, Mamoru, and Shun and their fight to protect one another in this monster-infested world. This new world is conceived as a utopia with its Tibet/Buddhist heritage and the people god-like abilities to use telekinesis. However, after an incident, the group unrevails the true nature of their world and discovers the dark history of humanity that is still haunts the district they live in.

Fate/Zero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-7PFiut1HI

Using the Fate/ franchise to the fullest, Madoka Magica creator Gen Urobuchi makes a flawless transition in the series that focuses on what happened during the 3rd Holy Grail War.

With the Einzbern losing the previous wars, the family hires magus killer Kiritsugu Emiya. The series focuses mostly on the magus struggles to find happiness with his new-found family and fulfulling his ideal of saving everybody as a hero with his servant, the legendary King Arthur or Saber. Six other master with their servants fight for the Holy Grail, including Kirei Kotomine, a priest who cannot find any sense of fulfillment in his life and sets his sights on Kiritsugu as the possible answer to the emptiness he feels.

Hmm my top 5...Hard guess, i like alot XD....

5. I'd probably say bleach, Yes, one of those mainstream ones...It was the first one i watched and i really liked it, i guess it's a matter of oppinion, everyone pretty knows about it too, some random 15 year old guy gets some sort of powers and so on.

4. Mirai nikki

Good anime, really blew my mind when i first watched it. It's about a student that is pretty much a loner, and has a diary on his phone, he too has this imagination(or is it?) of a godlike being called Deus something(it's been a while, sorry XD)

3. Death note

Amazing anime, smart kid gets a notebook that let's him kill people, he uses it to kill all the evil criminals, yet ends up losing it pretty much and well...kinda goes insane in the end

2. Code Geass

A really in-depth story of a rather smart student that gets dragged in a terrorist action, then gains a power geass that lets him take control of people's actions pretty much

1. Clannad

Not much i can say about it, even though being my fav. the story is so good and it's really nice tbh...You should give it a try, yes YOU reading this post!

Hmm my top 5...Hard guess, i like alot XD....

5. I'd probably say bleach, Yes, one of those mainstream ones...It was the first one i watched and i really liked it, i guess it's a matter of oppinion, everyone pretty knows about it too, some random 15 year old guy gets some sort of powers and so on.

4. Mirai nikki

Good anime, really blew my mind when i first watched it. It's about a student that is pretty much a loner, and has a diary on his phone, he too has this imagination(or is it?) of a godlike being called Deus something(it's been a while, sorry XD)

3. Death note

Amazing anime, smart kid gets a notebook that let's him kill people, he uses it to kill all the evil criminals, yet ends up losing it pretty much and well...kinda goes insane in the end

2. Code Geass

A really in-depth story of a rather smart student that gets dragged in a terrorist action, then gains a power geass that lets him take control of people's actions pretty much

1. Clannad

Not much i can say about it, even though being my fav. the story is so good and it's really nice tbh...You should give it a try, yes YOU reading this post!

actually i had seen Clannad, its pretty good (most of Kyoto animations are) but i prefer the After Story more if not for the focus on Nagisa.

Bleach is fine (its not MY favorite but it has to be someones right? )

In terms of favorite" mainstream" it's like a two way tie between the D.Gray Man and Katekyo Hitman Reborn anime, all 100+ 200+ episodes *sigh*

Hahaha, prepare for stuff you probably haven't heard of.

1. Martian Successor Nadesico - A fry cook crashes into his old childhood friend and tails her to a new civilian warship with a quirky and mostly female crew. He becomes a cook/pilot, and the Nadesico takes off for Mars in a witty, self-aware space opera parody. I'm a little biased on this because it was basically my first anime but it's really good.

2. Armored Trooper VOTOMS - Chirico Cuvie is on an unusual mission when he comes across something he shouldn't have. His squad betrays him, and he very nearly dies. He shows up later in the city of Woodo, and meets a trio of goofy, loveable characters. It's a darker show, but it doesn't go too far down that road. It's also really good.

3. Shin Mazinger - Kouji Kabuto is an ordinary high school student, when he finds out that his grandpa has been building a giant robot. With its power, you can become a god or a devil. His grandfather is soon killed by the evil Dr. Hell's forces, and it's up to Kouji to fight him. A re-imagining of the original Mazinger Z, this throws in a lot of characters from other Go Nagai works. It's slower than most super robot shows, but when it gets good, it gets good. Don't start with episode one.

4. s-CRY-Ed - Some time ago, there was a natural disaster that separated a large chunk of Japan. This island is called the "Lost Ground," and 1% of the people born on it become "Alter Users," people with super powers. This follows the story of Kazuma and Ryuho, as well as the plans the mainland has for Alter Users.

5. Symphogear - Hibiki Tachibana is an ordinary, unreliable young girl. She was supposed to go to a concert with a friend, but said friend couldn't make it. During the concert, monsters called Noise atttack, and the singers transform using their Symphogears. Shard's of one of the Gears get stuck in Hibiki, and she later becomes a Gear user herself. Singing, punching, friendship, and lesbians ensue.

