Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Melissa Explains it All game. License?

Does anyone know who created the Melissa Explains it All game?  All I see is "Game Engine 3.0 by drw"... I don't see any type of copyright or license that would let me know who it's appropriate to reuse elements for derivative projects.  Considering a rewrite or expansion but don't want to do so if the original author is going to be pissed about it later.

If I recall right the website where the game has been originally distributed went offline a few years ago. I don't think you will have any problems in rewriting or expanding some code when you always give credit to the original product. Google for the game https://www.google.de/gws_rd=cr#newwindow=1&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=melissa+explains+it+all+drw&oq=melissa+explains+it+all+drw&gs_l=hp.3...259.4935.0.5005.16.13.0.3.3.0.121.1160.10j2.12.0....0...1c.1.21.psy-ab.Iry2PmADh-M&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49478099%2Cd.Yms%2Cpv.xjs.s.en_US.c75bKy5EQ0A.O&fp=c54640ed409ec3e&biw=1920&bih=955 and you will find the game in the first two links as online version. Not very helpful at all but it is the only information i could find.

Edited by Redia (see edit history)

I would love to see an update / expansion to this game. If you do do anything with it I look forward to seeing it

if you are interested, there are a couple of later versions than 3.0 ... there is 3.2 and version 3 with an expansion which is actually a different game entirely.

from what I can tell from what I have, and this rings a bell from when I got these a few years back, but the username of the guy who wrote them was Faust.

melissa version 3.2.html

melissa version 3 with expansion.html

Open the version 3 with expansion and you will find this in the first lines of the code : 

/*

You may modify and re-distribute this file.  Author accepts no
  responsibility for anything related to it...

*/
I think this will answer your question finally.

BTW where did you get this two files? I have never seen this versions before...
Edited by Redia (see edit history)

What exactly is this game?

It's something of a text based adventure/choose your own adventure game, where the player takes on the role of a guy going on a date with one of four girls, and the player must manage their desperation levels, going to various locations around the town. 

Now this is a blast from the past. As it happens, I wrote the expansions years ago (Trish's scenario in 2009 and Alicia's in 2010), although I don't know who wrote the original version. I believe I first encountered it on the animegirldesp forums back in 2008 or earlier.

Kudos to you for the expansion, it's pretty inventive :)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know who created the Melissa Explains it All game?  All I see is "Game Engine 3.0 by drw"... I don't see any type of copyright or license that would let me know who it's appropriate to reuse elements for derivative projects.  Considering a rewrite or expansion but don't want to do so if the original author is going to be pissed about it later.

DRW used to have his own site but that doesn't exist anymore. But I think he is still present on PSearch so you could actually drop him a private message. Anyway I recall that he was perfectly happy about others expanding or revising the game. The Date with Jenny game used some of the features as a base.

from what I can tell from what I have, and this rings a bell from when I got these a few years back, but the username of the guy who wrote them was Faust.

This is quite an old post but if I remember correctly Faust just spread it around and uploaded it to the site. I believe he also made a cheat version where the character has the maximum amount of all items.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how to get Alicia to come home at the same time of the boyfriend in the expansion? I've done it for Trish but I can't seem to get it for Alicia. Is it even possible?

No it isn't. I considered coming up with a scene for that, but then I decided that because Alicia was so much more submissive than Trish (and still quite conscious) the situation would end up going in a direction that really didn't fit with the rest of the content. There is a bonus scene with Joey at the end of Alicia's scenario, though, in case you haven't found it.