Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Madoka Magica

2011 was around the tale end of the miserable portion of my adolescence. There's not many relics I'd go back in time there to retrieve, but I'd love to have caught Madoka when it was new, or at least before everyone knew what a wreck the entire premise turned out to be. I've only seen a few other magical girl series and am not overly interested in the genre, but what I'd give to go into this series expecting a lighthearted, fun magical girl show only to be shocked, appalled, horrified and saddened.

(JK I love horribly depressing anime.)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/12/2013 at 11:41 PM, newp said:

Kyubey is a very interesting character. I find it difficult to define him as a villain simply because taking emotions and bias out of the equation, all of his actions are 100% justifiable.

I'd take that farther. I simply can't see him as a villain at all. He did nothing wrong besides causing grief in a couple of people, but that was all for the greater good; it was helping the universe by decreasing entropy (I had to really suspend my disbelief while watching, but oh well) and therefore delaying the heat death of the universe. But if even that wasn't enough of a 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few' thing for you, the Incubators even helped the humans along with their evolution to bring them to where they are today.

Causing grief in a couple of select people in exchange for advanced evolution to all of humankind, not to mention a delayed heat death of the universe meaning how many more countless theoretical people can live out their lives? That's the kind of thing a hero does, not a villain.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...