Hahaha, prepare for stuff you probably haven't heard of.

1. Martian Successor Nadesico - A fry cook crashes into his old childhood friend and tails her to a new civilian warship with a quirky and mostly female crew. He becomes a cook/pilot, and the Nadesico takes off for Mars in a witty, self-aware space opera parody. I'm a little biased on this because it was basically my first anime but it's really good.

2. Armored Trooper VOTOMS - Chirico Cuvie is on an unusual mission when he comes across something he shouldn't have. His squad betrays him, and he very nearly dies. He shows up later in the city of Woodo, and meets a trio of goofy, loveable characters. It's a darker show, but it doesn't go too far down that road. It's also really good.

3. Shin Mazinger - Kouji Kabuto is an ordinary high school student, when he finds out that his grandpa has been building a giant robot. With its power, you can become a god or a devil. His grandfather is soon killed by the evil Dr. Hell's forces, and it's up to Kouji to fight him. A re-imagining of the original Mazinger Z, this throws in a lot of characters from other Go Nagai works. It's slower than most super robot shows, but when it gets good, it gets good. Don't start with episode one.

4. s-CRY-Ed - Some time ago, there was a natural disaster that separated a large chunk of Japan. This island is called the "Lost Ground," and 1% of the people born on it become "Alter Users," people with super powers. This follows the story of Kazuma and Ryuho, as well as the plans the mainland has for Alter Users.

5. Symphogear - Hibiki Tachibana is an ordinary, unreliable young girl. She was supposed to go to a concert with a friend, but said friend couldn't make it. During the concert, monsters called Noise atttack, and the singers transform using their Symphogears. Shard's of one of the Gears get stuck in Hibiki, and she later becomes a Gear user herself. Singing, punching, friendship, and lesbians ensue.

Ive heard most of these shows, but only seen Nadesico. This is a still a plenty good list, really intriguted about VOTOMS  XP

Dragon ball and Dragon ball z- Gt sucked couldn't watch more them 5 episodes

Fullmetal Alchemist- brotherhood on par with original for me.

Elfien Lied- Gore omo scene and plot

Black Butler- Ciel is so cute

Ouran Highschool Host club- Lighthearted funny good anime

5-One Piece: The story of a boy's journey to become the pirate king. Wacky and funny.

4-Death Note: Agreeing with everyone else, awesome story.

3-Naruto: A ninja anime, similar to One Peace in it's appeal.

2-YuYu Hakusho: A fighting anime. Great characters and a good story.

1-RWBY: A new anime created by Roosterteeth.  Funny and with the potential to develop a great storyline.

I put this as number one because I trust them to fulfill that potential.

5. Kino's Journey- a very deep anime about the experiences of a girl who rides a motorcycle from town to town, only stopping in each place for 3 days, no more, no less. The story is intense, deep and brilliant. If you haven't watched it, you're missing out.

4. .Hack//Sign- an anime about someone who finds themselves trapped in an online game with no memory of who they are, where they are, or what's going on in the outside world, and the people who try to help them get out. I'll recommend watching it twice, because the storyline can be a bit of a mindfuck, but when everything finally falls into place, zomg is it well worth it.

3. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood- previously summarised?

2. Naruto

1. Loveless- a 12 episode anime about a boy who can't remember anything prior his brothers death, and is trying to piece together what happened with the help of a friend of his brother.

I'm going to say this now, it does seem a little sketchy, and may seem like it's cutting it close to being a yaoi, but it's not really a yaoi at all. Depends on how well you follow the storyline as to whether you'll perceive things like that, I suppose.

5. Elfen Lied - It had a strange but captivating quality that  made me want to watch more, plus helped by one wetting scene of course ;-)

4. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Controversial? probably, but this was the first major Japanese anime that I watched as a kid, and for this reason I'm looking forward to the remaining re-imagined version that has recently being coming out.

3. Cowboy Bebop - Its been mentioned a couple times already in previous posts, but basic premise is Space Solar System Bounty Hunter Spike and his struggles attempting to bring in the worsrst in a solar system ripped apart by the near destruction of earth many years previous. Definitely one of my favorites.

2. Claymore - Half Yoma-Half Human Female "Claymores" defend the world against Yoma & Awakened Beings, sounds simple? The Kicker; WIth the half yoma power they gain, comes the risk of turning into a full Yoma themselves unless they are 'saved' by other Claymore's....suffice to say there is never a happy ending for a Claymore. Its brilliant, go watch it.

1. Ghost In The Shell - Seriously...this can never be beaten IMO I loved the story premise, the characters and the general vibe. Anyone and everyone who knows anime has and should have seen/heard about this over the years and it will always continue to be a classic in my eyes, if you've never watched it, go do it now!